Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 14-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #91
Velius

Cory eggs most likely. The fish will eat them for you eventually if you leave them be.
Old 14-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #92
TwistedPair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velius View Post
Cory eggs most likely. The fish will eat them for you eventually if you leave them be.
oh dear! e eggs vanquished this morning! sad
Old 14-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #93
Velius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedPair View Post
oh dear! e eggs vanquished this morning! sad
There's no need to be sad, if they spawned once then that means the conditions are good and will eventually spawn again soon(slightly colder WC can trigger most cories to spawn as well). There will be next time bro, next time.
Old 15-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #94
TwistedPair

hi bro velius, any methods to safely remove the eggs because last night i saw a couple more but they were very sticky n hard to remove frm e glass. i try tweezers, fingers n gently rolling of my index finger but jus wont bunge!partly also because i was afraid i will destroy e eggs
Old 15-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #95
Velius

Quote:
hi bro velius, any methods to safely remove the eggs because last night i saw a couple more but they were very sticky n hard to remove frm e glass. i try tweezers, fingers n gently rolling of my index finger but jus wont bunge!partly also because i was afraid i will destroy e eggs
I use my fingers as the eggs are pretty hard, the only time the cory eggs broke when using my fingers was when the eggs were freshly laid on the spot and hadn't enough time for the protective layer to harden yet(which takes very little time to).

You can try cutting a plastic straw in half vertically and use it to scrap the eggs off. Using a thin card like an old credit card works as well and safe with acrylic tanks.
Old 15-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #96
MohdSyah76

Wah got eggs liao... Congrats. Water parameters must be swee for the cory to spawn
Old 16-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #97
TwistedPair

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohdSyah76 View Post
Wah got eggs liao... Congrats. Water parameters must be swee for the cory to spawn
hahaha actually.. i'm also not sure lah.. according to my friend this cory of his keeps spawning in his tank too.

actually i managed to take two out and put it in another tank with an air pump. hopefully all turns out well. about 1 week right? algae will grow ard the egg right if not well taken care of?
Old 16-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #98
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
hahaha actually.. i'm also not sure lah.. according to my friend this cory of his keeps spawning in his tank too.

actually i managed to take two out and put it in another tank with an air pump. hopefully all turns out well. about 1 week right? algae will grow ard the egg right if not well taken care of?
It's fungus, not algae. Some bros recommend putting Methylene Blue to prevent fungus growth, but you'll have to read up on how to remove it after that.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #99
TwistedPair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
It's fungus, not algae. Some bros recommend putting Methylene Blue to prevent fungus growth, but you'll have to read up on how to remove it after that.
sorry bro jon-san. im really very noob and green w this! so im quite paranoid. will the "membrane" of the egg grow bigger? im not sure if this translucent film over the actual egg is the membrane or fungus? ill try to get a picture up soon!

for the time being, just wanted to share if this "breeder" tank would work. im actually using those $1.50 plastic tanks i use to store bullfrogs for my Arowana. i washed it.. added water frm my planted tank. added some black water and vit b! dont now if it would help? hahaha just fingers itchy!

and added an air pump. with this idk what u call it. its foam at the bottom? attach the air pump pipe to the top of it and it kinds of "cycle" or move the water?

is this good enough? or any other suggestions? i was thinkin of placing this entire tank into the main tank. but too much space and it might damage my plants.
Old 19-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #100
Velius

I currently tie some moss to a piece of canvas mesh you can find at almost any arts & crafts store and dump the cory eggs on top. The weight of the moss will keep the eggs from being out of the water surface yet at this height provided with surface agitation/ripples, it will prevent the fungi from unfertilized eggs from spreading outside the dead eggs.

I find this method just as efficient, if not, more efficient than using chemicals to prevent fungi from spreading. It's a good method to use if you can't tell fertilized and unfertilized eggs apart as well since the unfertilized eggs will turn milky white after several hours.

Here's a pic showing the method keeps the fungus from spreading outside the dead eggs even after several days:

I still use it to breed whatever eggs I feel like grabbing(pygmy eggs and a few sterbai eggs that are about to hatch):

And here's a pic to show the sterbai fries that hatched from the eggs that I got from my arowana tank: