Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 21-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
manakoleng
Arofanatic

Default My first attempt at a small planted shrimps tank

Tank: Gex Glassterior Slim 450 ( 45x20x22cm)
CO2: Fluval Mini CO2 Kit - 88g
Light: BeamsWork LED
Filtration: Eheim Aquaball 2208
Fan: Kotobuki Spot Fan 20

Fauna: 11 shrimps and a betta
Flora: Mini Fissiden, 1 has a Chinese name 鹿角草 written on the cover when I bought from C328, the other unknown.

Been using Seachem Prime, Stability, Flourish Traces and Potassium.

Last week

This week

Thanks for viewing. Comments, criticisms and advices are welcomed.
manakoleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

A few questions, bro.

1. How many shrimps do you have now from the original 11? Never seen anyone keep betta with shrimps before.
2. Considered having an external canister rather than internal filter? Small tank + big internal filter = a lot less area to scape with.
3. Any reason why you mixed the 2 substrates in this way? Will be a headache to separate in future if you decide to change setups.
4. Your ferts regime uses only Trace and Potassium? Any particular reasons why?
5. How is the CO2 distribution like in your setup? I personally prefer placing my diffuser in such a way that the stream of CO2 is spread by the filter's outlet for better distribution.
6. How is the beamswork LED working out for your setup? With ferts regime and CO2, I was wondering if there's enough lighting provided for by the lightset. I see the tank is located near your window, so you still have some sunlight. Hope algae won't become too much of an issue in the long run.

Other than that, pretty simple scape. I'm in favour of having more plants and replacing the internal filter with an external one (such as a hang-on-back type).
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
manakoleng
Arofanatic

Hi Jon-san,

A1. Last count, still 11. I've been observing the betta behaviour from Day 1, and the fellow doesn't seem interested in the shrimps. But I understand where you are coming from, and I will remove the betta if I notice any aggression from it.

A2. The existing filter was "recycled" from my previous 2-ft. It's been lying around in the cupboard for quite awhile and I decided to use it in this setup as I intend to keep it as cheap & simple as possible.

A3. No particular reasons, really. At the time of choosing substrates, I just thought perhaps it could provide some sort of color contrast. So it's really more for aesthetic.

A4. I was actually using JadeIceGreen's Project Nano as reference. Do I have to add other types of fert ?

A5. CO2 count is 1 bubble every 3 secs. Ok, I get your point, will try to do some shifting.

A6. The light is on for about 16hrs a day. So far, no algae yet and the plants have grown by a bit after 1 week. Do you think I should reduce the lightings or adjust the fert regime. I just aga-aga the amount, then observe the outcome. I'm learning along the way, and hope no major mistakes that will cause fatalities.

Thanks very much for all the questions and advices.
Old 22-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
manakoleng
Arofanatic

Ok, for greater peace of mind, I have taken the betta out and it's now in his own solo betta tank.