Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 15-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
sunlight

Default Natural Sea Water

Hi i take out a pail of seawater & add a bag of natural seawater once a mth for my 2ft tank,is it gd enought?All i hv in my tank is only live rock & some small fishes.Is running on a prism skimmer,T5 Lighting & a hanging outside aquarclear fillter.I didnt put any trance eliment or any additive is it gd enought.Is 3MTH old now fishes are all ok.tks!
Old 15-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
KaLiB

Its hard to say whether its good enough or not, the only way for us to determine if its good enough is to use testkits(I would suggest Salifert, their rather accurate and have a wide range). It goes for the same for additives, blindly dosing additives can cause the water parameters to go haywire.

Different systems can behave very differently, what works for me may not work for yours and vice versa.

For a start, observe these parameters:
- pH
- kH
- Calcium
Do watch these 3parameters as they are the more likely ones to change. Dose only what you need, sometimes you may not need to dose anything.

Dosage of trace elements, IMO, is more of a personal preference than a must or must not case. It may not be possible to test for these elements and we don't know if we end up overdosing or not.

How much water is being changed per month? The information provided is rather vague. Good enough or not, i guess everyone would have his/her point of view.

IMO, its best to observe the state of the system on a whole,like how healthy are your fishes and nitrate levels in the system. As mentioned earlier, what works for me may not work for you. There are different water change regimes, once a week, once per 2weeks, once a month, once a year even. For me, i change once a month as i have a very low bioload in my tank.