Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 07-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Aces
Arofanatic

Default Go for the maximum number of FT we can support: Mah Bow Tan

Former National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan has called for Singapore to continue bringing in more foreign labour in the coming years — as much as the country’s resources are able to sustain.

Speaking for the first time in Parliament this week as debate on the government’s population white paper neared the close of the third day, Mah said Singapore’s continued ability to attract foreigners will ensure its sustained competitiveness.

“Businesses will want more (foreign workers), some people will want less — the numbers can be calibrated,” he said.

“I support this. I say go for the maximum that our resources — land, water, energy — can support, whatever that number is. It shows that Singapore is an attractive place, a thriving, vibrant city, one where people want to come here to live and work and play," he declared.

“If we lose our competitiveness, our verve and vitality, our cohesion and confidence, not only will we not have foreigners wanting to come here; our own sons and daughters will leave for a better life,” he added.

Mah cautioned that after spending a lot of time “looking inwards, talking about our discomforts, our space”, the debate has not yet posed the question of how Singapore will compete with the outside world, something Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong alluded to as well when he spoke earlier Wednesday.

“It is almost taken for granted that the good life will continue even if growth slows,” he said. “We expect more infrastructure to be rolled out even as growth slows — more houses, more rail lines. We want more subsidies for healthcare and housing, but please, let’s have less foreign workers and a slower pace of life.

“Where will the revenue from all this come from?” he asked, citing a footnote in the White Paper which said the government’s revenue comes from income, consumption and asset taxes, all of which are dependent on economic growth.

“I believe size matters. I believe we need a bigger population with better-educated and trained citizens, as well as talented non-residents to supplement our home-grown talent," he said.

The former cabinet minister spent some time speaking at length about the external challenges he perceives important to Singapore — from the more than 6 million university graduates who emerge from various parts of China every year to whether or not Europe will be able to recover from its economic woes.

In these, he stressed the importance of “rid(ing) the wave with them and not be(ing) caught in the tide and drown(ing)”.

“We are still a small city state — in fact, we are tiny city state,” he said. “We still have no oil or gas or gold or diamonds. Politics has entered a new normal, but we need to earn our living through wits and hard work, and our need to be useful to the world — that hasn’t changed.”

He also called the debate on the 6.9-million projection figure a “semantics trap”, saying the number has been called many things: a target, a possibility, a projection, and a worst-case scenario.

“We have been caught in a semantics trap — in other words, what was said has been taken to mean something other than what was intended. People believe what they choose to believe,” he said, adding his worry that members of the House “are not being fair to (them)selves” when debate places excessive focus on the number.

“Population is not an exact science; it’s never been... frankly, right now it’s hard to convince people that the White Paper is on the right track, or people cannot understand why we are talking about bringing in more people when in their own day-to-day experience they feel the squeeze on trains and buses,” he said.

Mah joined a growing group of MPs petitioning that the government conduct a review of the White Paper assumptions in five years’ time, so that citizens will see a clearer picture of how things have changed — whether congestion is easing up, housing prices have stabilised, fertility rate is going up, and whether companies can be more productive and cope with less foreign labour.

“Will these happen? And if so, by how much? It would be a much more informed and meaningful debate by then.”

Mah’s speech comes at a politically volatile time for the ruling People’s Action Party, which is facing grief from Singapore citizens at its handling of the massive influx of foreigners in recent years that has diluted what is now being dubbed the “Singapore core” — the pool of Singapore-born and bred citizens — as the city-state continues to struggle with an ageing population and one of the lowest total fertility rates on the world.

Go for the maximum resources can support: Mah Bow Tan on foreign labour - Yahoo! News Singapore
Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

Tis one the horse right... f lah... listen to horse talk.
BubbleBubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
hkh
Arofanatic

No wonder he is out of the cabinet......and if he speaks more.....he might sink the whole ship........
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
dave6238
Endangered Dragon

Knn... horse face (MBT) finally come out liao.... now oni need to wait for cow head (WKS) to appear..... then we can send gu tao n beh bin to see hai leng ong......
dave6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
Aris
Arofanatic

This is one idiot who is killing us by implementing many policies that hurt our pockets in the past. Did not perform well and was kicked out in the last election. He managed to enter parliament despite being defeated by CST in Potong Pasir through the back door in the next elections. Please get this one booted out from all government duties for here it shows his true colours.
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
DarkMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris View Post
This is one idiot who is killing us by implementing many policies that hurt our pockets in the past. Did not perform well and was kicked out in the last election. He managed to enter parliament despite being defeated by CST in Potong Pasir through the back door in the next elections. Please get this one booted out from all government duties for here it shows his true colours.
I heard from my ISD contact (who has left ISD) that the PAP government likes or favours him because he helped the PAP government make a lot of money (by squeezing us financially).
Old 07-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Foreign son and daughter in law as well?
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
DarkMind

Anyway, he is my MP and I did see him years ago about some personal problem of mine, and from what I can see (body language, facial expression and so on), he can't help the people much, or/and is not willing to go against the establishment to help the people. Moreover, he doesn't have that much power and influence in government in the departments he doesn't head.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces View Post
“It is almost taken for granted that the good life will continue even if growth slows,” he said. “We expect more infrastructure to be rolled out even as growth slows — more houses, more rail lines. We want more subsidies for healthcare and housing, but please, let’s have less foreign workers and a slower pace of life.

“Where will the revenue from all this come from?” he asked, citing a footnote in the White Paper which said the government’s revenue comes from income, consumption and asset taxes, all of which are dependent on economic growth.
I don't understand... The PAP MPs kept saying they need more money/foreign workers to build more houses, infrastructure etc, thus to justify the need for more foreigners to enter Singapore.

But in the first place, if there ain't so many foreigners here, we won't even be needing so many houses, railways etc!

Correct me if I'm wrong, cos I'm no govt scholar.

Last edited by WaveSurfer; 07-02-2013 at 03:21 PM.
WaveSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
smellyfish
Dragon

it's the same argument as the spare some thought for SME argument, if many of them start to go out of business, you actually release more people into the work force and dont need that many foreigners.

But of course it would be politically suicidal to say that.
smellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote