Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 24-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #31
Huaikong
Endangered Dragon

use our $$ breed maggot whereas some parents r working like hell to support their kids go study U,knn....
Huaikong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #32
jwhtan
Barney

Meritocracy my foot.

My elder son's results when he was in ACSI IB were better than many of the overseas scholars. Chinese/Indonesians/Fillipinos etc. I paid full school fees all 6 years. Independent School Fees.

And next year, in NUS, I'll have to pay more than $20K per year to see him through while those " scholars " who did not do as well as him gets free Uni education and they all start last year while my son does his ...... National Service.

Thanks.
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #33
kpchua
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
Meritocracy my foot.

My elder son's results when he was in ACSI IB were better than many of the overseas scholars. Chinese/Indonesians/Fillipinos etc. I paid full school fees all 6 years. Independent School Fees.

And next year, in NUS, I'll have to pay more than $20K per year to see him through while those " scholars " who did not do as well as him gets free Uni education and they all start last year while my son does his ...... National Service.

Thanks.
That is the point made by the ppl but they conveniently missed it...
kpchua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #34
byfun
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces View Post

"Whether they are a GLC (government-linked company), the government or a private company, they all want good people to work for them," he told Yahoo! Singapore in an interview on Thursday.

He said that a scholarship should be awarded based on meritocracy, and should not be allocated specifically to locals or foreigners.

"If a local is as good or better than the foreigner, I think the local should get it. It shouldn't be because I want a foreigner, therefore I will settle for (a candidate with) a lower standard… because ultimately people want good talents, so the nationality should not be an issue at all," he added.
Base on fully meritocracy then our MP position should be open to foreigners also. They should not be allocated specifically to locals as long they can serve the people and do good. Same logic ...
byfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #35
globalcookie
Dragon

These kind of truth shd be on STOMP and other public media so they can stop all their crap cover ups.

Do we really still need such a government, that favours outsiders at the expenses of our own kind? This is just like, having your family members extends so much kindness to others but when it comes to you, they let u go and struggle. The best is for others.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #36
byfun
Arofanatic

Quote:
Meritocracy my foot.

Thanks.
Education should be free for all Singaporean. At least basic education like those in primary school and secondary school.

For those imported FT student. There should be a benchmark for them to meet. If after 2-3 yrs in Singapore and they still cannot make it to top 5% of their cohort, they have proven they are no talent. Their scholarship should be terminated but they can choose to pay full foreign student school fees if they want to continue to study here.

No point wasting taxpayers money on average foreign students when almost all sporean student need to pay full fee regardless how well they perform.
byfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #37
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Meritocracy my foot.

Thanks.
did your son try to apply for the scholarships?
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #38
ray2828
Dragon

some of these so call scholarships (at least during time) was part of Singapore's aid to developing countries. Instead of giving cash, our govt gave scholarships.

not defending the pap or comments made online, just to point out its hard to get money from the pap govt, aid also got strings attached.
ray2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #39
globalcookie
Dragon

That was during the late 90s. Why do we still need to do this? Yes yes we can continue, but, over the years, Singaporeans have been pushed out of the system and they are pointing fingers into our face telling us we are not good enough.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #40
smellyfish
Dragon

to the girls, is this guy considered handsome? some say he handsome. or is teo ser luck more handsome?
smellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote