Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 06-02-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
rainman

Default One of my CRS tanks..

Thought I'd share one of my CRS tanks.. please excuse the crappy pics!

tank size: 14"x10"x10" ~ 23L

inhabitants: 6 Hinos and 2 golden/white crs

flora: fissidens and taiwan moss on DW, and some christmas moss on mesh(not quite visible from this angle as it's behind the fissidens). also some frogbits.. I don't dose any ferts or co2 in any of my shrimp tanks.

filtration: just a simple sponge filter. been using them with some success, so never did upgrade to anything else..

substrate: some Japanese brand..forgot the name

temp: 23-25C.. mostly at 24C. No chiller, just fan during the day. at night, i have the air-condition on.

WC regiment: no water change.. I top up water daily (mosura mineral plus added) due to evaporation from the use of fan. Old sea mud powder added weekly.

lighting: 15W FL, about 6 hours daily. shared with this tank on the right..

..which i just filled up with water last night
Old 06-02-2009, 01:41 AM   #2
silane
Senior Dragon

The filter is undersize.

Mousra Mineral Plus should be added for water replacement, not topup.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:06 AM   #3
rainman

Hi bro! When i first set up the tank, i was thinking that the filter might be undersized as well. However, i've had it running for the past 3-4 months without issues. Hmm.. maybe i should have used a larger filter?!

thanks for the heads up on the mineral plus dosage, will take note!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:12 AM   #4
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
Hi bro! When i first set up the tank, i was thinking that the filter might be undersized as well. However, i've had it running for the past 3-4 months without issues. Hmm.. maybe i should have used a larger filter?!

thanks for the heads up on the mineral plus dosage, will take note!
I see, then leave it as it is...
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
rainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane View Post
I see, then leave it as it is...
thanks again for your comments bro! though now you've got me seriously thinking of my filter size
Old 06-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
globalcookie
Dragon

Compare that filter and a electricity propel filter (eg hang on, canister, overhead, etc), this sponge filter seems insufficient. I guess it is fine for 3-4 months as there are not much shrimps inside.

I have a small tank measuring 10.5" x 6.5" x 7". It is smaller than your tank. I also have another tank measuring 2ft x 11.5" x 8.5". Comparing the 2 tanks, I have a much easier time managing the 2ft tank. Smaller tanks are very difficult to manage since wc can cause drastic change in perimeters. But than again, I do regular wc so that the water is kept clean. I think topping up alone is insufficient, better do some regular wc.
--
I just read in this other thread and 2 bros shared something which I thought I also point out to you here http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...64#post6595664

In summary of what they shared, a small canister is likely cheaper than the shrimps we keep.

Last edited by globalcookie; 06-02-2009 at 11:39 AM.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
winq

bro rainman, so fast into selective breeding already?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
rainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Compare that filter and a electricity propel filter (eg hang on, canister, overhead, etc), this sponge filter seems insufficient. I guess it is fine for 3-4 months as there are not much shrimps inside.

I have a small tank measuring 10.5" x 6.5" x 7". It is smaller than your tank. I also have another tank measuring 2ft x 11.5" x 8.5". Comparing the 2 tanks, I have a much easier time managing the 2ft tank. Smaller tanks are very difficult to manage since wc can cause drastic change in perimeters. But than again, I do regular wc so that the water is kept clean. I think topping up alone is insufficient, better do some regular wc.
--
I just read in this other thread and 2 bros shared something which I thought I also point out to you here http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...64#post6595664

In summary of what they shared, a small canister is likely cheaper than the shrimps we keep.
Hi globalcookie, thanks for your comments as well! i was actually following that thread you pointed out, and remembered what you were using for your 1ft and thinking to myself at the same time, "boy, looks like i might be running low on ammo here!"

My choice of filter for this tank wasn't really based on cost-savings.. rather, i'm one of those subscribers of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp reason being, i've been using sponge filters for the rest of my shrimp tanks(on my kitchen counter) and they've been working quite well for me.. my cherry/sakura tank started off with 10 adults.. i have about 50-60 in there now.. my other hino & golden/white crs tank has already had 2 batches of shrimplets, 1 and 2 months old, and 1-2 berried females right now. I have looked into using an external cannister for my tanks, but since these sponge filters have been working pretty well, i've been rather hesitant to make any changes in case i mess something up!

However, as bro Silane has mentioned, i believe that any potential problem i might run into isn't the type of filtration i'm using, but rather the size of the filter i'm using.. and because of that i'm seriously going to have to think whether or not to 'upsize' on that..

Will heed your advice to do some regular WC though! I actually do change about 10% of the water every now and then, but haven't been doing so the last 2 months Once again, thanks for your pointers!
Old 06-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
rainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by winq View Post
bro rainman, so fast into selective breeding already?
Hi bro! Guess you can call it that! I left my berried females and shrimplets in the other tank and brought over the nicer hinos to this tank Still waiting to see pics of your mosuras when they are more stable!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
winq

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
Hi bro! Guess you can call it that! I left my berried females and shrimplets in the other tank and brought over the nicer hinos to this tank Still waiting to see pics of your mosuras when they are more stable!
there u go!