Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 25-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #101
Luc
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by azon View Post
your ST price is heading north.. huat ah..
Heheheh....thank you thank you
Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #102
Nidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81civic View Post
1) Morale of e story ST belong to history or so called extinct, whatever left is all kept in hobbyists tank or pond, no more in e wild.

2) ST are truly from Chao Phayra River

3) ST from Mekong river are not pulchers.

Luc, u win liao........haha
I highly doubt this is true. Kelberi bahia and Kelberi araguaia both are still Cichla Kelberi. It is only the locality which is different. Scientifically speaking, they are the same fish.

ST, VT, CT are all Datnoides pulchers scientifically speaking. Traders will always come up with stuff to maximize their profits. So do you listen to the person who sells them for a living or the ones that studies them for a living?

In fact, I read an article 2 yrs ago that the "true" Datnoides pulcher died out 50yrs ago which makes it extinct a long time ago.

Personally, until there is a scientific paper on the subject, I will take ST, VT, CT as a pulcher. The bigger problem I feel is the 3bar ITs being pass of as STs. I have already see 2 in a LFS with rep. The traders are saying whatever they want now because the demand is so desperate.

At the same time, this demand is wiping out the pluchers on all other rivers. We are basically killing off this fish in the wild one river at a time.
Old 25-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #103
Luc
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
I highly doubt this is true. Kelberi bahia and Kelberi araguaia both are still Cichla Kelberi. It is only the locality which is different. Scientifically speaking, they are the same fish.

ST, VT, CT are all Datnoides pulchers scientifically speaking. Traders will always come up with stuff to maximize their profits. So do you listen to the person who sells them for a living or the ones that studies them for a living?

In fact, I read an article 2 yrs ago that the "true" Datnoides pulcher died out 50yrs ago which makes it extinct a long time ago.

Personally, until there is a scientific paper on the subject, I will take ST, VT, CT as a pulcher. The bigger problem I feel is the 3bar ITs being pass of as STs. I have already see 2 in a LFS with rep. The traders are saying whatever they want now because the demand is so desperate.

At the same time, this demand is wiping out the pluchers on all other rivers. We are basically killing off this fish in the wild one river at a time.
Bro, Kelberi Bahia and Araguaia, do they look different?
Red aro, RTG and XB do they look different?
Old 25-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #104
Luc
Senior Dragon

And, P Endlicheri: consists of Endlicheri Endlicheri and Endlicheri Congicus, so they look different?

Scientific names are very good but not always "practical"
Old 25-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #105
shaunwcl
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by azon View Post
your ST price is heading north.. huat ah..
Bro, you didn't ask if Mekong Tigers are not Pulchers then what are they? Don't tell me Microlepis, many will heart attack!
shaunwcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #106
Luc
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunwcl View Post
Bro, you didn't ask if Mekong Tigers are not Pulchers then what are they? Don't tell me Microlepis, many will heart attack!
Don't think they are Microlepis.
Prob they are just like Bahia and Araguaia, in comparison. Each have it's own beauty. Diff is that, ST is extinct in wild
Old 25-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #107
Nidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Bro, Kelberi Bahia and Araguaia, do they look different?
Red aro, RTG and XB do they look different?
Quote:
And, P Endlicheri: consists of Endlicheri Endlicheri and Endlicheri Congicus, so they look different?

Scientific names are very good but not always "practical"
The point I was disputing is that only ST from Chao Phayra River is a Pulcher. That is not true, scientifically even the ones from the mekong river are Pulcher.

I do agree that locality makes a big difference for us collectors, I am a bichir fanatic, I can see the difference from a Faranah Lap, Nigerian Lap, Guinea Lap and place value according. But I dun say a Polypterus lapradei is not a Polypterus lapradei unless frm a certain area.
Old 25-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #108
Luc
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
The point I was disputing is that only ST from Chao Phayra River is a Pulcher. That is not true, scientifically even the ones from the mekong river are Pulcher.

I do agree that locality makes a big difference for us collectors, I am a bichir fanatic, I can see the difference from a Faranah Lap, Nigerian Lap, Guinea Lap and place value according. But I dun say a Polypterus lapradei is not a Polypterus lapradei unless frm a certain area.
We never know, names of fishes(esp unknown fishes) could be conveniently named by a major collector/exporter for easy/fast sales, their convenience and resulted in this. I personally feel Kelberi Bahia and Kelberi Araguaia is very diff in appearance

Pulcher or not for Mekong Tigers, not important. Important is that, both tigers(ST and Mekong T) does have differences to me, at lease

Last edited by Luc; 25-10-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 25-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #109
81civic
clone-Mickey

Quote:
We never know, names of fishes(esp unknown fishes) could be conveniently named by a major collector/exporter for easy/fast sales, their convenience and resulted in this. I personally feel Kelberi Bahia and Kelberi Araguaia is very diff in appearance

Pulcher or not for Mekong Tigers, not important. Important is that, both tigers(ST and Mekong T) does have differences to me, at lease
Nice bro, tks for classify.
81civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #110
Nidd

Quote:
We never know, names of fishes(esp unknown fishes) could be conveniently named by a major collector/exporter for easy/fast sales, their convenience and resulted in this.

So what happens if the article I read abt Chao Phraya pulchers being extinct for the last 50 yrs turns out to be true and all the ST that was in the market 7 yrs ago are from the mekong instead? For a fish like ST where the look is very inconsistent, I think the matter of locality should be a smaller factor than say... the ST tail or the 3bar. I mean, would u pay more for a "Chao Phraya pulcher" even if it has no ST tail and is 4 bar than a "mekong pulcher" with perfect ST tail and 3 thick bar?