Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 31-07-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
™kok™

Default starting new marine tank

hi guyz , is a 4 by 2 by 2ft trank sufficient for a marine tank ... what else do i need to buy?what are the benefits of a sump tank and the cost . how many fish can i keep inside
Old 31-07-2005, 08:06 PM   #2
bluezing

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=77883
Old 31-07-2005, 09:55 PM   #3
KaLiB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ™kok™
hi guyz , is a 4 by 2 by 2ft trank sufficient for a marine tank ... what else do i need to buy?what are the benefits of a sump tank and the cost . how many fish can i keep inside
Welcome to the pocket draining but wonderful hobby of marine fishkeeping.

Depending on what your intending to keep, a 4x2x2 tank is sufficient for a wide variety of marine livestock. Most importantly, the large tank size allows for a stable system and this makes things slightly easier. For 4x2x2, ensure the glass thickness is minimum 10mm(For me, i kiasu i went for 12mm), anything less than that your risking the tank leaking on you.

Like many things, there are advantages and disadvantages to having a sump but IMO the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
Advantages:
- Increase total tank volume, more stable system
- Improved aeration, more surface area
- Hiding unsightly equipment like skimmers in there
- Can incorpotate a macroalgae refugium in there
- Less hassle to open and replace filter wool compared to other filters

Disadvantages:
- Piping can leak if not done well/damaged
- Increased cost(need extra return pump, piping etc.)
- Extra heat from return pump(Very little difference if you install the pump externally)
- Pump failure can be fatal to the livestock

I can't remember the cost of my sump, but the pricing varies depending on the design.

Do spare some time to readup the link bluezing has pasted, it gives you the overall idea of marine fishkeeping. From there, further research has to be done to give you more in-depth knowledge to ensure success.

For total number of fish, this totally depends on what fish you intend to keep. Around 8fishes that don't grow beyond 4" is quite a comfortable bioload IMO but you can keep more.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:05 PM   #4
™kok™

is a 10 mm glass for a 4 by 2 by 2 ft sufficient . scared it may break
Old 02-08-2005, 11:23 PM   #5
KaLiB

If you like me kiasu, can get 12mm but 10mm is enough already. Only thing is whether your willing to fork out that bit more money to use 12mm glass instead of 10mm.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:02 PM   #6
principal

Bro for a marine tank, IMHO this is good enough cos previously i used a 3ft tank for it. Jus try not to put too many fish will do. Abt the thickness, not a problem at cos they are not the aggressive type of fish that will hit the wall,,,