Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 01-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #41
AlvinLeong
Dragon

I cannot understand why the starting salary for bus captain is so low after so many years..... since we have this shortage of manpower problem for so many years, just raise the starting salary to $1.8k, I'm sure there will be more people will think about this job as a career.

Please don't tell me simi must be competitive lah, must be simi sai.... now very clear cut, SMRT/SBS every financial year posted millions of profits and yet the basic salary of their most important employees remain almost the same for so many years.

Few years down the road, what if the PRC also find the basic pay of bus captain is too low? How? Go africa and find cheap labour?
AlvinLeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #42
therat
Arofanatic

Reason is very simple.

Maximum profit with lower operating and headcount cost.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
therat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #43
texas5
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
If we look back to the 90s, we used to have more M'sian drivers. I prefers these M'sian drivers. At least they understand a bit of English, they know the driving culture, they are familar with things in Singapore. They did a lot better job than today's China drivers.
i agree with you..101%

Last edited by texas5; 01-03-2012 at 11:25 AM.
texas5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #44
foxwagon
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
Thought all these while training is in an empty bus?
Since when training is with loaded passengers? What if accident happens?
No lah, this is not that type of "training" as there were many passengers on board.

This morning I took 851 again. This time from Lentor Ave towards YCK MRT. Also same thing. Morning peak crowd, bus full of passengers. Driver PRC. With one existing local bus driver as guide sitting on the seat closest to the door. Wah lao, the guide was sleeping! Was afraid the PRC drove the bus up to SLE instead of going to YCK MRT, lucky that fellow stayed on the correct lane. If not will be another case of the bus went round the whole island.
foxwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #45
jungle
Senior Dragon

Bro foxwagon, its ok the guide already ask the driver if he is familiar and driver said confirmed, double confirmed before the guide goes to sleep la

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #46
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
No lah, this is not that type of "training" as there were many passengers on board.

This morning I took 851 again. This time from Lentor Ave towards YCK MRT. Also same thing. Morning peak crowd, bus full of passengers. Driver PRC. With one existing local bus driver as guide sitting on the seat closest to the door. Wah lao, the guide was sleeping! Was afraid the PRC drove the bus up to SLE instead of going to YCK MRT, lucky that fellow stayed on the correct lane. If not will be another case of the bus went round the whole island.
Take video and stomp him lor..... If more such attitude works in buses company will result in higher operating cost and will ultimately increase our bus fares.

He better treasure his jobs, if retrenched, he may have to pick plates at coffee shops...
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #47
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinLeong View Post

Few years down the road, what if the PRC also find the basic pay of bus captain is too low? How? Go africa and find cheap labour?
can work with Singapore Zoo train monkeys to be drivers, just need to pay them peanuts
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #48
globalcookie
Dragon

The take home pay (including allowance, etc) can be >$2k as a bus captian (in the 90s. I remb there were bus ads which mentioned these.

I suspect it isn't that M'sians ain keen. I suspect it is the MOM foreign worker quota that is playing the trick. If we look at quota, seems like, food business MUST employ China workers in order to employ other nationals. Thus we see China man in indian food establishments too (eg prata shops)
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #49
Rocky
Dragon

anyone ever ask why S'porean dont like to be Bus Captain??

one fellow told me reason for him to quit is the stress... they have KPI for driver as well.,, KPI measure in a sense that they hv to be able to complete his/her route given within a time limt otherwsie ppl will complaint of long waiting..

Last edited by Rocky; 03-03-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #50
leong26

Sbs talk lah, what no singaporean dun want to work, increase the basic to 2k la, see got Singaporean go interview for bus captain or not. I for 1 go first! And I'm a 100% Singaporean made in Singapore!

Even those cement trucks tipper trucks driver earn much much more than commuter bus driver, what for drive sbs when u can easily made 4k+ driving those trucks Rite? Another thing is for most drivers driving a bus full of passenger is different from those trucks full of load. The former holds more responsibility cos carry human beings lay.

In that sense ,a starting basic pay of 2k for a bus captain is not too much bah,most of these company like to find all sort of reason , excuse to say Singapore Lang don't want to work these lah or that lah blah blah blah , I will say knn YOU, don't anyhow BU LOUK Singaporean hor!

As a country Singapore already hold number1 title in world stage! We the
langin singapore also buay susay kao toh wee ki lah, tio Bo bros/sis.

Pay must be right and make sense FIRST before Singaporeans puts in heart and soul to the work lah.

Last edited by leong26; 03-03-2012 at 09:42 PM.