Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
trevally
Dragon

Default will PRL genes get weaken by so many inbreeding ?

Used to read up on guppies genetics and how some breeders maintain a few lines just to perfect one competition line and to strengthen its genetics. Is it the same for PRL ? Since PRL is derived from the original bee shrimp with many generations of inbreeding, will its genes get weaken over time ? I mean will it come to a day when the offspring looses its whiteness / redness and survival rate is low. Could we cross one breeder's PRL (eg HKT) with another breeder's PRL (NSK) to strengthen the PRL genes ? Will the offspring still be PRL ?

Many questions popping in my mind cos thinking of going into PRL in the future.
trevally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
vannel

In my opinion, there is no such thing as PRL genes. PRLs are merely a higher grade of CRS that have been line bred to show optimal coloration and has become free of the "golden" gene, amongst other things.

That said, continually inbreeding shrimps will cause the shrimps to weaken and you will start to see weaker shrimps that cannot tolerate minor water issues, shrimps with balloon heads, deformities, etc etc. What should be done is for breeders to enhance their, e.g. HKT PRL with another person's HKT PRL or maintain 2 tanks of HKT PRL separately and after a few generations, breed them with each other to expand the gene pool. This is called line breeding.

Breeding a HKT PRL against another lineage of PRL could also work. I'm sure a lot of bros here have already done various mashups to achieve what they deem as optimal traits from both sides.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
vannel

Forgot to add that the above is merely based on my little knowledge of shrimps and genetics. I might be totally off course and be talking nonsense.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
trevally
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannel View Post
In my opinion, there is no such thing as PRL genes. PRLs are merely a higher grade of CRS that have been line bred to show optimal coloration and has become free of the "golden" gene, amongst other things.

That said, continually inbreeding shrimps will cause the shrimps to weaken and you will start to see weaker shrimps that cannot tolerate minor water issues, shrimps with balloon heads, deformities, etc etc. What should be done is for breeders to enhance their, e.g. HKT PRL with another person's HKT PRL or maintain 2 tanks of HKT PRL separately and after a few generations, breed them with each other to expand the gene pool. This is called line breeding.

Breeding a HKT PRL against another lineage of PRL could also work. I'm sure a lot of bros here have already done various mashups to achieve what they deem as optimal traits from both sides.

Thanks for the enlightenment bro.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
vannel

No problem bro. Glad to be able to help. Good luck with your PRLs!

Old 06-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
Dcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevally View Post
Used to read up on guppies genetics and how some breeders maintain a few lines just to perfect one competition line and to strengthen its genetics. Is it the same for PRL ? Since PRL is derived from the original bee shrimp with many generations of inbreeding, will its genes get weaken over time ? I mean will it come to a day when the offspring looses its whiteness / redness and survival rate is low. Could we cross one breeder's PRL (eg HKT) with another breeder's PRL (NSK) to strengthen the PRL genes ? Will the offspring still be PRL ?

Many questions popping in my mind cos thinking of going into PRL in the future.
PRL, as we know is called Pure Red Line.
And from there we derive NSK, HKT Lines as you mentioned above
Usually people recognise this when a certain trait(redness/ whiteness/ shell thickness etc) has been focused upon to the extent that people recognises their effort with clear quality traits, and are able to distinguish where does a particular PRL possibly come from, visually.
From the above, I guess the offspring you mention would be considered a mix from 2 PRL than a straight forward conventional Pure Red Line.

Regarding the genes, I believe your questions are your answers, as well as what bro Vannel mentioned.

I am a newbie on these too, but hopefully what i write makes sense, haha =)
Old 06-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
cheetf
Dragon

One quite obvious thing is size. A few years ago you could find a CRS as big as a large Yamato. Nowadays, not so easy to find anymore.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Navanod
Arofanatic

And with the reduction of size, comes the reduction of egg numbers and breeding capacity.
Navanod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
trevally
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
One quite obvious thing is size. A few years ago you could find a CRS as big as a large Yamato. Nowadays, not so easy to find anymore.
This I agree. Nowadays the crs are getting smaller.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
oscar77
Dragon

Well said in sharing knowledge. I am not shrimp keeper by the way. But agree inbreeding will stablised certain trait what you wish, ie rednesh or white-ness in shrimp for example. The trade off is the genes become weaker. To a certain stage, breeder have to outcross within the same line.

Kudos to those sharing, refreshing with some technical knowledge exchanging from the majority of vision pleasures. Some time vege is very nice when too much eating of abalone. And is healthier. (For health and for Forum)
oscar77 is offline   Reply With Quote