Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Old 08-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #141
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Mohamed Salah: Every Premier League goal so far...

Mohamed Salah took his Premier League goal tally to 21 with a double in Liverpool's 2-2 draw with Tottenham. It's taken the Egypt star just 25 top-flight appearances for the Reds to reach his current total, with his first against Spurs taking him to 20 Premier League goals quicker than any player in the club's history.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
NI KI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:47 AM   #142
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Gerrard: United clash is juicy - it's a great draw for us

Steven Gerrard is 'licking his lips' at the prospect of managing Liverpool U19s in their UEFA Youth League knockout tie with Manchester United later this month.

The north-west rivals were paired against each other in Friday’s last-16 draw and will face off at Prenton Park on the afternoon of Wednesday February 21.

Having shadowed the senior team in their Champions League group-stage campaign – facing Maribor, Sevilla and Spartak Moscow – Gerrard’s charges now go solo in the remainder of the competition.

In providing his immediate reaction to the draw, the Reds legend admitted he is relishing the opportunity ahead and called on his players to rise to the importance of the occasion.

Read on for the full Q&A with Liverpoolfc.com…

Was it fate we were going to draw United?

I had a funny feeling it would be one of the English teams. Obviously it makes it a little bit juicier that it’s United. It’s a great game for us and nice to have home advantage. I’m looking forward to it; it’s a great tie for the lads, a great experience in a one-off knockout game. We’ll give it our best. I’m licking my lips at the prospect of that one.

Does the players’ reaction to the draw suggest they believe they can go far in the competition?

They should believe that they can. The way they performed in the group stage, and earned the right to miss the play-off game, they performed very well. But the message from us as staff is that it’s going to get a lot tougher. You can get away with a bad performance in the group stage, like we did with Spartak away. We can’t afford any complacency or to turn up and not deliver, we need to be right on it. Our best team going into this game is capable of winning – it’s as simple as that. It’s a blow not having Rhian Brewster, who would help us immensely, but there should be confidence and belief within the group that they can stay in the competition. It will be tough, United have got good players and are a good team. They will be organised and it will be a very good test for us.

We have had good games against United…

I’m pleased that the lads’ reaction is one of positivity. We could have drawn anyone and it would have been a challenge and a test. It’s a little bit bigger because it’s a local team; they’ll know a lot about us and we’ll know a lot about them. But it’ll all boil down to whoever performs better on the day as a collective group – hopefully it’s us.

It would be an away trip to Manchester City or Inter Milan in the quarter-finals…

Yes, but it’s pointless to discuss it. I’m not one for predicting further down the line in competitions. As a player, I always worried about what was in front of me – the next game or the next round. There is no point worrying about what is waiting for you in the quarter-final. You’ve got to take care of the last-16 game first. United are not going to turn up and lie down, they’re going to come and play well and put a lot of pressure on us. They come as slight underdogs just because they haven’t got home advantage, so it takes a little bit of pressure away from them and it’s over to us. We have to handle that, live with it and perform under that pressure.

Have you seen greater maturity in these players from playing in Europe?

If you look at individual players – the likes of Curtis [Jones], Rafa [Camacho], Adam Lewis, Liam Millar – when they have gone up to the U23s they have done themselves no harm at all. A few of them have been invited to train with the first team of late, and reports say they have handled it really well with maturity. I’m not sure those players would have been able to handle that six months ago or even 12 months ago. We’re really pleased with the development, not just on the pitch but off the pitch as well. Watching the first team when they’re on European trips goes a long way because the first team always set the example for the young lads to follow. The first team have done a good job and the lads have matured a lot.

You’re on your own now, which brings about its own special pressure?

There is always pressure in this competition. Alex, when we took the role – myself and Critch – let us know it’s a big one. We have handled the pressure very well so far but that does get more and more the more you progress in the competition. I’m glad the first team are still in, they have got a tough tie themselves against Porto but they’re capable of qualifying. We look forward to that. We need to do our job as well, and try to keep the club – both at youth level and first-team level – in the competition as long as possible.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:49 AM   #143
NI KI
Arofanatic

Old 10-02-2018, 05:51 AM   #144
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default LFC injury update: Gomez, Klavan and Moreno latest

Ragnar Klavan and Alberto Moreno are in contention to return to the Liverpool squad for Sunday's trip to Southampton, Jürgen Klopp has revealed.

