Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 10-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
aroyo
Dragon

Default Baby altum

Hi,

Need a quick advice..

Thinking of getting this season altum

Can I mix them w my current lot of 3-5" discus?

Thnx
aroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
israelillo81
Arofanatic

quick advice:

get a separate tank to QT the baby altums. They need to have a PH around 4 for some weeks until you gradually raise the PH to the level of your discus tank
israelillo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
elmizze
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by israelillo81 View Post
quick advice:

get a separate tank to QT the baby altums. They need to have a PH around 4 for some weeks until you gradually raise the PH to the level of your discus tank
+1

From my experience comming juvie Altums and discus, the main problem is pH difference. I had to separate them into 2 tanks. Slowly make the two tanks similar in pH, etc, before adding them together in one tank. Realized that it is easier to get Altums to adapt to higher pH than discus to lower pH. Took some time. Now they are both in one tank with pH6.8-7.2, kh=4, gh=9
elmizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
sthh
Arofanatic

Altums are wild caught. You will really need to quarantine them before mixing with discus.
sthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
shark
Dragon

need to QT the new juv altum.. after 2 month then can mix.. do read up or goggle on how to QT altum.. if not by end of the day, you might have zero altum available.
shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
aroyo
Dragon

Roger all bros... Good pointers..

I had a very easy time introducing new altum to my aro tank last time, I had it partitioned, it thrive.. Now I know the reason, I had a 4ft wood log, did water change 2wk once, hence ph was low..

Think will skip the altum this time round.. Ph shld be high..
aroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #7
kuki
Arofanatic

just saw some for sale but i not sure can put straight in my tank. my tank currently is ph5 and the shop say their water is ph6
kuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #8
Flairtender
Dragon

Not a altum expert , but will like to share what i have read or learn from season altum keepers .

Many have paid their school fees without reading up how to QT their new altums .

Do read up more and only when you think you are confident and have proper QT tank and time then try .

( PS , it is not only about the PH which most think it's easy . )

There are many methods by different ppl , eg , What Medication to use when u spot columnaris , How to lower the ph , Slow drip or dump the new altum to QT tank . How hardworking you are to syphon out the daily shit , when to mix or transfer to your main tank with new tankmates etc etc .

For those no confident or no time read up but kena poison , best buy those altums from hobbyist that are already QT and can thrive well around PH 6 to 7ish with direct WC .
Flairtender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 03:36 AM   #9
kuki
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flairtender View Post
Not a altum expert , but will like to share what i have read or learn from season altum keepers .

Many have paid their school fees without reading up how to QT their new altums .

Do read up more and only when you think you are confident and have proper QT tank and time then try .

( PS , it is not only about the PH which most think it's easy . )

There are many methods by different ppl , eg , What Medication to use when u spot columnaris , How to lower the ph , Slow drip or dump the new altum to QT tank . How hardworking you are to syphon out the daily shit , when to mix or transfer to your main tank with new tankmates etc etc .

For those no confident or no time read up but kena poison , best buy those altums from hobbyist that are already QT and can thrive well around PH 6 to 7ish with direct WC .
Ya that why i dont dare to buy it as any life is precious.

You mean there are people in singapore selling their own AA?
kuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
alan tan

may I know which shop is sell altum with water condition ph6. what is the price?
alan tan is offline   Reply With Quote