Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 15-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #1
kenshin

Default Guppies question

Hi all,

I was wondering how do you all gauge when the female guppies is about to give birth? Did an internet search and found out about the dark gravid spot which my female have but not experience enough to estimate till mayb 1 or 2 days before giving birth, can any experience breeder enlighten me. Thx!

One more qn, anyone tried feeding live vinegar eels to adult guppies before? does it work well?

Cheers for the sharing =)
kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
cartoon
Dragon

Once the female is fertilized, approx. 28days it will drop. Look out for the shape of the Gravid spot, if it appears squarish. It's probably gonna drop soon. U can either transfer her to a breeding tank or by adding some plants for the fries to hide. Most of us prefer breeding tank. Do take note that the water in the main tank, breeding tank & fry tank shd b the same in order not to cause any unnecessary stress to them.
As for the eel as food, I din try that b4 so no comment.
cartoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
kenshin

Many Thanks Cartoon!
kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
Brichardi
Dragon

Yes...much easier to estimate timing if u know their first spawn before, then u can roughly gauge 4 weeks +/- couple days. Feed them fat fat, they likely spawn earlier. Also female once impregnated can store sperms for quite afew cycles, so don't really need male for few months tbh. All the best!
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
saintdevilz
Arofanatic

show us a video we will tell you (:
saintdevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 01:37 AM   #6
betta

Imo I dont think should transfer female. I did it once even with utmost caution to not cause too much stress, my guppy female still dropped deformed babies. Definitely not due to inbreeding because first time she dropped she dropped perfectly fine fries.
first time she dropped I just let her be and one by one net the fries into another tank. The fries are hardy enough to be transferred, all the fries survived till adulthood perfectly okay
betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 01:39 AM   #7
betta

Anyways just watch for the tummy size and shape. Once squarish just be sure to keep an eye on the mom for any signs of labour. Behaviour of female would change
betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #8
lickmypark

hey guys interested in this topic.. gravid spot to be squarish? gravid spot is the whole white area beneath thebody rite? how it tends to be squarish? cant really imagine it lol. sry
Old 26-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #9
Ircknight
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickmypark View Post
hey guys interested in this topic.. gravid spot to be squarish? gravid spot is the whole white area beneath thebody rite? how it tends to be squarish? cant really imagine it lol. sry
Squarish is when is going to drop you can notice with eye no need ruler to measure
Ircknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 11:56 PM   #10
cartoon
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickmypark View Post
Gravid spot is near the anal part not the whitish area. It can b either black or red color. R u confuse?
cartoon is offline   Reply With Quote