Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 08-09-2008, 12:15 AM   #11
aroflim

Yes. Prof Lawrence said not to mix different broods.

This thread is 'Open Source'. Anyone has any tip, just add in. Knowledge or method once developed/discovered belongs to everybody. Guru or sifu or novice or tudi all have something to share.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #12
digichris
Dragon

Just to share, i don add in any medication for my fish when they are sick.
I will just quarrantine the sick fish in a quarrantine tank. Quarrantine tank is 100% conditioned or aged water with salt added. Wont feed the fish for 3-5 days depending on its condition. Continue for couple of weeks to see if there is any recovery of the fish. I find that by using this method, some of the sick fish will recover by its own.
digichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #13
aroflim

1. Environment

Aroflim: I kept guppies in cool and quiet place. In Singapore, I was not worry about guppies catching cold. They were more likely to fall sick when tank water temperature rised from the long period of exposure to afternoon sun. But I found that at cool place and lack of light, ph would go down. Ideal location for me was cool with some morning sunlight.

2. Water care

Lawrence: My water condition is very simple. 3 teaspoonful of aquarium salt and 1 capfull of Nutrafin water conditioner for 45L of water. Aged it with air pump for min of 5 days. For filtration, i used sponge and bottom filter. I always maintained the water in tip top conditioned i.e about 4 times daily siphoning out of waste and siphoning out of unfinshed food before light off. As you know, waste and left over food will bring up ammonia level thus causing water poisoning. Just need to top up with conditioned aged water by the end of week. 100% WC by the 3rd week. Just to add, 100% change when water is cloudy or signs of sick fish. Note: Guppy can be with/without salt. It's up to individual preferrence.

3. Males selection

4. Females selection

5. Delivery Ward preparation

Aroflim: I put pregnant female in round plastic tub filled with lot of floating plants and closed with a lid to prevent her from jumping out. Cut a big hole at the center of the lid for ease of feeding (she wont jump through the hole). She took about one or two days to settle down. I put the round tub next to the guppy tank so she could see other fish. Being alone was scarely I supposed. She was unlikely to jump in a round tub as she could go round.

6. Fry care

Itchy: (learned from Prof Lawrence, pls correct of wrong) - Not advisable to mix different broods together. Food can be daphnia and tubifex

7. Pumping your guppy and fry

8. Food nutritions

9. Treatments for sick guppies

Digichris : Just to share, i don add in any medication for my fish when they are sick. I will just quarrantine the sick fish in a quarrantine tank. Quarrantine tank is 100% conditioned or aged water with salt added. Wont feed the fish for 3-5 days depending on its condition. Continue for couple of weeks to see if there is any recovery of the fish. I find that by using this method, some of the sick fish will recover by its own.

10. Genetics

11. Interesting Theory

Long Kang theory - Guppies live in long kang, and long kang water flows non-stop, it is like having 100% water change at all time. This supports why Angelo does 100% water change daily. (This theory was shared by Angelo).

Pregnant females kept in higher ph water will drop more male fry.
Aroflim: I tried and was convinced. I kept ph in the range of 7.5 to 8. I used coral chip or exposed the tank/tub to partial sunlight to raise ph.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #14
Lawrence Loh
Dragon

Treatment For Sick Guppy

Many years back, whenever my guppy was sick, i would apply all sort of medication. However, most of them can't it.
What make guppy sick? I have been thinking to myself. Must be the water conditioned, right?. That's why i always emphasis on the importance of daily mantainance of water to minimize the sickness of fish especially this red genes.
Untill now, i dun use any medication to cure sick fish.
Conditioned aged water is my best medication.
Talk to your fish daily. Any early sign of sickness, they will tell you.
Immediate 100% WC with conditioned aged water. They will be all cure, no casualty.
I reiterate again., Prevention Is Always Better Than Cure
Lawrence Loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #15
Nana13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Loh View Post
wow...nana...thks for yr endorsement leh.......
You are welcome.
Many of them posted here are totally opposite to what I do.
So I dare not post "my way" leh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeHuat View Post
Lawrence, as you suggested previously I have given a name to each one of my guppies. Problem is I'm running out of names for them and sometimes I've forgotten which names I have given to some of them.
Does it mean that you have too many guppy now?

Last edited by Nana13; 08-09-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #16
Lawrence Loh
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroflim View Post
1. Environment

Aroflim: I kept guppies in cool and quiet place. In Singapore, I was not worry about guppies catching cold. They were more likely to fall sick when tank water temperature rised from the long period of exposure to afternoon sun. But I found that at cool place and lack of light, ph would go down. Ideal location for me was cool with some morning sunlight.

