Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 29-07-2005, 09:13 PM   #1
angmoh

Default hair algae

recently i found that there's some hair-like algae in my tank ... attached on the red-seagrape and on the rocks ...

how shall i avoid that ? how to get rid of them ? thanks
Old 29-07-2005, 10:04 PM   #2
seafood

Quote:
Originally Posted by angmoh
recently i found that there's some hair-like algae in my tank ... attached on the red-seagrape and on the rocks ...

how shall i avoid that ? how to get rid of them ? thanks
(1) reduce phosphate level - get Fludised reactor (i'm using Resun model + Seachem Phosguard)
(2) rely on algae "terminator" crew - tang, albalone, algae blenny.

I've lots of hairy algae but after engaging action (1) + (2) the amount reduce greatly. left some alage for food supply for my algae crew.
Old 30-07-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
angmoh

hmm i have a bicolor blenny tho' but seems like it loves prawn meat more rather than algae ..

now my tank have brown algae (attached on the glass), red algae( on the sandbed) and recently hair algae(on the plants and rock...)

well i dont think i can add any more fish (2ft tank, with 3 fish now) .. so perhaps invertebrates or chemical stuff ..

please advise. thanks
Old 30-07-2005, 12:32 AM   #4
cci[RR]us

Introduce macroalgae to starve the hair algae of nutrients. It solved my algae problem magically.
Old 30-07-2005, 12:39 AM   #5
angmoh

macralgae like sea grape ?? i have a full rock of seagrape ..which is goin to be out of control .. sign .. seems like the nutrients in my tank is over too much ..

shall i starve the fish ? hehe
Old 30-07-2005, 01:20 AM   #6
KaLiB

For macroalgae to work effectively, regular harvesting is required to export the nutrients from the system.

If your looking for an effective(but expensive) phosphate removal media, i recommend Rowaphos. Many reefers are using this with positive results. Use this with a fluidized reactor to increase efficiency.

Here are some other ways that could help:
- Reduce feeding
- Use protein skimmer(if you don't have 1)
- Clean protein skimmer regularly for efficient protein skimming
- Using a RO/DI unit instead of using water direct from the tap
- Manual harvesting of the microalgae to remove nutrients
Old 30-07-2005, 01:28 AM   #7
angmoh

will phospate removal eliminate all the algae problem thati i'm hving now ? if so, maybe i'll invest one .

in this case, do i need to get a phosphate test kit or whatever so ? or any additional thing i need before i get the phosphat removal ?
Old 30-07-2005, 01:56 AM   #8
KaLiB

Quote:
Originally Posted by angmoh
will phospate removal eliminate all the algae problem thati i'm hving now ? if so, maybe i'll invest one .
It may not completely eradicate but it should reduce the algae growth by quite alot. The 3 main fuels for algae are silicates, phosphates and nitrates which find their way into their tank 1 way or another. Cutting down on photoperiod would also help. So, we can attack the root of the problem by reducing/eradicating the fuel sources.

Quote:
in this case, do i need to get a phosphate test kit or whatever so ? or any additional thing i need before i get the phosphat removal ?
IMO, in your case a phosphate testkit isn't necessary unless you got sensitive corals and want to monitor phosphate levels very closely. For effective use of the media, use it with a fluidized reactor(Resun has a cheap and good reactor).