Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 08-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #1
Wild Ginger
Dragon

Default A new 3ft lateral addition.

Hi ya guys, have been quite a while since i last updated my tanks. So this particular one is a new addition to the already existing ones at home. Stats fr this tank is 3ft (ht) x1.5ft x 1.5ft. Lighted up using a Matrix 2ft 2x55W PL 8000k. Reason for choosing such a high output lighting was to able the light to penetrate the lengthy height fot this setup. Theme i had i mind was to mimick the lush subtropical growth of the Brazilian jungles and also to have that certain "Eden" touch with a luscious high altitude waterfall along with it.

Due to the scarcity and difficulty of sourcing corkbarks, i've opted for the rocky foam backgrounds which surprisingly in turn highlights more of the plants' textures and colours due to its dark colours.

Below is an overall pic of it. Filtration is by a sponge filter equipped by a powerhead which powers up the waterfall.

An inviting waterfall through the walls of foliage. .......

Hope ya guys enjoy the pics n welcome any comments or feedback to this setup.

Best Regards,
Phillip.
Wild Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
fuse

hey need i say more, this setup is extremely pleasing to the eye!!! nice!!!
btw bro the bromeliad when u transplanted, did u trim the side leaves??? cos if not they will be crumpled right?

me got stressed out then just dumped my books and revamped the tank uncle mike jus returned me, wanted to add the bromeliad but it was way too big for a 1footer tank.
will post pics later

cheers

Last edited by fuse; 08-04-2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:07 PM   #3
Wild Ginger
Dragon

Hey ya Alex, yes, i did trimmed e leaves fr e side so as not to be crumpled by e door. Btw, juz a sidenote, if ya guys planning to have a heavy door, use "MaxBond" to adhere it.

Regards,
Phillip.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:16 PM   #4
Wild Ginger
Dragon

Can't wait to see e revamped vivarium of urs yea!! Hope it turns out well fr e bromeliad tho.

Regards,
Phillip.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:21 PM   #5
Lobsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Ginger
Hey ya Alex, yes, i did trimmed e leaves fr e side so as not to be crumpled by e door. Btw, juz a sidenote, if ya guys planning to have a heavy door, use "MaxBond" to adhere it.

Regards,
Phillip.
Any way to break the flow of the water? Looks kinda funny having water squirting out.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:32 PM   #6
Wild Ginger
Dragon

Yes ya can opt to have terraces of pools of water at intermediate levels after the initial output to break e water flow. But mainly in this design, i left it like dat to give e waterfall a simple straight flow as e clusters of plants ard it r already very flamboyant, so i just balanced it off wif something minimal in e course of e entire height of the falls. If i were to add terraces of pools, the eyes doesn't seem to have a visual main focal point n that distracts the overall view hence the whole setup.

Regards,
Phillip.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:34 PM   #7
Wild Ginger
Dragon

The waterfall's presence is somewhat subdue due to the structure of the plants surrounding it. It's meant to be simple but yet have dat strong character in it wif its fast downward gushing.

Regards,
Phillip.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:38 PM   #8
Lobsterman

Quote:
Yes ya can opt to have terraces of pools of water at intermediate levels after the initial output to break e water flow. But mainly in this design, i left it like dat to give e waterfall a simple straight flow as e clusters of plants ard it r already very flamboyant, so i just balanced it off wif something minimal in e course of e entire height of the falls. If i were to add terraces of pools, the eyes doesn't seem to have a visual main focal point n that distracts the overall view hence the whole setup.

Regards,
Phillip.
Haha, maybe erm if the water output is a little compressed instead of being cylindrical... may look better. But it is a nice setup I must say.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:43 PM   #9
Wild Ginger
Dragon

Alrite will take note of dat Steven. But hey thanks for e review man. Appreciate it a lot.

Regards,
Phillip.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #10
Lobsterman

Quote:
Alrite will take note of dat Steven. But hey thanks for e review man. Appreciate it a lot.

Regards,
Phillip.
No lah Philip, dun say until like that... My personal opinion only... You guys really make me feel like going back into amphibians...