Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 30-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #141
LauLanChu
Dragon

Being born and educate in local Sg he should know race and religion context is of very sensitive issue here, and he intentionally cross the line....what can we called this, against the mainstream or trying to be funny? No religion or race has offended him, why need he insult them? Just cannot understand, only can think of he is attention seeker or something wrong up there. If he don't like it he can quietly leave the country, why need to do such an act? He is in Sg...ask god why he is born here..
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #142
globalcookie
Dragon

Again... as I mentioned., depends on which side of the coin we look at things. Like mentioned earlier, there are sensitive things done by others on this matter yet they were not persecuted like AY is.

Different way of looking at things
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 10:07 PM   #143
leeqf
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Again... as I mentioned., depends on which side of the coin we look at things. Like mentioned earlier, there are sensitive things done by others on this matter yet they were not persecuted like AY is.

Different way of looking at things
Sometime when I looked at our laws also disparity..cbt or cheating cases need sentencing like 30-40 years....almost life sentences (APB/SIA's guys). Like rapists, kidnappers who killed, murderers, paedophiles, drug traffickers, arms traffickers no qualm in long sentences or to the gallows.
leeqf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 02:29 AM   #144
globalcookie
Dragon

I've been asking myself for awhile. What values are we teaching our young?

Sadly, I'm disagreeing with the system more and more with each incidents.

We are at a point where the government has grown over complacent, teaching the children the wrong thing that they cannot make mistakes (and let's not forget we learn better with mistakes made), building on sensitivity which shd rather be teaching us about openness to accept difference in opinions (which also makes us wanting to learn more), intolerance, unforgiving, myopic and narrow mindedness, massive bullying, teaching thqt bureaucracy is the way to go,teaching that the law is unjust to begin with, teaching double standards is the right way to go,etc.

We are going the wrong way.

Last edited by globalcookie; 31-12-2016 at 02:31 AM.
Old 31-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #145
LauLanChu
Dragon

Our education system has not changed much for the past 30 - 40 yrs, so we are the product of such system. We chased for paper qualification, and academic results is the ultimate. Just lately there are more focus on civic/humanity subjects and CCA, leadership participation.

But one thing if you have noticed, the Chinese children come over to study our curriculum is a piece of cake to them (except the master of English)....and they usually fair better than a lot of local and took up a lot vacancies in good school. They are much hardworking than our locals. Our system should be going more East of West?
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #146
stargazer
Dragon

If he is better staying in US, all the best to him.

If he doesn't, also none of our business.

Just hope he leaves SG alone. Hope this statement is fair to all.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #147
hkh
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
If he is better staying in US, all the best to him.

If he doesn't, also none of our business.

Just hope he leaves SG alone. Hope this statement is fair to all.
Let's just put it this way......he didn't leave happily for the US........so we can expect some more indecent videos from him.......but what the hack ??
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 01:54 PM   #148
kenghua
Arofanatic

Before those with anti-govt (*cough*anti-PAP*cough*) sentiments chimes in to say it's govt's propaganda, this article is written and reported by REUTERS. Not Singapore news media.

Singapore blogger seeking U.S. asylum regrets posts in home country

Quote:
By Timothy Mclaughlin | CHICAGO
A Singaporean blogger who is seeking political asylum in the United States said on Friday he regretted inflammatory posts that landed him in jail twice in his home country.

Amos Yee, 18, who is currently detained in Illinois, told Reuters that videos he filmed insulting Singapore's late prime minister and various religions were in bad taste.

"I told you, it is hate speech, it is overly rude, it isn’t good activism," Yee said by telephone from the McHenry County Adult Correctional Facility in Illinois. "I completely regret making those videos."
The blogger said that he wanted to live in Illinois and has no plans to return to Singapore, a Southeast Asian city-state that has compulsory military service for males, which Yee said he would not take part in.
While highly critical of actions of the U.S. government abroad, particularly drone strikes in the Middle East, Yee said the country provided the best platform for spreading his political message of anarchist communism and ending private property and wage labor

Visit link to read the rest of report.