However, the Reds will be without the services of Joe Gomez for the weekend clash with Mauricio Pellegrino's men, with the defender aiming to return against Porto, according to the boss.

Speaking ahead of this weekend's game, Klopp provided the following fitness update...

On Joe Gomez: "He was running outside but not with the team but that means he's close.

"I don't think he has a chance for Sunday if they don't come in and say the running was the good! We can have him this afternoon as well but then Porto, there's a chance. We will see."

On Ragnar Klavan: "Raggy trained the last two days."

On Alberto Moreno: "Alberto needed only two days again and looked good yesterday. That's it - nothing else at the moment."
Old 10-02-2018, 05:52 AM   #145
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Klopp explains Hans Leitert's Liverpool role

Jürgen Klopp has explained the role Hans Leitert fulfils with Liverpool.

The manager was asked to clarify reports this week that the Austrian serves as a goalkeeping consultant for the club.

“Giving advice for the scouting department, nothing else. It’s not that he makes any decisions, he can’t. That’s how it is,” replied Klopp at his pre-Southampton press conference.

“But goalkeeping is a special position, so I think it makes sense that in the scouting department we have somebody who is more responsible for that.

“But it’s not that he comes in and says, ‘I found it, this is our new No.1’.

“We have a lot of goalkeepers at the club for different age groups, and that’s what his job is, first of all. The only person responsible for goalkeeper training in the first team is John Achterberg.

“For head of scouting, we have other people. But he brings in all the information he can get, that’s all. We have people for Germany, we have people for Austria, we have people for each country. And we have people for goalkeeping in all these countries – and Hans is this guy.”
Old 10-02-2018, 06:12 AM   #146
NI KI
Arofanatic

Mohamed Salah on Real Madrid transfer rumours, Liverpool's Champions League hopes and Philippe Coutinho

Mohamed Salah insists he is happy at Liverpool amidst continued interest from Real Madrid.

The Egyptian star is enjoying a phenomenal debut season at Anfield and has already plundered 28 goals since his £36.9million move from Roma.

His form has attracted the attention of the Spanish giants, with Real boss Zinedine Zidane publicly speaking of his admiration of the 25-year-old.

Salah's national team boss Hector Cuper has also expressed belief the European champions would bid for the player – a viewpoint echoed by the head of the Egyptian FA.

Yet when this was put to Salah by Marca – a Madrid-based newspaper – the forward said: "Why do you think they say these things? I don't have much to say about that. If I have to say something, I'll say I'm happy at Liverpool.

"At the moment I am here. I want to concentrate on my team and finish the season very well.

"Yes, I follow it (La Liga), I see some games. Not always, because sometimes they coincide with Liverpool fixtures, of course.

“It's a good league, has top teams, and the way they play is very attractive."

Salah has constantly reiterated his commitment to Liverpool – despite claims from abroad of Real's intent to take him to the Bernabeu.

The former Roma man revealed there had been interest from elsewhere before he opted to join up with Jurgen Klopp, but was always keen for a return to the Premier League following his short spell with Chelsea.

"Yes, there were other teams interested, but I honestly prefer not to name them,” he added. “I decided to come here and I think it was a good choice."

"It's a great club, we have fantastic players, a good team, an incredible team. I wanted to go back to England and when I had the opportunity to come to Liverpool I was very happy. And I am now.”

Salah has been a key component of Liverpool's enthralling attack this season, striking up a partnership with Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane and the now-departed Philippe Coutinho.

The African Player of the Year admits he misses Coutinho – but hasn't ruled out lifting the Champions League despite his sale to Barcelona.

"I miss him anyway!” Salah said. “He was my friend, a very nice guy. I wish him all the best in Barcelona because he is an incredible player, with a lot of quality.

“As a person he's very calm. I'm proud to have played by his side.”

On the club's hopes of lifting the Champions League, he added: "I have already commented that in football anything can happen. We will try to work hard in each match and win it. I am very excited about the next games.

"There is no extra pressure (against Porto) because for us every game is important - the Premier League, cups, Champions League.

“Of course this competition is something different for the club and the fans but the team tries in every match to give 100%.

