Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 12-04-2005, 02:27 AM   #1
kenboy08

Default AquaNature Setup. ( My first)

Hi bros, finally set up my first planted tank.
ADA Africana and JBL fert, Co2 and 55 watt light all from AquaNature.
After many weeks of planning and research, managed to come up with this koyak set up.

Hope bros can give ideas and tips on how to further beautify this tank.
And will the hairgrass(?) spread to cover the whole base? ( Which is what I want?)

Thanks a lot in advance and also to bro Nguy. DO I need the liquid fert??
Cheers
Old 12-04-2005, 02:50 AM   #2
andrewtyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenboy08
Hi bros, finally set up my first planted tank.
ADA Africana and JBL fert, Co2 and 55 watt light all from AquaNature.
After many weeks of planning and research, managed to come up with this koyak set up.

Hope bros can give ideas and tips on how to further beautify this tank.
And will the hairgrass(?) spread to cover the whole base? ( Which is what I want?)

Thanks a lot in advance and also to bro Nguy. DO I need the liquid fert??
Cheers
I suggest you get a rack first. A fully setup tank is not exactly something you will love to carry up or down.

Hmm, I think the rocks kinda take up too much space and there isn anything special about them that gives a viewer wanting. Maybe you have your ideas, cus I know if you wanna do hairgrass, layered brown rock looks very contrasting with them. IMO, it's better to take away the black tape on the top, it diminishes viewing area, cutting view off unnaturally.

I see that you have invested well into this hobby. So I won't say it's koyak or anything lower. It will be worthwhile to do more interesting, or should I say, more expensive?..(haha)..plants.

If I wanna do hairgrass, I'd take away the plants behind, and everything will be much neater, which is what I am looking for if I want to do hairgrass. Then your rocks will glow as the center piece.

I help Nguy to answer - The liquid fert contains trace elements such as Fe trace and other minerals that your plant needs just as much as the other fert. Because you have strong light and your plants aren exactly demanding plants, there is a risk of algae growing atop of your rock. Potassium should be able to help you cope with that, if I am not wrong.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:17 AM   #3
ZhiQiang

not bad for a 1st timer...

but the two big stones looks too big for your tank...
Old 12-04-2005, 03:36 AM   #4
dkk08
Arofanatic

nice looking tank, and I agree with the stones... maybe 1 stone wld be enough
dkk08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:42 AM   #5
kenboy08

Thanks bro, will rescape once I get more ideas.
Ageee that the stones do not give a good focus too, will get some DW with moss or riccia.
Thanks a lot bro, that's why I like this planted forum, lots of good honest and genuine comments.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:55 AM   #6
Nickel01

Can I ask what sand is used at the bottom of the tank ? How much $/kg is lfs
selling and in what packet size they selling ?

I am considering this type of sand versus the 'US sand' (those about 1-2mm size with light brown and dark brown type cost about $20 per 22kg)

thanks for sharing.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:03 AM   #7
kenboy08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel01
Can I ask what sand is used at the bottom of the tank ? How much $/kg is lfs
selling and in what packet size they selling ?

I am considering this type of sand versus the 'US sand' (those about 1-2mm size with light brown and dark brown type cost about $20 per 22kg)

thanks for sharing.
I think it's a 9litre pack of ADA Sand, cost around 3o plus if I remember correctly. The one you're referring to is probably lapis(?) sand.
But this kind of gravel seeems to be highly recommended as it is able to absorb nutrients and provide a rich base for plants.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:24 AM   #8
andrewtyr

Yes yes, you are correct. Lapis is very much cheaper than ADA. Good or not, I will leave it to others to comment but I jumped straight into ADA amazonia and so far, I am very very happy with the results. It keeps the pH down to 6 which is what planted tanks need to thrive.It also has an organic feel, and although its gravel diameter is slighter larger, it allows aeration and this allows plants to grow well.

Pardon me to say, but your ADA Africana will be melt into mud in the later stages. This is testified by many, including Gratiola.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:43 AM   #9
aCe^bOwleRz

Hi Ken,

To make the rock look a bit smaller, perhaps you can use some moss to cover it barely. It would somehow give it a more natural look.

If your tank is going to be placed on the floor, the present substrate is good.
But if your going to put it on a stand/cabinet, I suggest you slope the substrate a bit: Thinner layer of ADA at the front section and Thicker layer of ADA at the back of the tank.

For the hairgrass to cover like a lawn, you need to plant them individually (3-5 "hairs" - My preference ) and plant them 2-3cm apart. Maybe you wish to add more hairgrass to grow the lawn faster
Old 12-04-2005, 10:37 AM   #10
simcb

Same here not to discourage current africana users,

I has been using ADA africana and amazonia for quite some time. I can help to notice the africana are breaking down......however amazonia still maintains its form. Currently worried when will i need to top up......the next time i top up will either be Lapis as surface layer or amazonia.

Seems that africana are less resistance to oxidation.....then amaziona....just for fun...i took samples of both soil and nuke with a tiny amount of Hydrogen peroxide.....to my surprise africana slowly breaks into small pieces after 3 days while amaziona maintain its form although there is some bubbling.