Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 01-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #11
Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat
I think what bro sandman is saying is that we can DIY our own liquid additive without the need to those off the-shelf additive.

From my understanding,
By following Bro sandman's instructions,we can can get individual additive:
part A - liquid calcium additive (using calcium chloride in to mix with 1L of FRESH water)
part B- liquid Alkalinity additive (usinng sodium bicarbonate to mix with ANOTHER 1L of FRESH water)

Both additive are not to be mixed together.
Correct me if I am wrong.
you're spot on.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:25 AM   #12
gyny

where can i getcalsium choride???

how much??
Old 02-05-2005, 11:32 PM   #13
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyny
where can i getcalsium choride???

how much??
Can get it from Sandman try PM him.
Old 13-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #14
allim
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
This is from the link I've got from Dr Randy (Reefcentral). I just merely did some simple conversions and calculations based on my own convenience and hence ill like to share with you guys...

This additive system will be balanced in that equal addition of the two parts will provide calcium and alkalinity in approximately the same ratio as used in calcification by corals and coralline algae. In that sense, it is the same as the commercial two-part additives. One part is the calcium chloride dissolved in water, and the second part is baking soda (either baked prior to use, or not) dissolved in water. This balance is very important in that an aquarium such a balanced additive system is unlikely to undergo big swings in calcium and alkalinity, as can happen if an aquarist using independent additives were to inadvertently overdose one relative to the other. This problem is surprisingly common, and was the reason that I wrote an article on how to solve calcium and alkalinity problems, and why I only described balanced additive systems of various types in my article on how to select a calcium and alkalinity additive system.

A "third" part of this additive system represents the Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate heptahydrate) dissolved in water, and is only required once in a while (perhaps added once every 1-2 months). It serves to prevent sodium and chloride from rising significantly relative to the other major ions, most notably magnesium and sulfate.

The primary ions in seawater, in decreasing order of concentration, are chloride, sodium, sulfate, magnesium, calcium, and potassium. Using these recipes will prevent chloride (from the calcium chloride) and sodium (from the baking soda) from rising relative to the magnesium and sulfate. Preventing magnesium depletion is especially important in maintaining appropriate calcium and alkalinity in aquaria, so this third part of the additive system can be important.

Making the addictive:
Part 1: The Calcium Solution for those who got calcium chloride from me
Dissolve 37g (about 5 tablespoons) of anhydrous calcium chloride in 1L of fresh water (you can scale up accordingly). This gives you ~ 37000ppm in calcium.
Part 2: The Alkalinity Solution
Dissolve 156g (about 20 tablespoons) of sodium bicarbonate in 1L of fresh water (you can scale up accordingly). This gives you ~ 1900 meq/L of alkalinity.
Part 3: The Magnesium Solution
Dissolve 1.8g of Epsom salts in 1L of fresh water. This gives you 47000 ppm of magnesium and 187000 ppm sulfate. Note that if an inexpensive source of magnesium chloride of suitable quality were found, these recipes could be improved so that sulfate did not rise at all. Unfortunately, I have not found such a source.

The Calcium and Alkalinity Solutions are added as frequently as necessary to maintain calcium and alkalinity. Unless testing shows that you should do otherwise, add equal amounts of each solution over the course of a week. Each time you finish adding a litre of both Calcium and Alkalinity parts, add 160 mL of the Magnesium Solution. You can add it all at once or over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably in a sump. The first time that you add it, you might add a small portion and make sure there isn't any problem before proceeding to add the remainder.

That's all about making the recipe.
Thanks for the interesting recipe. Probably less expensive than buying all the commercial formulas. I would like to check:

Adding 37g anhydrous calcium chloride should only give 13333 ppm of calcium and not 37000 ppm of calcium right since there is also chloride in the chemical? Weight ratio of Calcium to chloride is 40:71.
allim is offline   Reply With Quote