Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 30-08-2005, 12:25 AM   #21
el993

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrC
Hi,

I intend to set up a 4ft partition tank along my living room. However it is of rectangular shape (10x3m) and I don't think there's any beam running across the living room (I haven't collect keys). Can I still set up the partition tank or must I place it against the wall? I have attached a schematic for understanding.

My understanding is that tanks HDB allows without any permit refers to those placed against a wall. I have seen people knock down partial walls to accommodate a tank, pardon my ignorance but in this case won't the upper floors be pressing down on the tank? Even though the tank itself is resting on the walls below....

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
The wall along 2 rect columns should has beam supported precast slabs. if you rotate the tank by 90deg should distribute loading onto the beam, however since your tank location is at the mid point of the beam where stress is very high. The beam may crack due to heavy loading, so chance for getting approval is lesser. Try to move the tank closer to the column will help.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:47 AM   #22
el993

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrC
Thanks for the advice, I have moved the tank 2 ft closer to that beam, it's abt 4ft+ away, hope can. Anyway it's a 4ft tank shld be ok right?
4' tank is ok, if 4'x2'x2' then reduce water height for approval. Submission is good at least you are protected from fine and claim if any structural member failed. It will be a nightmare to pay 100% for structural rectification and legal fees.

FYI. not only HDB flat but all buildings including factories and land property, as long as equipment and bulky machines exceed the structural design permissible loading, must seek for approval before allocation otherwise nightmare could happen... no joke.