Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 20-06-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
tubbmix
Arofanatic

Default arrow to set up marine tank

i just dot arrow to set up a 4ftx2ftxht2ft marine fish tank in the office pls help me to kick off the project
question:do i need a sump
:what items do i need to start off

ps i am lost on marine tanks all help need ..........thanks for all reply
tubbmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
KaLiB

Welcome, to get you started, you can readup deep_end's article here to get an overall understanding of the marine hobby and start off from there. I can't type everything here as it would be too lengthy. The equipments you need would be listed in his guide.

What sort of budget do you have? A sump is advisable IMO but it would raise overall cost by a fair bit. The sump,return pump and the piping could raise the overall cost by easily another $250 or more depending on what sort of pump and piping is used.

Just to give you an idea, setting up of just a 4x2x2 without sump, could be around $1500-$2000. For my old 4x2x2(pics in gallery), the entire setup costs around $2000+ for everything.

Feel free to post here and ask if you got any further questions.
Old 20-06-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
tubbmix
Arofanatic

Default tank

hi bro got a nice tank was wondering why ur slump tank has nothing in it and btw do u need a chiller for ur 4ft tank my butget is abt 2k give and take....thks
tubbmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
KaLiB

A sump is basically just another tank below your maintank, we can pretty much do what we want with it. Examples of the more common uses: Keep equipment in there, setup a macroalgae refugium, use it for filtration etc..

For my old tank, i just placed my skimmer, filter comparment in there. I wanted to incorporate a macroalgae refugium but dropped the idea later on.

I didn't use a chiller in my old tank as the temperature was not very high. My focus was not in a full reef tank so i didn't opt for a chiller.

Given the budget, just a maintank would be better as compare to having a sump. $2k plus minus is quite tight if you decide to incorporate a sump once you consider the cost of everything.

Is there any requirement for you to meet with regards to the setup? Like they want a reef setup or fishes would do? If theres no restriction, I would advise going for fish with liverocks as you should be able to do without a chiller for such a setup. A chiller is most probably going to cause you to overshoot the budget.