Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 29-01-2009, 12:14 AM   #101
LongFFwu

YO bro! Looks like you just cut-n-pasted a piece of land into your tank, LOL. Splendid setup! gonna trouble u to come landscape my tank someday haha
Old 30-01-2009, 01:24 AM   #102
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0uH0 View Post
Wow, really amazing growth bro, seriously i am just waiting for everything to fill in because as far as i know, your tank layout is already a winner..thanks for the details, i am keeping my fingers crossed for you as well and hoping that algae would stay far far away from your setup=)
Thanks for the compliment bro! I also am hoping the algae stays far far away. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongFFwu View Post
YO bro! Looks like you just cut-n-pasted a piece of land into your tank, LOL. Splendid setup! gonna trouble u to come landscape my tank someday haha
No problem bro, I'll help you if you want it.
Thanks for following along!
Old 30-01-2009, 01:25 AM   #103
JadeIceGreen

Test Results for Day 13 (Thursday, 29/01/2009)

PH – 6.2
GH - Did not test.
KH – 3
NO2 – 5.0
NH3/NH4 – 1.0
CO2 level 56.79 ppm approximately
All in all, ammonia is going down fast and nitrite is very high, very good news. Now I just got to wait till nitrite falls and my tank will then be cycled.

I have also upgraded my filter to Eheim 2213 and I now have 2.5 litres of Bio Rio and 500ml of activated carbon, shiokness.

Eheim 2213 comes with a filter basket that holds 5 mechanical filter pads that can double up as biological filter pads and one fine filter pad that goes on top. I am not using this basket and its filter pads, but I will be using the cover of the basket.

Without the basket, looks just like the big brother to the 2211 but without the green plastic strainer thingy which is soley missed.

Old 30-01-2009, 01:27 AM   #104
JadeIceGreen

In place of the green strainer, I am using Eheim Ecco's fine filter pad, this will prevent my Bio Rio from jamming the inlet to the filter. I can't use the pads that was provided as they were made to fit the basket, so Eheim Ecco's pads fit nicely and just a little tight which is good. I may change to the blue mechnical pad in the future, going to monitor how long these fine filter pads last as it is a real pain to dig out all the Bio Rio just to change the pad at the bottom. Like I've said, I miss the green plastic strainer and only 2213 does not have it.

2.5 litres of wonderful Bio Rio, this made my day!

And finally, 500ml of activated carbon that is due for a change tomorrow.

The plastic cover goes on top of all that, filter connected and switched on. Perfect. This is as close to a ES-600 as I can go I think..
Old 30-01-2009, 02:15 AM   #105
DrTech

Any reasons for not using the basket? o.O
Old 30-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #106
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTech View Post
Any reasons for not using the basket? o.O
More space to put filter media and better filtration as with the basket, there was a gap of about half a cm all around from the filter walls.
Old 30-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #107
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
More space to put filter media and better filtration as with the basket, there was a gap of about half a cm all around from the filter walls.
thought the basket is there in case the filter choke (due to dirt or any other reasons) and at least water still can flow through the gap?
Old 30-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #108
fatthumb
Senior Dragon

Bro JIG, I've been reading this thread from the 1st page, they are awesome. Keep up the good work! And maybe you could pm me how much you spent on medias, tank, etc?

Thanks for sharing bro! Will upz you later
fatthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #109
Y0uH0

Hmm, i thought the basket would help in the efficient flow of water because that was what it was incorporated in the design for? And my goodness, you changed filter! Wow, pocket add another hole again.
Old 31-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #110
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just me View Post
thought the basket is there in case the filter choke (due to dirt or any other reasons) and at least water still can flow through the gap?
Its true that the basket is to prevent the debris from clogging up the filter inlet at the bottom, but that can also be easily achieved by placing a pad like I did. A basket is more for your convenience than any real filtration benefits. As I didn't use the basket, I have more space for filtration media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatthumb View Post
Bro JIG, I've been reading this thread from the 1st page, they are awesome. Keep up the good work! And maybe you could pm me how much you spent on medias, tank, etc?

Thanks for sharing bro! Will upz you later
Thanks bro for the compliment! Will PM you later on the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0uH0 View Post
Hmm, i thought the basket would help in the efficient flow of water because that was what it was incorporated in the design for? And my goodness, you changed filter! Wow, pocket add another hole again.
When you think about it, having a basket will mean less complete filtration as the basket will determine how water will flow through the holes in the basket. Without a basket, water will flow throughout the filter media. But how effective is it without a filter basket, I don't think its a lot of difference. The main reason why I am not using the basket is so that I can pack more filter media in.

The hole was not that big as I managed to sell my old filter.

Last edited by JadeIceGreen; 31-01-2009 at 02:33 PM.