Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-08-2008, 01:00 AM   #1
ethan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default grain size a factor?

hi pals, just wondering,
is substrate grain size an important factor to the well being of plants, say the tiny roots of dwarf helzine or hairgrass needs a sand substrate or will it still do well in normal grain size of 1-2mm.

welcome and advance thanks to all ur comments.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 01:49 AM   #2
ostrava
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Feel tat lapis sand is the perfect gravel for all plant. Too sandy also not gd, too big also not gd, lapis grain juz nice, suitable for planted. My personal opinon
  Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
ethan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrava View Post
Feel tat lapis sand is the perfect gravel for all plant. Too sandy also not gd, too big also not gd, lapis grain juz nice, suitable for planted. My personal opinon
Got a noob question here, is lapis sand = pea gravel? grain size ard 2-3mm right?
  Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
Aquaticculture
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Think you meant peat gravel rite? Substrate like ADA? Lapis is smaller than that and it has rough edges. If you want to try lapis, I can give it to you. Should have enough to fill a 2ft tank.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
ethan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticculture View Post
Think you meant peat gravel rite? Substrate like ADA? Lapis is smaller than that and it has rough edges. If you want to try lapis, I can give it to you. Should have enough to fill a 2ft tank.
nope pal, i meant pea gravel, i read about it in books, it looks like lapis..its ok. thanks for all the comments
  Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 03:16 AM   #6
ostrava
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan View Post
Got a noob question here, is lapis sand = pea gravel? grain size ard 2-3mm right?
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=333861

Use evolution z thread to show u how lapis sand look like. Hope it help and bro evo z dun mind
  Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
Aquaticculture
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrava View Post
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=333861

Use evolution z thread to show u how lapis sand look like. Hope it help and bro evo z dun mind

Better still, here's the pic;

  Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
the_r0ck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It will definitely be a factor, big or small.

Well designed grain sizes allow proper root growth and for the plants to spread well.

I like the grain sizes of ADA Aquasoil and Gex. Seachem Flourite is a little big bigger and less irregular.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
berlinjs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

l having problem planting using gex red packet(shrimp) which is bigger grain size compare to gex green packet(shrimp) smaller grain.
will it be easier using the green type or l just pour new green packet on top of the red packet type?
  Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 01:51 PM   #10
the_r0ck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Actually its OK to have smaller grains on top and the larger grains below.

The bigger grains should allow for more room for growth and the smaller grains on top help to prevent the plant from being dislodged.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 10:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)