Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 26-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
Lizest

Default will snail be anyway beneficial for planted tank?

recently found a few snails in my planted. dont really know want to kill it. can they be any way gd for planted ?
Old 26-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
the_r0ck

This issue has been raised many times.

Try searching "snails" and you will get your answers much faster rather than waiting for replies. You will save your own time as well.

No, snails are more of an eyesore rather than a real problem. They usually just eat leftovers but if they reproduce into too big a number than the bioload from them can actually stress your biofiltraton.
Old 27-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Aquaticculture

In moderation, they're your cleaning crew. But sooner without you knowing, they'll turn your tank into India and China whereby its over populated.

In this case, prevention is better than cure. For new plants I always leave in a diluted bleech for half an hour to kill the snails before introducing them into the main tank. Too small to catch, too many, breed much faster then I noticing them and removing them...
Old 29-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
leechaorui

Snails can kill your plants and they can produce a lot of waste causing the build up of toxic. Remove them asap.

If you need to clean algae, just use a piece of cloth to help you. If algae still bothers you, go to the acquarium shop to get a bottle of medication to control algae growth.
Old 31-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
davescube

not really, snails can be useful, as to clean those leftover food.. but of course u have to control their population..
for me, having snail in the tank have an overall nature look..
Old 04-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
g10scout

Depends on the species of the snails in your tank. Don't keep too many snails.

Usually we keep apple snails and ramshorn snails to control algae growth.
Those snails attached in newly bought plants are usually pest snails. In that case it is ok to keep only 1 large pest snail.

I have a nano tank to breed ramshorn snails. I find that even ramshorn snails prefer to eat certain plant matter than algae in another 2 feet planted tank.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
antitrust

Quote:
Originally Posted by g10scout View Post
Depends on the species of the snails in your tank. Don't keep too many snails.

Usually we keep apple snails and ramshorn snails to control algae growth.
Those snails attached in newly bought plants are usually pest snails. In that case it is ok to keep only 1 large pest snail.

I have a nano tank to breed ramshorn snails. I find that even ramshorn snails prefer to eat certain plant matter than algae in another 2 feet planted tank.
haha. not true about getting pesky snails all the time! yes, they're more likely to be attached to plants you buy, but i once bought a few pots of blyxa japonica from polyart, and to my delight, it came with some apple snail eggs which hatched, a full grown malayan snail, and a baby ramshorn! LOL!

but i think i'll remove the apple snails before they start to breed cos i had one that couldn't resist chewing away my vallisneria.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:42 AM   #8
windcharm

I like to keep some trumpet snail in my tank. They helps to "move" the soil which it good for plant's root to grow. If there are too many, I throw them into my cannister filter or crash them for my fishes/shrimp to eat.