Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 13-11-2009, 04:55 AM   #1
Audrey

Default How to ship?

Hi everyone. I am considering trying to sell some guppies on aquabid, but that would be I would have to ship them and dont have a clue how to properly do it. Anyone care to walk me through it? Thank you!
Old 13-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
lucasrock
User Under Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
Hi everyone. I am considering trying to sell some guppies on aquabid, but that would be I would have to ship them and dont have a clue how to properly do it. Anyone care to walk me through it? Thank you!
Where are you from? Singapore?
lucasrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
kian_john
Senior Dragon

contact AVA and ask lo?
kian_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
KeeHuat
Dragon

Quote:
If you intend to sell guppies frequently to hobbyists all over the world, then I guess it is worthwhile to pursue this. If it's an infrequent activity, i.e. a once in a while thing, my personal opinion is that it's not worth the hassle. Some of the things you have to consider are: putting them in bags, plastic type or Kordon breathing bags; packaging with optional heat packs; forwaders; courier companies, permits/documentation.

Last edited by KeeHuat; 13-11-2009 at 01:34 PM.
KeeHuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Audrey

lucasrock no I am from Oregon USA. Usually I sell them on craigslist, but maybe I have the area flooded with them now as I havnt had a single bite on my ads in months

kian John this may be a dumb question but what is the AVA and who is lo?

KeeHuat yeah you bring up good points, I know its a bit of an undertaking. I do have some kordon breather bags that I got a while back. I have 4 or 5 styrofoam boxes I have collected over the years from having fish shipped to me, so thats a start for sure lol. I dont know that I would be shipping all over the world, I would likely stick to the USA so I didnt have to worry about documents and permits. I for sure would have to research prices of shippers.
Old 13-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
detritus

Quote:
lucasrock no I am from Oregon USA. Usually I sell them on craigslist, but maybe I have the area flooded with them now as I havnt had a single bite on my ads in months

KeeHuat yeah you bring up good points, I know its a bit of an undertaking. I do have some kordon breather bags that I got a while back. I have 4 or 5 styrofoam boxes I have collected over the years from having fish shipped to me, so thats a start for sure lol. I dont know that I would be shipping all over the world, I would likely stick to the USA so I didnt have to worry about documents and permits. I for sure would have to research prices of shippers.
i think the purpose of lucasrock's question is to establish if we are in any position to assist or not regulations differs from place to place.

AVA is the agri-veterinary authority of singapore. thats where most of us are from

i wouldn't be able to comment on US regulations, but the practical aspects: kordon breathing bags are great for shipping live fishes. just call DHL, Fedex or UPS for rates and u should be good to go
Old 13-11-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
KeeHuat
Dragon

Quote:

Since you are from the USA and want to limit it to the USA, you can use your USPS (express service if reqd. to cut down on the transportation time) or for those that live nearby, they can come and pick it up from you. I bought a shipment of guppies recently from someone in the USA. My friend kindly brought them back for me. He put the package in his luggage and I picked them up from him when he arrived back home.

AVA is the Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore

http://www.ava.gov.sg/

Last edited by KeeHuat; 13-11-2009 at 05:12 PM.
KeeHuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
Audrey

detritus and keeHaut I got ya! Thanks lol. I did realize a few of you were from Singapore, but I didnt realize most of you were!

I am thinking I wont need to try to sell any out of state this time anyway, the market must be picking up again, I have sold 20 in the last 2 days and people who say they want to come get some in the next few days so yay!

Last edited by Audrey; 15-11-2009 at 02:28 PM.