2. Water care

Lawrence: My water condition is very simple. 3 teaspoonful of aquarium salt and 1 capfull of Nutrafin water conditioner for 45L of water. Aged it with air pump for min of 5 days. For filtration, i used sponge and bottom filter. I always maintained the water in tip top conditioned i.e about 4 times daily siphoning out of waste and siphoning out of unfinshed food before light off. As you know, waste and left over food will bring up ammonia level thus causing water poisoning. Just need to top up with conditioned aged water by the end of week. 100% WC by the 3rd week. Note: Guppy can be with/without salt. It's up to individual preferrence.

3. Males selection

4. Females selection

Aroflim: I put pregnant female in round plastic tub filled with lot of floating plants and closed with a lid to prevent her from jumping out. Cut a big hole at the center of the lid for ease of feeding (she wont jump through the hole). She took about one or two days to settle down. I put the round tub next to the guppy tank so she could see other fish. Being alone was scarely I supposed. She was unlikely to jump in a round tub as she could go round.

6. Fry care

Itchy: (learned from Prof Lawrence, pls correct of wrong) - Not advisable to mix different broods together. Food can be daphnia and tubifex

8. Food nutritions

Digichris : Just to share, i don add in any medication for my fish when they are sick. I will just quarrantine the sick fish in a quarrantine tank. Quarrantine tank is 100% conditioned or aged water with salt added. Wont feed the fish for 3-5 days depending on its condition. Continue for couple of weeks to see if there is any recovery of the fish. I find that by using this method, some of the sick fish will recover by its own.

10. Genetics

11. Interesting Theory

Long Kang theory - Guppies live in long kang, and long kang water flows non-stop, it is like having 100% water change at all time. This supports why Angelo does 100% water change daily. (This theory was shared by Angelo).

Aroflim: I tried and was convinced. I kept ph in the range of 7.5 to 8. I used coral chip or exposed the tank/tub to partial sunlight to raise ph.
i deleted the 'to add by nefish' for 100% WC for cloudy water in the water care's categories...
Old 08-09-2008, 11:47 PM   #17
haya23busa
Dragon

Can i ask, i tot that for fry try not to feed them with tubifex cos fry may get choke. Or if the tubifex is not done probably may cause more death to the fry. Even when we select live food we also have to take note of whether the live food are healthy right? Sorry i dunno how to phrase my words, correct me if i am wrong.
haya23busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:11 AM   #18
nefish
Dragon

Quote:
i deleted the 'to add by nefish' for 100% WC for cloudy water in the water care's categories...
Anytime, professor......correct me if i am wrong. Female call ' Gu niang', Ah gua call 'niang niang chiang', Male call 'beng'.......

Quote:
Are you Teochew?
Alots of Teochew 'Ang ang'

Quote:
Can i ask, i tot that for fry try not to feed them with tubifex cos fry may get choke. Or if the tubifex is not done probably may cause more death to the fry. Even when we select live food we also have to take note of whether the live food are healthy right? Sorry i dunno how to phrase my words, correct me if i am wrong.
Tubi need to be chop before fed. Handling of tubi mentioned by itchy too, maybe itchy want to add on.....
nefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #19
aroflim

1. Environment

2. Water care

Lawrence: My water condition is very simple. 3 teaspoonful of aquarium salt and 1 capfull of Nutrafin water conditioner for 45L of water. Aged it with air pump for min of 5 days. For filtration, i used sponge and bottom filter. I always maintained the water in tip top conditioned i.e about 4 times daily siphoning out of waste and siphoning out of unfinshed food before light off. As you know, waste and left over food will bring up ammonia level thus causing water poisoning. Just need to top up with conditioned aged water by the end of week. 100% WC by the 3rd week. Note: Guppy can be with/without salt. It's up to individual preferrence.

3. Males selection

4. Females selection

6. Fry care

8. Food nutritions

Lawrence: Many years back, whenever my guppy was sick, i would apply all sort of medication. However, most of them can't it. What make guppy sick? I have been thinking to myself. Must be the water conditioned, right?. That's why i always emphasis on the importance of daily mantainance of water to minimize the sickness of fish especially this red genes. Untill now, i dun use any medication to cure sick fish. Conditioned aged water is my best medication. Talk to your fish daily. Any early sign of sickness, they will tell you. Immediate 100% WC with conditioned aged water. They will be all cure, no casualty. I reiterate again., Prevention Is Always Better Than Cure.

10. Genetics

11. Record keeping

12. Interesting Theory

Old 09-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #20
Lawrence Loh
Dragon

Pumping up Fry & Adult

My ways of pumping up:
Morning - Fry & Adult : Grinded powder form dry food and normal one for fry and adult respectively. ( coz no more live food left, all finished in the night time )

Evening - fry & adult : Live boon ( daphnia ) for fry & adult. Followed by tubiworm/frozen bloodworm 2 hrs later.