The doors are always open (as seen in this case). If life is so unbearable for you in Singapore, by all means, leave for whichever country you want to be. Our systems is not perfect, but it works. Ask the new immigrants why they decided to come here.

Last edited by kenghua; 31-12-2016 at 02:08 PM.
kenghua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 03:42 PM   #149
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauLanChu View Post
Our education system has not changed much for the past 30 - 40 yrs, so we are the product of such system.
Let me touch a little furter on what I said earlier... somehow, it has changed not too positively.

As mentioned in my above comment
We are at a point where the government has grown over complacent
In the past, old man was pushing Singaporeans (pioneers), in order to survive, we got to be the best.

Now, it is always compared as if we are the best. When we take it upon ourselves as being the best, we will lack and fall behind as others are catching up.

teaching the children the wrong thing that they cannot make mistakes (and let's not forget we learn better with mistakes made)
In the past, there were a lot of tolerance. Children makes mistakes, they get some punishment and it ends there. Now, mistakes are highly untolerated.

building on sensitivity which shd rather be teaching us about openness to accept difference in opinions (which also makes us wanting to learn more)
Why the need to keep harping on race and religion? We are very distinguished by these 2. There are quite a lot of countries that singly identify themselves by their Nationality only. This can encourage cohesion among the people as truly, One People.

intolerance, unforgiving, myopic and narrow mindedness, massive bullying, teaching that bureaucracy is the way to go
When they went witch hunting on Oppositions, and PAP MADE THE SAME MISTAKES, they hush hush theirs but amplified Opposition

teaching that the law is unjust to begin with, teaching double standards is the right way to go,etc.
Just look at the few contrasting incidents...
- Calvin Cheng in his 30s
- Former YPAP (i not bothered to google his name now) in his 30s
- Dr LWL in her 50s (or 60s??)
- AY (16yrs old when he started)

How contrasting! And, we have netizens who are forgiving on the 2, and the person LWL accused of wanting to set up a dynasty not daring to sue her... but where it comes to AY, ppl scorn him.

Also, the double standards, just look back above on mistakes by PAP and Opp.

--------------

It has grown quite much like a sore thumb sticking out. Getting too loud. In the 80s (not sure about earlier), people were a lot happier and very much tolerant/forgiving. We hardly complain even if we grumble about the iron fist rule that ppl somehow fear saying the wrong thing. But 3rd generation, I don't feel the same. We still quite fear the witch hunt effect now that we have tonnes of keyboard warriors who will dig out ppl. We are threatened with suits (imaging your ministers [PM suing Roy Nyguen] suing common man.. haiz)... I don't seems to see the same carefree faces we see in the 80s.

If we continue going this way, I think the dissent will get louder and more such AY cases will appear. Dissent doesn't appear overnight over nothing.

Anyway, it's e last day of 2016.... take out e champagne and pop it. It was a good year regardless.

Last edited by globalcookie; 31-12-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 31-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #150
stargazer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
I've been asking myself for awhile. What values are we teaching our young?

Sadly, I'm disagreeing with the system more and more with each incidents.

We are at a point where the government has grown over complacent, teaching the children the wrong thing that they cannot make mistakes (and let's not forget we learn better with mistakes made), building on sensitivity which shd rather be teaching us about openness to accept difference in opinions (which also makes us wanting to learn more), intolerance, unforgiving, myopic and narrow mindedness, massive bullying, teaching thqt bureaucracy is the way to go,teaching that the law is unjust to begin with, teaching double standards is the right way to go,etc.

We are going the wrong way.
Actually very curious bro, from where gave you the impression that our values are teaching our young the 'wrong way'?

Me not sure about other schools, but my kids schools always teach it is ok to make mistakes., respect the elderly etc. Even as parents, as my other frens also are, teach the same thing. Just give advice and do best.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote