Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 07-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
KaLiB

Default HLLE & Activated Carbon

This article is from the Coral Reef & Aquarium Magazine. A study was funded by Toledo Zoo on the use of carbon and HLLE. It also includes a study on diet and HLLE(offered as a preliminary result).

Activated Carbon: HLLE Smoking Gun Found
Old 14-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
marine_lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
This article is from the Coral Reef & Aquarium Magazine. A study was funded by Toledo Zoo on the use of carbon and HLLE. It also includes a study on diet and HLLE(offered as a preliminary result).

To use or not to use Activated carbon ?
Old 14-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
KaLiB

Based on this article, IMO to be cautious, it would be better to avoid using carbon regularly and use it only on a when needed basis(Eg. to remove medication from the water).
Old 15-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
marine_lover

Quote:
Based on this article, IMO to be cautious, it would be better to avoid using carbon regularly and use it only on a when needed basis(Eg. to remove medication from the water).
Ok noted .
Old 01-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
reefer88

Quote:

No all types of carbon will cause HLLE on fish . Using good brand like Rowa, Ehiem is the way to go. I have been running Rowa carbon on my fish only system for about 3 year now and i didnt see any problem with it.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
Sun2000

I think the article mentioned that the fine carbon dust may be the cause..this is still open... so if you use good quality carbon ( like rowa) and you had washed away the fine dust of carbon...you may not see HLLE ....I think on the safe side, use only when neccessary.. personally I've seen it in freshwater ( discus) and saltwater ( emperor angel) when I used carbon ... but when removed... they healed up and I've stop using carbon since...unless need to remove copper etc..
Old 28-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
marine_lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun2000 View Post
I think the article mentioned that the fine carbon dust may be the cause..this is still open... so if you use good quality carbon ( like rowa) and you had washed away the fine dust of carbon...you may not see HLLE ....I think on the safe side, use only when neccessary.. personally I've seen it in freshwater ( discus) and saltwater ( emperor angel) when I used carbon ... but when removed... they healed up and I've stop using carbon since...unless need to remove copper etc..
it' true !
Old 02-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
yeo soon chai
Dragon

Quote:

I've read an article some years back when i was in marine that the Carbon could be one of the cause for HLLE.
Diet deficiency and stray voltage could also one of the cause.
Personally, I found that bigger species of angels and tang are more prone to this disease.
yeo soon chai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
KaLiB

Just to share an observation regarding HLLE & activated carbon.

I ran AquaPharm BlackGold in my 4x2x2 FOWLR last year, after a period, I observed my flame angel(Centropyge loricula) developing HLLE. Suspecting it might be the carbon, I removed it and have not run any carbon in my tank for the last 3months. The HLLE on my flame angel has more or less fully healed.

The other fish in my tank were not affected:
  1. Bannerfish(Heniochus acuminatus)
  2. Magnificent Foxface(Siganus Magnificus)
  3. Mimic Tang(Acanthurus pyroferus)
  4. Pajama Cardinalfish(Sphaeramia nematoptera)
  5. Zebra Dartfish(Ptereleotris Zebra)
  6. Threadin Cardinalfish (Apogon Leptacanthus)
  7. False Percula Clownfish(Amphiphoron Ocellaris)