Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 28-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #41
Madison

next pic ~ star polyp ~ place higher in the tank...stronger light and current...will multiply like weeds when tank is stable...see my gallery...it started from 2 inches to about 24 inches in a couple of months

Regal tang ~ blue tang ~ Dory need at least 100+ gallons for it to last longer then 3 months...keep a very close eye on your water...tends to get ick...keep the tank temp lower...around 75 degrees...supplement with nori (seaweed) and once a month some lettuce/napa...if stressed...it may get helle (white lines on face)...if ick...do not treat with copper...it will destroy your invertabrates and soft corals...hypo salinity is the best cure
Old 28-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #42
Madison

keep an close eye to your nudibranch...it releases toxins when it's dead. it might lay a ribbon of eggs on the glass...scrape it out immediately...it's nasty for your water if it get's sucked in to your filters..

From your gallery...on the top right, you have a galaxina...you might want to get MH's for it to trive...

Sorry...so much unsolicited info...just hate to see you spend so much money and not have it live
Old 28-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #43
yan

[QUOTE=Madison;4683749]next pic ~ star polyp ~ place higher in the tank...stronger light and current...will multiply like weeds when tank is stable...see my gallery...it started from 2 inches to about 24 inches in a couple of months

beautiful tank How you maintain it from party pics,is that you?
Old 28-10-2006, 10:25 PM   #44
Dirtbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison View Post
keep an close eye to your nudibranch...it releases toxins when it's dead. it might lay a ribbon of eggs on the glass...scrape it out immediately...it's nasty for your water if it get's sucked in to your filters..

From your gallery...on the top right, you have a galaxina...you might want to get MH's for it to trive...

Sorry...so much unsolicited info...just hate to see you spend so much money and not have it live
I have separated the aduilt nudibranch and its eggs from my tank and return back to the LFS...
this baby nudibranch has been living in my tank for some time and its growing fast...

Yeah currently looking into getting a MH lighting... can u kindly teach me what type of MH should i use and the price...
Old 28-10-2006, 10:52 PM   #45
Dirtbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
Addition of a denitrator is useful if you do not have any means of dentrification, that is to convert nitrates to nitrogen gas. However, a denitrator in general is quite costly so this may put some hobbyists off.

An alternative would be to use biohome as filter media. This media is supposed to have anaerobic zones within it to allow dentrification to take place. Biohome is also quite costly.

Either way, you would need to wait for the media to mature before seeing any effects of dentrification.

A change of filter is not likely to have caused the algae outbreak. It could have been coinicidence that the outbreak occured around the time you changed the canister filter.
Thanks for the explainations...
but how is a dinitrator function and how to maintain it?
is it like using the PO4 reactor having a slow flow rate inside a cylinder with some kind of media???

I have recently upgrade my canistor filter to the Eheim 2028, 1st tray using the seachem matrix, 2nd tray using the substrate given in the package and the last tray using the bio rings given in the package too...
is this arrangement - ok???
Old 29-10-2006, 12:29 AM   #46
KaLiB

Is there any filter wool to mechanically remove particles from the water? Its possible that detritous and other particles are sucked into the filter, get stuck and rot in the media and cause a nutrient spike which may have caused the algae growth.

A denitrator has some sort of media in there which would remove nitrates. Think its some sort of media that allows bacteria to grow but would require feeding. I can't remember the exact workings of a denitrator. This piece of equipment isn't cheap though, at least a 3 digit figure.
Old 29-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #47
Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker View Post
I have separated the aduilt nudibranch and its eggs from my tank and return back to the LFS...
this baby nudibranch has been living in my tank for some time and its growing fast...

Yeah currently looking into getting a MH lighting... can u kindly teach me what type of MH should i use and the price...
MH's are quite expensive here in the US...the best bang from your buck is probably the double ended 250 watt 14K or 18k's retro kit with the ballast...it's about $250/@ here

Good luck!
Old 29-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #48
Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker View Post
Thanks for the explainations...
but how is a dinitrator function and how to maintain it?
is it like using the PO4 reactor having a slow flow rate inside a cylinder with some kind of media???

I have recently upgrade my canistor filter to the Eheim 2028, 1st tray using the seachem matrix, 2nd tray using the substrate given in the package and the last tray using the bio rings given in the package too...
is this arrangement - ok???
Personally in my opinion the best way is to use a natural nutrient export such as caluerpa's...personally I have a sump with mud and micro's...no wet dry no denitrators and I have a constant 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 0 to 5ppm nitrate after 3 months of not changing water.
Old 29-10-2006, 12:49 PM   #49
Madison

[QUOTE=yan;4684350]
Quote:
next pic ~ star polyp ~ place higher in the tank...stronger light and current...will multiply like weeds when tank is stable...see my gallery...it started from 2 inches to about 24 inches in a couple of months

beautiful tank How you maintain it from party pics,is that you?
is it so hard to believe that a girl can like this hobbie?
Old 29-10-2006, 01:25 PM   #50
Dirtbiker

Quote:
Personally in my opinion the best way is to use a natural nutrient export such as caluerpa's...personally I have a sump with mud and micro's...no wet dry no denitrators and I have a constant 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 0 to 5ppm nitrate after 3 months of not changing water.
mud...?
what kind of mud...?
and what's micro's...???
can u kindly pls show me some pictures of your sump tank?