Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 29-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
jyee
Arofanatic

Default Newbie just step into African Cichilds World

Hi All sifus

This is my new setup of 422 African Cichlids tank.

Current tankmate, 10 x normal burundi, 5 x Yellow Angel Fish (dunnoe the name), and mix with 3 small clown loaches.

Going to intro some altos series fish into it. And also plan for get some plant to put into it for decoration purpose

For the substrate, i am using 15kg of c3 coral sand and 8kg of c0 coral sand.

Feel free to comments if something need to be improve.

jyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
Brichardi
Dragon

Welcome to the tanganyikan world buddy!

Personally I would put slightly more coral sand....at least 10kg+. Your rocks looks great....hope you place yr rocks on the base first before adding sand and not on top of sand. I don't see any angels....maybe you referring to the 'lemon cichlid'...the Neolamprologus leleupi.

Whats the filtration system btw? Any currents flow?

Happy tanganyikan keeping!
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
johannes

Can replace the clown loach with tangan synodontis to give a more Biotope themed tank.
Overall nice tank
Old 29-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
jyee
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brichardi View Post
Welcome to the tanganyikan world buddy!

Personally I would put slightly more coral sand....at least 10kg+. Your rocks looks great....hope you place yr rocks on the base first before adding sand and not on top of sand. I don't see any angels....maybe you referring to the 'lemon cichlid'...the Neolamprologus leleupi.

Whats the filtration system btw? Any currents flow?

Happy tanganyikan keeping!
Hi

Is that mean i need to top-up about 10kg more to get a better aesthetics view? Sorry for the previous typo, currently was abt 25kg+ of c3 coral sand and 8kg of c0 coral sand. So in total will be around 35kg.

Yup, the little lemon cichlid which was called by "Heaven Bird" when i bought over from lfs. Thanks to point out their name.

I am actually slot in the stone into the coral sand substrate, bcuz i set up this with tank coral sand first then after 2 weeks later only get this stone and start to decorate it.

My current filtration system is using Mr.aqua OHF with up-aqua water pump. This pump claimed that able to produce 50l/minutes of the flow rate, but after using i suspect it's only up to around 2200 l/hr flow rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannes View Post
Can replace the clown loach with tangan synodontis to give a more Biotope themed tank.
Overall nice tank
Noted, thanks for your recommendation.

Will go jalan jalan and hunt it..

Btw, the reason i put clown loach is actually after i decom my previous tank i dunnoe where to throw them. So just throw in this tank for a temporary solution. Will move to another tank after when i done my setup for corydoras tank.
Old 30-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
wildbear
Arofanatic

Hi Jyee, welcome to tanganyikan community!

Nice big tank! You may like to add sponge filter to give the tank more aeration if you feel the OHF is not strong enough. I use sponge filter as add-on with canister for all my tanks. Especially when you get poison by the 2 shifu above with their hugh collection of tanga your bioload gonna increase.....hahahahaha
wildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
Young Man
Senior Dragon

good start watch out for the fronts as they grow along, dashing fronts get injured easily by sharp edges.
sand bed is thick enough, dont go too deep sandbed for a start, else you might get water parameters problems coming along. as long as the rocks are stable you should be good. just watch out that the lelupis do not start digging under the rocks. if need be, get some egg crates from hardware shop and put beneath the rocks.
increase your aeration and keep the updates coming as your tank progresses
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
jyee
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbear View Post
Hi Jyee, welcome to tanganyikan community!

Nice big tank! You may like to add sponge filter to give the tank more aeration if you feel the OHF is not strong enough. I use sponge filter as add-on with canister for all my tanks. Especially when you get poison by the 2 shifu above with their hugh collection of tanga your bioload gonna increase.....hahahahaha
Thanks bro.
Actually I already place 2 airstone behind the stone,and when I snap this photo I adjust the angle of the light. So make the background becum more dark, so can't seen any bubble in this photo.
Hahaha, super poison when look back to all the past thread.
Will do some adjustment on the ohf either increase more layer or replaced the filter media.
ㄟ(≧◇≦)ㄏ

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
Old 30-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #8
zonkkie
Dragon

Newbie here too! Looks good... Shall be setting up my tank in a couple of weeks so will follow your thread closely!
zonkkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
jyee
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Man View Post
good start watch out for the fronts as they grow along, dashing fronts get injured easily by sharp edges.
sand bed is thick enough, dont go too deep sandbed for a start, else you might get water parameters problems coming along. as long as the rocks are stable you should be good. just watch out that the lelupis do not start digging under the rocks. if need be, get some egg crates from hardware shop and put beneath the rocks.
increase your aeration and keep the updates coming as your tank progresses
Thanks for your remind bro.
Will monitor abt that, current condition still ok. So far the stone was quite stable.
No wonder some of the gap between the stone is bigger than before, now knew who is the one did that already.
Hahaha
Currently, just using the largest bigboy airpump for this tank.
Plan to get either a hiblow-20 or medo 28b to supply all of my 3 tanks.
Old 30-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
foreverfrontosa
Senior Dragon

Newbie here reporting. I also just started a tank Welcome Nice setup
foreverfrontosa is offline   Reply With Quote