Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 14-10-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
just_2_of_us
Arofanatic

Default 2 feet fowlr help

Hi dear reefers! I've been reading a lot in this forum, as well as that useful article by deep_end and really tempted to start a 2 feet FOWLR that will be lightly stocked.

Things that i need to clarify:

I will be using a cansiter and i understand that i have to clean it often, however is there any filter media that i should use? Or am i able to get through just with a sponge. With live rocks and sand as biological filter means the live rock and sand in the tank are able to create filtration as well?

And i don't fully understand the use of a skimmer and how it actually works, but i don't plan to get one so soon as it might be out of my budget as well. I plan to have a HOF to aerate the water and create movement at the water surface.

When doing water change weekly, i'd say that i will do a 20% water change, is that sufficient for the setup i mentioned above? And during wc, do i need to add salt or i can just pour straight from tap, which i doubt so..

Hope you guys can help me out on this, and can't wait to start cycling my tank.
just_2_of_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
chorkeat
Arofanatic

Hi bro,
I also jsut started my 1.5ft tank last month using a canister filter. I cant advice much to you as I also new into SW.

As WC, you need to top up with salt water, either buy the sea water from LFS or pre mix with sea salt. This is to maintain the SG. If you add tap water, SG will drop. Salt will take some time to dissolve so its better to premix it, achieve the required SG, before WC.

Last edited by chorkeat; 14-10-2009 at 12:50 PM.
chorkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
denlim
User Under Moderation

Default Add salt or not?

As water evaporates, the salt remains in that tank. As such, it might not be necessary to add salt at all. I would suggest that you check the tank's salt level and decide accordingly. If not, the salt level might shoot up.

I've recently set up a marine tank too but I've not done any WC yet.
denlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
KaLiB

After cycling, the liverock and sand in the maintank will act as a filter. You can do without the canister filter unless you have little rocks and sand. I have alot of liverocks(Around 70kg in my 4x2x2) in my tank and I use it as the main source of filtration along with a sandbed. If you still prefer to have a canister filter, I would suggest using biohome as the filter media.

In summary, the use of a skimmer is to remove the dissolve organics(from fish waste, food etc..) before they breakdown into ammonia. It works on the idea that these organics will "hitch a ride" on an air bubble. Overall, it helps to filter the water.

A weekly 20% water change should be fine. You would need to pre-mix the new saltwater(to the same SG as what you have in the main tank) in a seperate pail before adding it into the tank after you have drained out the necessary amount of water.
Old 14-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
orsony

For starter, it is very important to cultivate the bacteria in your media eg rock, ceramic ring, biohome etc. Therefore I would advise you to get bacteria or alternative put a market prawn in your water. Do a 50% WC after one week and add bacteria again. Please test your ammonia, NO2 must be zero. If you get a zero then you might want to add 1 or 2 smaller fishes for a start. General rule for new setup is "patience".
Old 15-10-2009, 02:02 AM   #6
just_2_of_us
Arofanatic

Thanks guys.

As for the market prawn. How long do i leave it there? a week?
Old 15-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
SunnyDay
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_2_of_us View Post
Thanks guys.

As for the market prawn. How long do i leave it there? a week?
Remove the all the shell and leave it inside. By one week, it should be rotting and no point to remove it. That why you need to change 50% of the water.
SunnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 01:07 AM   #8
alcohologist

a little clarification:
freshwater for top ups.
saltwater for changes.
good luck!
Old 16-10-2009, 03:09 AM   #9
just_2_of_us
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDay View Post
Remove the all the shell and leave it inside. By one week, it should be rotting and no point to remove it. That why you need to change 50% of the water.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcohologist View Post
a little clarification:
freshwater for top ups.
saltwater for changes.
good luck!
Definitely cleared my doubts. Thanks!
Old 16-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #10
just_2_of_us
Arofanatic

Oh i forgot to mention that my tank would be on a iron wrought stand. Will it be safe? Please advise.