Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 26-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
hkh
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxedfish View Post
she's just made herself a keyboard warrior.. anyway, if she would voice this out in parliament, who will listen to her?
By hiding behind the monitor...... Who knows whether this was her true opinion or her hubby had helpped to pen her script.....
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
ymmij
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkh View Post
By hiding behind the monitor...... Who knows whether this was her true opinion or her hubby had helpped to pen her script.....
Well the last time when spoke in parliament old man left the room immediately.

Maybe old man surf Facebook?

Anyway even if she spoke up elsewhere we know she might not be the one who wrote the script..
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
coyote66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMind View Post
As I see it, the problem is not foreign workers who do jobs which Singaporeans are not so willing to do (eg: Construction or manual labour); the problem is foreigners given priority in jobs which Singaporeans want to do (including skilled labour and so-called professional jobs like jobs relating to accountancy).

The problem is that Government must protect Singaporean jobs by making sure Companies do not hire foreigners when Singaporeans are willing and able to do the given job.
they are not given priority
they are employed becos they are cheaper than singaporeans
unless singaporean are willing to accept the same pay as FT?

so must forced employers to employ local but with higher pay?
eventually operating cost go up and competitiveness go down
company close down
employer and 20 employees all die together

something like Free Trade?
to protect or not to protect
Old 26-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Tan View Post
Like that anyone can be a MP too ......
But the anyone shd be the spouse of a very high ranking officier, best if he/she is PA to PM or Pressie, etc.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
foxwagon
Dragon

Is this going to be said this in parliament?

O yes, did'nt she said last time, one of the comments was made by her FB administrator & not by herself? During some cooling off period?

Last edited by foxwagon; 26-06-2012 at 02:06 PM.
foxwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #16
DarkMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote66 View Post
they are not given priority
they are employed becos they are cheaper than singaporeans
unless singaporean are willing to accept the same pay as FT?

so must forced employers to employ local but with higher pay?
eventually operating cost go up and competitiveness go down
company close down
employer and 20 employees all die together

something like Free Trade?
to protect or not to protect
When I mention "priority", I mean that too (what you mentioned).

There should be companies which can afford to pay their employees at fair rates but are not doing so in order to boost their profits (at their workers' expense). These are the companies the government should crack down on so as to prevent companies from inflating their profits at the expense of Singaporean jobs.

The other extreme is to allow anyone to employ anyone (from any country) at any wage. This will cause many Singaporeans to either be jobless or be unable to earn enough to survive. In such a scenario, there will be many more foreigners employed in Singapore at the expense of Singaporean jobs. This can't be right for Singaporeans.

Another point to consider is that if the playing field is level (increased operating costs for all the companies in an industry in Singapore), then it is up to companies to find ways to increase their profits, but not at the expense of Singaporean wages (depressed wages) or Singaporean jobs.

As far as I know, there is no 1st world country that freely allow foreigners to take over local jobs (including high-paying jobs). Otherwise, many Singaporeans here would already have left for those countries easily to get those jobs in other countries (either high-paying jobs, or jobs that are not so high-paying in the foreign country, but would be considered to be high wage when one considers the purchasing power of the wage earned overseas and spent in Singapore).
Old 26-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #17
coyote66

Quote:

There should be companies which can afford to pay their employees at fair rates but are not doing so in order to boost their profits (at their workers' expense). These are the companies the government should crack down on so as to prevent companies from inflating their profits at the expense of Singaporean jobs.

The other extreme is to allow anyone to employ anyone (from any country) at any wage. This will cause many Singaporeans to either be jobless or be unable to earn enough to survive. In such a scenario, there will be many more foreigners employed in Singapore at the expense of Singaporean jobs. This can't be right for Singaporeans.

Another point to consider is that if the playing field is level (increased operating costs for all the companies in an industry in Singapore), then it is up to companies to find ways to increase their profits, but not at the expense of Singaporean wages (depressed wages) or Singaporean jobs.

As far as I know, there is no 1st world country that freely allow foreigners to take over local jobs (including high-paying jobs). Otherwise, many Singaporeans here would already have left for those countries easily to get those jobs in other countries (either high-paying jobs, or jobs that are not so high-paying in the foreign country, but would be considered to be high wage when one considers the purchasing power of the wage earned overseas and spent in Singapore).
Ask the towkay here
They want to do wat u suggest or not?
If eventually u become towkay i m sure u will right?

Why u neber suggest local accepting lower pay to drive ft away?

Last edited by coyote66; 26-06-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 26-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #18
bobbysayang
Arofanatic

Quote:
As I see it, the problem is not foreign workers who do jobs which Singaporeans are not so willing to do (eg: Construction or manual labour); the problem is foreigners given priority in jobs which Singaporeans want to do (including skilled labour and so-called professional jobs like jobs relating to accountancy).

The problem is that Government must protect Singaporean jobs by making sure Companies do not hire foreigners when Singaporeans are willing and able to do the given job.
Singapore has progressed somewhat, Singaporeans also have progressed. We want a certain quality of life (work-life balance if you like).

I can understand the need for weekends, leave for holidays with the family etc. It is disruptive to businesses but we will have to learn to manage it. Like Ang-mo countries, Christmas or summer holidays means a whole month of complete shut down for almost all businesses. Only essential services are available 24/7.

The foreigners are different, they are transient, coming here to make money, they can work 365 days without a break (I did when I was working in Indonesia, Middle East during my younger days). For them the reward is making enough to provide for their families back home.

The government has to take steps to improve the quality of life for the citizens.

Right now, its only about growth, GDP, foreigner influx. For us, what does it translates into, how is our life improved?

I look at it this way:

A father works hard to build up his wealth, purportedly for the well being of his children. As time goes on, he becomes so obsessed with building wealth, constantly acquiring more properties, employed consultants who are non-family members , pays them well and even gives scholarships to their children with the hope that they will look after his (the father's) wealth.

Meanwhile, his own children struggles in school, does reasonably well, but he refuses to pay for their tertiary education (even though he gave scholarships away freely). When his own children fall sick, they have to worry about their own medical expenses or he tells them to take a bus to JB, the medical care there is cheaper.

His children cannot throw him out, he keeps changing the rules to keep himself in power.

So what does his wealth mean to his children?

That is exactly what I am or I dare say, most of us, children of father Singapore are feeling now!

Last edited by bobbysayang; 26-06-2012 at 08:02 PM.
bobbysayang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #19
DarkMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote66 View Post
Ask the towkay here
They want to do wat u suggest or not?
If eventually u become towkay i m sure u will right?

Why u neber suggest local accepting lower pay to drive ft away?
If I am a boss I will never exploit my workers just to earn profit or earn more profit. Greed is futile. And if I am a big boss, surely I can put the interests of Singaporeans first before foreigners if my business is based in Singapore.
Old 27-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #20
zjy

Quote:

the root is from the rental,the land which sold to private,the higher the better,who benifit from it?the gov the rich ones.if rental cannot be cut,what else will u go too?the salary.