Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 04-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #21
Sunburst

Hope this post will "clean" out the myth of UV so that the correct prospective is in place especially for a captive aquarium setup.

Let me start by by saying that for the most part this is true that it is common practice to turn off U.V. when treating the water with medication. Once treatment is complete the U.V. is turned back on to control free-floating bacteria and parasites. This greatly reduces the chances of re-infestation.

Next myth is will UV prevent the establishment of nitrifying bacteria ??
Fyi, Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter are not free-swimming bacteria and therefore will not come in contact with the U.V. They attach themselves to filtration media, gravel, the sides of the aquarium, etc. The only way U.V. could effect the establishment of nitrifying bacteria is if a seed bacteria product is added to the water. In this case it would be advisable to turn off the U.V. until the free-floating, nitrifying bacteria has had a chance to get a foothold.

Then the next question everyone will ask if UV will cause the fish to lose their resistance to disease and parasites because they are living in a sterile environment ??

Because the sterilized water from the U.V. is returned to the tank mixing it with un-sterilized water there is no way to remove all bacteria and parasites in the water.

Without going into a bells and whistle or bolts and nuts, it is safe to say that a properly sized U.V. with the correct flow rate will kill 99.99% of the bacterial pathogens and parasites that are in the water of the aquarium.

Additionally fish produce waste, along with this waste comes bacteria and the UV is simply removing the disease factor in the water. The fish do not lose their immune system and the immune system does not go dormant resulting in their energy to growth and color rather than fighting the disease.

The next question is will UV only kills bacteria and not parasites ?? The answer is Untrue.

However, parasites attached to the fish are of course not affected by the U.V but when a parasite is in it’s free-swimming stage of its life cycle the U.V. then will eliminate it from the water. So medication will need to be added to the tank to remove the parasites from the fish. After that the U.V. will protect them from re-infestation.

Fyi, an UV that will produce 28 watts with a contact time with the water of five seconds will kill 98% parasites and bacterial pathogens found in our aquarium.

In summary, with U.V. sterilization we are creating a healthier environment for our fishes especiallyiIn closed systems, like aquariums, bacterial pathogens and parasites can reproduce at alarming rates. Controlling these bacterial pathogens and parasites with UV can not only eliminate disease outbreaks but also produce a much healthier environment in which our fishes will thrive.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #22
ostrava

Thanks bro sunburst, very gd detail info on UVC.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #23
Fei Yi

waoo cool
very details explaination
Old 05-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #24
Fei Yi

hmmmm after looking out for a few forum found that not many people use 3X1.5X1.5 with IOS at the back . . .

and also for tank 3X2X2 onwards then they will have sump tank.

anyone using 3X1.5X1.5 with IOS at back
or
anyone using 3X1.5X1.5 with sump tank?
Old 06-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #25
KaLiB

IOS is not really a very popular thing amongsts hobbyist keeping saltwater aquariums so probably thats why you don't find many people using it. However, its fine to use it if due to space constraints you aren't able to have a sump.

On the other hand, a sump is a much more popular. The size of the tank doesn't dictate whether you can have a sump or not. I have seen some setups online, that make use of a sump although their only 2ft setups.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #26
Fei Yi

hmmm 2 ft setup with sump . . . . i wonder how big is the sump for 2 ft tank?
1 ft? 2 ft?
haha ok

hmmm if thats the case . . . . i try to look for
3X1.5X1.5 with 2 ft sump

i think might be hard to find ready made for
3X1.5X1.5 with 2X1X1 ft sump
right? [if have please advice place ]

as most sump start with 3X2X2 onwards

is the size i desire to setup ok? for my sump
Old 07-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #27
davidw
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei Yi View Post
hmmm 2 ft setup with sump . . . . i wonder how big is the sump for 2 ft tank?
1 ft? 2 ft?
haha ok

hmmm if thats the case . . . . i try to look for
3X1.5X1.5 with 2 ft sump

i think might be hard to find ready made for
3X1.5X1.5 with 2X1X1 ft sump
right? [if have please advice place ]

as most sump start with 3X2X2 onwards

is the size i desire to setup ok? for my sump
Since u have not purchase your tank and if u r undecided between 3x2x2 or 3x1.5x1.5, go for 3x2x2 with sump, thats my advice. If u have no place for sump, or find that sump (with no cabinet) is unsightly then only consider IOS. Its alright to use IOS, nothing wrong.
davidw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #28
KaLiB

I would suggest having the tank set and sump custom made rather than bought off the shelve. Reason being, most ready made tank sets sold at LFS are for freshwater use. The glass used is too thin to be safe for use for saltwater(saltwater puts more pressure on the glass than freshwater), so its a case of using the tank at your own risk. The glass may or may not give way.

There are some tank makers about in this forum that you can approach to have the tank set custom made. You would have to let them know that your using it for a saltwater aquarium. They should be able to build according to your specifications, so there won't be a problem getting the 3x1.5x1.5 tank and 2x1x1 sump. For 3x1.5x1.5, i would advise at least 8mm glass. 3x2x2 should use at least 10mm glass.

As for the size of the sump, there isn't really any hard and fast rule here IMO. In fact, in the US, some of them use those large rubbermaid tubs as a sump. You can gauge the size of the sump based on your needs. If you like, the sump can be as big as the main tank.

As a guide, you can allocate 4 compartments in the sump. The frontmost as the filter compartment, the second compartment houses the protein skimmer and other equipment, the 3rd compartment is used as a refugium and the last compartment is just the return chamber where you can have the return pump.

There's no hard and fast rule here either, like for the case of my 4x2x2 tank's sump, i made it to be be 2.5x1.5x1.5. I only have 3 compartments inside, one for the filter media, one for the skimmer and a return chamber.

You can look at how the LFS and other hobbyists design their sumps and keep in there, from there you can come up with your own idea. This is how i designed my sump.

If you choose to mount the return pump externally, do take into consideration the space needed to do the piping and for the pump. Having too large a sump can cause you to be unable to mount the pump and do any piping.

As mentioned earlier, having a sump tank is still the better choice for marine setups. If due to space constraints you can't have a sump, then an IOS is a good alternative.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #29
Fei Yi

i think i be getting
3x1.5x1.5 tank and 2x1x1 sump
hmm as for the number of comparement hmmm hhaaha i might need to think think see how will it suit me

since i might be custom make my tank. i might need to think think of my desire sump demention
Old 10-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #30
Fei Yi

AS i read through the forum

i get notice of nitrate filter, also know as a denitrator

is it really required in marine tank?