Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #151
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampala View Post
Bro fish amazon, do you know the latin name for the kejor? This is not tengas... The belly was yellow.
I have one specimen.
I'm not sure about common names on Kejor. I do know that the way to identifying tengas from mahseers is from the lower loop of the mouth. You may refer to the previous pics by sebarau - it's pretty straight forward enough.

Old 14-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #152
redtrade

Hi all....

I have an open pond, home to a few kelahs (reeds, blue and golden 4"-1') .... need advice on how often do i change the water.

Is there anyone that can help with the "care guide for Kelah/mahseer)?

Thanks...

Old 14-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #153
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrade View Post
Hi all....

I have an open pond, home to a few kelahs (reeds, blue and golden 4"-1') .... need advice on how often do i change the water.

Is there anyone that can help with the "care guide for Kelah/mahseer)?

Thanks...
sorry bro, a lot of variables, mebbe u can fill us in :
pond dimensions & yr filtration set up?
what part of day is sun shining on it?
any shade or floating plants?
exact numbers of fish? only kelahs?
what type of feed given & how often is feedings?
Old 14-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #154
FishyAmazon

Taking care of mahseer for me is the usual process. Just ensure water parameters are right (e.g. PH 6.5 to 7, Nitrite and Nitrate) and do weekly water change.

Sometime i miss a week of wc but it's fine. The indicator for me is by looking at their fins, wherever you see some red blood veins (high nitrate) that means it's time to change water.

Old 14-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #155
aro_craze
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampala View Post
Bro fish amazon, do you know the latin name for the kejor? This is not tengas... The belly was yellow.
I have one specimen.

the kelah look like a crossback aro sia...
Old 14-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #156
redtrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong88 View Post
sorry bro, a lot of variables, mebbe u can fill us in :
pond dimensions & yr filtration set up?
what part of day is sun shining on it?
any shade or floating plants?
exact numbers of fish? only kelahs?
what type of feed given & how often is feedings?
my pond is abt 14 by 7 feet... yes I have a filtration set up.. just the normal kind, the green mats, some corals. 3 layers of filtering
the whole pond has the sun shining on to it, i have a some floating plants inside (was advised this will absorb the nitrate)
fish number... i dont really know exactly now... i keep adding in i got a foot long plus blue, 2 one foot long reds (thats what the shop told me) 4 X 8" thai blue, 4x 6" golden and abt 50 - 70 reds ranging from 4" - 8"
a few lampam cermin, a few red tail jelawat,
feed i give the ornamental fish food (red color small pellets- was recommended by the shop to enhance the color) and i add growth pellets as well, feed twice a day.. morning after sending my kid to school and later at night

I have made the pump give out flow streaming water coz found out that the fishes like to go agaist the stream.. they really do. They line up and play in the streaming flow

If any of you guys can advice me more on how to maintain a good environment for my pride and joy.. please do advise... i am quite a new kelah fan....

Old 14-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #157
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrade View Post
my pond is abt 14 by 7 feet... yes I have a filtration set up.. just the normal kind, the green mats, some corals. 3 layers of filtering
the whole pond has the sun shining on to it, i have a some floating plants inside (was advised this will absorb the nitrate)
fish number... i dont really know exactly now... i keep adding in i got a foot long plus blue, 2 one foot long reds (thats what the shop told me) 4 X 8" thai blue, 4x 6" golden and abt 50 - 70 reds ranging from 4" - 8"
a few lampam cermin, a few red tail jelawat,
feed i give the ornamental fish food (red color small pellets- was recommended by the shop to enhance the color) and i add growth pellets as well, feed twice a day.. morning after sending my kid to school and later at night

I have made the pump give out flow streaming water coz found out that the fishes like to go agaist the stream.. they really do. They line up and play in the streaming flow

If any of you guys can advice me more on how to maintain a good environment for my pride and joy.. please do advise... i am quite a new kelah fan....
how big is yr filter compartment volume? wrt yr pond volume?
1. saki hikari colour plellet : good for color & also decreased nitrogen load on filter. suggest u use this as yr headcount quite high.
2. can add in Momotaro bacteria house or Seachem matrix pond media
Old 14-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #158
moscowblue
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyAmazon View Post
I'm not sure about common names on Kejor. I do know that the way to identifying tengas from mahseers is from the lower loop of the mouth. You may refer to the previous pics by sebarau - it's pretty straight forward enough.
yes, one is sharper snout, the other is rounder, fuller snout
Old 15-04-2009, 12:12 AM   #159
redtrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong88 View Post
how big is yr filter compartment volume? wrt yr pond volume?
1. saki hikari colour plellet : good for color & also decreased nitrogen load on filter. suggest u use this as yr headcount quite high.
2. can add in Momotaro bacteria house or Seachem matrix pond media
can you suggest me where i can get item you mention in item 2?

Closed Thread