Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 28-04-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
Royston
Dragon

Default Another Dutch Attempt

Deathly quiet at the planted hobby scene these days. Not sure if all the old aquascapers have retired. And its is really difficult to get aquarium plants these days.

Consider that it has being some time since I played with "high-end" planted again. So I am getting my hands wet with another attempt with dutch layout. I have always love the dutch layout because I do not like the ideal of spending hundred over dollars buying "special rocks" for a planted tank(which I did before and then throw them all away when I decomm and move house).

I have also just repaired my own Hailea HC-150A it is now so much quiet than before diy fan changing is fun as long as I don't get electrical shock.

So this is what my last dutch layout looks like

This is going to be a journal like posting. I will post my progress on the steps taken by me so I will also show my mistakes and maybe hope that someone else does not make the same reading this (although I doubt many are left in this hobby).
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Royston
Dragon

My 1st new posting getting started right my tank is 3ft long x1ft deep x2ft in height. I am using ADA substrate system and some diy mix in this process. 1st step in what I have use are ADA Bacter, Clear Super and Tourmaline BC then doing the normal sweeping off from the edges of the tank into the center. To achieve the below picture.

Now the next step is my own because I always feel that it is not enough to just have those as a sustainable substrate system and because I am a lazy bugger who is always lazy to dose liquid fertilisers. I am adding my own concoction of a more rich substrate system. Using sera floredepot(dennerle deponit mix sold out.....at Y618) and additional dennerle E15 iron tabs into my mix.

Old 28-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #3
Royston
Dragon

Then comes the pouring of ADA Amazonia(normal type) into the tank with more on the back of the tank and less on the front forming a slope. 1 big pack was really more than enough for a 3x1x2 tank. This step is better to have a small cut on the bag or using a cup to scoop so you will not accidently "over pour" the sand causing it to disturb the already nicely form substrate system done previously.
Old 28-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
exotic_idiot
Dragon

great to see you sharing your planted journey bro+!!!

swee swee tank
exotic_idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Thumbs up

Camping here, await master piece Dutch Planted.

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #6
Royston
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by exotic_idiot View Post
great to see you sharing your planted journey bro+!!!

swee swee tank
Thank you for the appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong88 View Post
Camping here, await master piece Dutch Planted.
Not master piece, like the cyndi lauper song "Girls(Uncle) just want to have fun".
Old 29-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #7
Royston
Dragon

My posting was interrupted due to a disaster I come to realise near the end of planting but that posting will come later.

Anyway back to my set up after pouring the ADA ammzonia into the tank and creating a slope comes to the part where some like me will most definitely screw up. Which is the adding of an amount of water for planting.

Many a times we have learn from our masters in youtube or books that easiest way to plant is to have a low level of water just enough to cover the substrate. So how low is low(foreground low ? mid low? or background plants low?) not 1 master have mentioned if our substrate is in a slope does it mean we have to tilt our tank (please do not tilt your tank). Here I will share my "secrets" of how to do it.

1st is to add a small amount just enough to cover the foreground area for planting in the foreground all your glosso, monte carlo, HC etc. But I am using Hydrocotyle tripartita (japan), alternanthera reineckii "mini" and of cause my favourite elatine triandra (aka ah pek plant). Follow by adding somemore water till it reaches your midground level to plant your mid follow by your background as the last. Another tip to remember is that plastic bags are your best friends when adding water to the tank.

After almost 5hrs of doing planting and adding water not even taking a min of rest this is the result of my work.

Taken with my living room only lights the same min I completed the adding of water with scums and wood flooding thanks to ada amazonia.

This is after the initial clean up.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:47 AM   #8
exotic_idiot
Dragon

swee swee... water still super clear!!!

job well done bro...
Old 10-05-2017, 12:40 AM   #9
Royston
Dragon

Here I will mentioned about the disaster. When my tank was totally ready. I found out that my co2 solenoid regulator is leaking and there is no way to fix it. So I tried to get my new regulator from Y618 but uncle told me that they do not sell the regulator any more only sell them as a package!? Meaning if I am to get a new one I will be having 3x CO2 tanks at home......

Lesson learnt : Check your CO2 system if they are really working before starting the project. End of the day I have to go all the way to Seaview to get my new CO2 solenoid regulator. This is already 2 days into my already setup tank.

At the lazy schedule of fertilization of once every 2 days of BW Vivid and adding BW Essence K & BW Ferrum 2 days later. Below is the result of about 2weeks. I will only increase the dosing interval from the 3rd week onwards. As I believe the plants need to get a customise to the conditions of the tank. Therefore I will not full blast on the fertilizer and lighting regime. So far I can already see some plants are not doing as well perhaps due to conversion. None of the water is changed as well.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:14 AM   #10
exotic_idiot
Dragon

nice dutch setup bro.. tks for sharing all details