“It will be an important game against a great team, and we will have to give more than them to win."
Old 10-02-2018, 06:16 AM   #147
NI KI
Arofanatic

Liverpool have cooled interest in Thomas Lemar and will focus their attention on other targets

Liverpool have cooled their interest in Monaco attacking midfielder Thomas Lemar.

The ECHO understands that the France international is not on the list of targets under consideration ahead of this summer's transfer window.

Lemar has been heavily touted as a potential replacement for Philippe Coutinho, who was sold to Barcelona for £142million in January.

Reports in France this week suggested that Liverpool's hopes of signing him had been bolstered by his refusal to pen a new contract.

However, the Reds are no longer pursuing the 22-year-old and are focusing their attention elsewhere.

Sporting director Michael Edwards held talks with Monaco last August but the Reds were unable to agree a deal with the Ligue One outfit. After late interest from Arsenal, the asking price rocketed and he ended up staying put.

Liverpool kept close tabs on Lemar throughout the first half of this season but after Jurgen Klopp sanctioned the sale of Coutinho, the manager opted against making another attempt to sign him.

One reason was the £90million price tag which the Reds boss felt was excessive. Klopp believes that cash would be better spent elsewhere this summer.

Lemar caught Liverpool's eye after bagging 14 goals and providing 17 assists as Monaco won the French title and reached the semi-finals of the Champions League last season.

However, his contribution this term has been considerably less impressive with three goals and five assists.

The club's recruitment team, which includes Dave Fallows and Barry Hunter as well as Klopp and Edwards, are convinced that there are other players in that position who will be available this summer and are more suited to what Liverpool require.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:20 AM   #148
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Tempted, Liverpool? Borussia Dortmund 'name their price' for Christian Pulisic

With Thomas Lemar no longer a target, thoughts have already turned to who Liverpool could target to bolster their creativity.

One name frequently mentioned is Christian Pulisic - with the American superstar already attracting attention from Jurgen Klopp in previous transfer windows.

But if the Reds were to follow up that interest any further, he will cost a fair price, according to the German media.

Broadcasters Sport1 claim Borussia Dortmund would consider letting the 19-year-old midfielder go - but for a fee no less than 100million euros.

The story says the Bundesliga club are looking to extend the player's contract, which expires in 2020, but if there are indications Pulisic would like to move on, they will listen to offers of just under £90million.

Manchester United and Bayern Munich have also been linked with the Pennsylvanian, who Liverpool tried to bring to Anfield in 2016, only to see their £11million offer dismissed by Klopp's former club.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:35 AM   #149
NI KI
Arofanatic

Liverpool leave Lemar, so what next? Who Jurgen Klopp could focus on when the transfer window opens

Just under a week before Valentine's Day and Liverpool's summer romance has officially ended.

Their dalliance with Thomas Lemar was whirlwind in August, cooling in January, and is now officially cold with the transfer window closed for the season.

It was already known Jurgen Klopp was content with Adam Lallana and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain until the end of the campaign, but the German boss will want to reinforce his side's creativity ahead of next season.

Who, then, could be next in line after the Reds cooled their interest in the French international?

It raises an interesting point, of course. Lemar was considered as a replacement for Philippe Coutinho by many - if not those monitoring him at the club - but the two players were not similar in skillset.

What sort of player will Klopp seek, then? Coutinho was more cerebral, with a lighter touch; Lemar was pace and power, with dynamism suited to playing out wide.

The key attributes which any summer arrival needs is both creativity and versatility; a player who can function in both central or wide positions, and one who can both create and score goals.

Several exist, but few will come cheap.

Here are those who could fill the boots that Coutinho wore - and Lemar never - at Anfield.

The obvious option - Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund)

America’s next big hope has quickly become their one true hope, full stop. At just 19, he is regarded as one of the most exciting young players in Europe, and has already scored nine international goals for the United States.

Klopp tried to prise him from Dortmund in 2016, but the Bundesliga club insisted he was not for sale. After his development has continued, it would take a fearsome bid to prise him from Klopp’s former club, with suggestions he could cost up to £90million.

