Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 09-11-2005, 01:32 PM   #41
loster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
I have the same problem with u. My tank seems to suck more KH than Ca. I am using Aquamedic CR1000 w Aquamedic media. Off my CR due to high Ca. Ca last measure 1 week ago was 500ppm with KH at 6-7.
that's interesting to note that. now my high Ca give problem on my rowaphos... they are hardening...

how much your Ca drop per day when you off your CR?
Old 09-11-2005, 02:10 PM   #42
subxero

Quote:
Originally Posted by loster
how much it drops per day? and what is your effluent output of ca reading?
Think I'll just stop all dosing except for CR still running, and take the readings for 3 days.. to compare the result.

By the way, will there be any difference if i take reading during light-on or light-off? I know that pH is usually higher during light-on.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #43
Tigger

Quote:
that's interesting to note that. now my high Ca give problem on my rowaphos... they are hardening...

how much your Ca drop per day when you off your CR?
Taken measurement again with salifert. Ca drop abt 40ppm in abt 4 days or so. Is this normal? My kh drops 2dkh every 3 days or so
Old 09-11-2005, 05:27 PM   #44
loster

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero
Think I'll just stop all dosing except for CR still running, and take the readings for 3 days.. to compare the result.

By the way, will there be any difference if i take reading during light-on or light-off? I know that pH is usually higher during light-on.
i am not too sure. i usually take my reading when my light is still off. i agree with you. u just stop dosing and compare the result after couple of days. and update us
Old 09-11-2005, 05:35 PM   #45
loster

Quote:
Taken measurement again with salifert. Ca drop abt 40ppm in abt 4 days or so. Is this normal? My kh drops 2dkh every 3 days or so
i guess it is normal. the reefer in RC or zeovit (can't remember where)also have high ca problem. what he did is that he stopped the run of his CR and dose his kh daily till the ca drop the the desirable level and than start run his CR again. his ca drop 20ppm per day.

my tank consume a lot of kh cos my coraline algae grow everywhere on the rocks like crazy. guess my p04 is high enough for the coraline algae to grow like wildfire
Old 10-11-2005, 01:17 AM   #46
Tigger

Quote:

my tank consume a lot of kh cos my coraline algae grow everywhere on the rocks like crazy. guess my p04 is high enough for the coraline algae to grow like wildfire
Bro is this a typo? I thou PO4 prevent calcification? Mine coraline is growing like mad too.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:37 AM   #47
loster

Quote:
Bro is this a typo? I thou PO4 prevent calcification? Mine coraline is growing like mad too.
hahaha... what i know is that when the p04 is way too low, coraline algae will stop growing and the sps colour will looks washout
Old 11-11-2005, 11:10 PM   #48
subxero

Quote:
i am not too sure. i usually take my reading when my light is still off. i agree with you. u just stop dosing and compare the result after couple of days. and update us
These are the reading that I've collected:

Day1 (2100hrs)
Ca 345ppm
kH >16
Mg 1275ppm
pH 7.6

Day2 (1830hrs)
Ca 340ppm
kH>16
Mg 1260ppm
pH 7.36

Day3 (1930hrs)
Ca 330ppm
kH>16
Mg 1245ppm
pH 7.5

Any advice? Everything seems kind of low..
Old 12-11-2005, 01:05 AM   #49
decentkid

wah..kH more then 16!?!?!

kH drops faster then calcium...cos when calcium drops by 20ppm, kH drops by 2.8 dkH...

low pH is due to your low calcium lvls...try dosing kalk to raise your calcium lvls..kalk ..it is calcium hydroxide..it is alkaline and can help raise your ph and calcium lvl but wont affect kh..

at the same time off your cr..it is adding more kH then your system uses..so kH tends to be high..let your system use up the excess kh so it drops to normal lvls..and dose ca to bring it back up...

my guess will be u will experience precipitation...so raise calcium slowly..at the same time change water...kH will swing quite alot..so go slow
Old 12-11-2005, 03:18 AM   #50
loster

alvin, what type of test kit are you using? your ph is way too low. does kalk to raise up your ph and it also have some help in your ca.

you got to stop your CR running and monitor your kh closely. let it drop till 7-8 and maintain it there. at the same time you dose ca and raise not more than 25ppm a day.

keep us update