But BVB are in transition, having sacked Peter Bosz and appointed Peter Stoger until the end of the season. Klopp knows Pulisic from his time at Westfalenstadion - although the forward never played a first-team game before the coach's departure in 2015 - and he is touted as one of Europe's next superstars.

The statistical shout - Nabil Fekir (Lyon)

Fekir has already earned several admirers with his performances for Lyon, including Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane.

It is clear to see why the 24-year-old is being linked with a move out of France, and statistically he possesses a profile similar to Coutinho, and has thrived in the same league as Lemar.

He has scored 16 goals in 21 league games this season – a remarkable rate in that division for his position – as well as two Europa League strikes, one of those against Everton.

The French international also averages two key passes per game, completes nearly four successful dribbles, and rattles off an average of three shots per game.

Similar in style and similar in figures as Coutinho, perhaps Fekir is the man to fill the Brazilian's boots.

The Bundesliga wonderkid - Kai Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen)

Still just 18, plenty in Germany are talking about Havertz.

Finding his feet in attacking midfield, the teenager has flourished this season after breaking through last year in a troubled campaign at Leverkusen.

His style of play has drawn comparisons with Mesut Ozil - an accolade borne out of his 11 Bundesliga assists in just 27 starts.

Tall and powerful, he seems tailor-made for the Premier League.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:41 AM   #150
NI KI
Arofanatic

The Premier League proven - Manuel Lanzini (West Ham)

Though Wilfried Zaha and Riyad Mahrez are arguably the two best players outside the Premier League top six, Lanzini is one who can play in various positions and transitions from defence to attack quickly.

Skilful in possession and with the ability to float between the lines, the Argentine was West Ham’s best performer in the past two seasons.

But the 24-year-old looks as if he needs a move, a step up in class perhaps, and Liverpool could provide him with that. His pedigree suggests he could improve even further alongside better players.

A hamstring injury has curtailed his momentum this season, but he could be worth another glance in the summer.

The former target - Julian Draxler (Paris St-Germain)

Touted as one of Europe’s hottest properties at Wolfsburg, the German international was wanted by Liverpool last January as they eyed reinforcements in attacking positions.

Draxler opted for the French capital instead but has been linked with a move away just 12 months on, having failed to fully launch his career with PSG, completing 90 minutes in just three league games this season.

He would remain a player capable of working with the Reds’ current attacking line-up, operating wide or central, although the 24-year-old would have to improve his goalscoring.

The outlandish attempt - Christian Eriksen (Tottenham)

After taking Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain from Arsenal, how about an outrageous attempt to prise a star from their North London rivals?

Eriksen is arguably one of the most underrated players in Europe with his performances under Mauricio Pochettino worthy of one of Europe's top clubs.

Outsiders may regard a move from Spurs to Liverpool as a sideways step, but if the Reds could guarantee Champions League football and Spurs could not, perhaps that would hold some sort of advantage.

Outrageous, outlandish and unlikely. But what a thought it is.

The fans' favourite - Isco (Real Madrid)

Upon news of Lemar no longer being a target for Liverpool, several supporters made their desire clear: Isco.

The Real Madrid star has featured in central midfield this season - both in a more withdrawn role and as a more attacking outlet - and impressed.

But with Zinedine Zidane's side struggling, sitting fourth in La Liga, an overhaul is expected, with the 25-year-old one of the potential casualties.

That has led to a number of Reds fans expressing their hopes Isco comes to bolster the club's midfield options.

The Jamaican sensation - Leon Bailey (Bayer Leverkusen)

Few clubs in Germany nurture exciting prospects like Bayer Leverkusen. Klopp knows that well enough – he wanted Julian Brandt from Die Werkself, while Benjamin Henrichs and Kai Havertz are youngsters attracting interest from across Europe.

Bailey, though, is having a season and a half. The Jamaican moved to Germany from Genk in January of last year, and has settled nicely in the Bundesliga.

The 20-year-old has the speed, skill and dribbling prowess of a traditional winger, but it is his end product which is catching the eye of late. He has 10 goals already this season, including the most incredible backheeled strike against Hoffenheim, and his explosive style has been likened to Arjen Robben's, no less.

“He’s so fast it’s not normal,” says former Dutch international Ronald De Boer. “His speed, combined with his technique, is very rare. Exceptional. He has no weak points.”