Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 20-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #61
titan power
Endangered Dragon

A great thread for newbie like me
titan power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #62
satan_gal
Dragon

Which after all it ends, bring us back to sq one

The breeder.

Every breeder might have in mind what a "perfect" BD would look, and try to breed as closely to their idea of perfection as possible.

Bearing in mind most rays as pups will develop and might have change in markings as they grow, I would say, a "BD" pup might not develop into a BD, external factors aside.

Even WC rays, u can't b sure, till they are of a Gd size and maturity. Who's to say pups might not have runts?

I personally think, as a buyer who would b paying 10k per ray at least, I would prefer to talk to the breeder and understand his objective. I seriously will b quite turned off if a breeder has no inclination on what he's breeding, or the parentage of the rays!

In fact I do think the upcoming ray competition may be a Gd starting ground to have a feel of how parentage might affect their offsprings, and mayharp start a pedigree chart or some interfarm breeding project to expand our local breeding stock?

Which I must say, This thread has thrown plenty of light on the various breeders school of thought in a very positive way. Keep up the Gd work, and keep the rays breeding!
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #63
Sucsid ph
Arofanatic

Default very imformative!

bro uluaking thanks for sharing. very imformative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uluaking View Post
Hi all, given my limited experience on Black diamond P13... Will try to share with fellow brothers/sisters on how to identiify PDR/Grading of Black Diamonds

Here are the following on how i grade these rays.....

1. Spots should be white even when young pups....

It is always encouraged to buy rays when they are conditioned. Conditioned means stable when stable down the pups will enhance its base color and spots. For PDR/Black Diamond, the spots MUST be white in color. 6 inches and above pups are deemed white spotted. Should not be any yellowish spot throught the whole body.

2. Spots rows from centre to skirt....

PDR have at most 4 rows of spots being identified as high grade of PDR. Some have 5th row spots but minimal can be see. 321 pdr are termed 3 rows of spots only. Below pic illustrated on how to see how many rows of spots from a ray. For a black diamond, 5th row and 6th row can be seen visibily well. 6th row of spots for BD will be one grade higher. But Big spotted BD most of the time has full 5 rows spots also term high grade bd like this pic.

3. Skirt spots

For BD, skirt spots should be continuous with minimum break off point. Some BD have 2 rows of skirt spots thus being termed 6th row. PDR do not have skirt spots at all.

4. Spots in Eye

For BD, Most of the BD have spots in eyes..... the more spot the better to enhance the blue lens effect thus many brothers here termed blue eyes... But i do notice some BD eye dont have that much spot in the eye. So termed as another grading on BD. As for PDR, some have and some dont have as well.

5. Spots around eye....

For BD, Spots surounding the eyes should be as much as possible..... so when they grow bigger .... the whole eye portion is white with spots.. PDR do have such features as well.

6. Thorns on the tail....

According to Taiwan identification from what i learn.... 3 rows of thorns should be situated on the tails.....

7. Flag shaped and short tail....

When BD/PDR are young, their tails should be relatively shorter than the body. One look give u an impression of short tail feeling kinda identification. No exact lenght is being documented. PDR/BD alll have FLAG tail.....

8. Under belly spotting ....

Some BD have underbelly spotting.... the more the merrier... termed graded as another higher grade catergory. Some BD dont have. PDR most of them dont have .... only high grade PDR will have such spots prominent when they grow bigger...

9. BD grading ..

BD have Thousand Island BD, Big spotted BD, Eclispe BD ...... if any BD comprising all or any 2 of these are of course a much higher grade compared to normal BD ...... so if u have possession of a bd that has all 3 mentioned.... that is a priceless piece ..... like the pic attached ..... the piece had 2 of the above mentioned category. PDR is being grade as such too but spot sure definitely be lesser

Enjoy Ray keeping bros/sis...
Sucsid ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #64
uluaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucsid ph View Post
bro uluaking thanks for sharing. very imformative.
Thanks dude....
Old 25-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #65
williamt
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Thanks dude....
so can tell me which piece in all my showcase is not BD leh??
williamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #66
uluaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamt View Post
so can tell me which piece in all my showcase is not BD leh??
walau boss .... your ones no need to check le.... all high end BD .. except your RG loh ....
Old 26-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #67
williamt
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap99 View Post
Hi all bro this pup is what I produce recently and both parent are of wild caught BD and this is not the first batch of pup they produce only this one came out like that so what's your say dear bros in AF,... Even I did not tot I can have such pup

Oh btw this pup is with bro williamt sorry to use this pic only for info niar cheers
so can you comment on this piece potential? Personally I like this piecea lot and has been giving special attention maybe because it's still small
williamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #68
ap99
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamt View Post
so can you comment on this piece potential? Personally I like this piecea lot and has been giving special attention maybe because it's still small
Ha I also don't know how she will turn out but to me it's a special collectors piece
If you don't like her went she grow up liao remember to sell me ar

Thanks in advance hehehe

Last edited by ap99; 26-07-2011 at 02:32 PM.
ap99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #69
ling chin seng
Arofanatic

Many thks for sharing the infromation on classification of BD ray.
ling chin seng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #70
hengyi86

Quote:
Aiya we are discussing here no need to feel sorry and no offence though with any person at all.

I do agree that some hybrids are really fantastic or even better than the pure breed. Unless your mindset is on getting very tok gong hybrids, of course can go ahead with what u see is what u like and wanna buy thus dun care pure or not pure... Example of a BD hybrid...

Like this piece of hybrid.... super solid BD genes in it.... even better than most of the BD in the market.... so if the buyer is being told Hybrid and mindset is there that it is a hybrid. It is fine.... But if the buyer is being told pure BD and mindset is already BD mindset..... the feeling is different...
Quote:
Originally Posted by azon View Post
This pcs got no BD gene at all.. the broker claim to have BD gene just to inflate the price..

Just like this 2pcs, the breeder house don't even have a single pcs BD or P14 btw old pics la..
Quote:
you know best bro Thai king ..... that is why honest breeder is very important.. but i must admit super nice hybrids lor...

ehh uluaking say got bd genes. Looks like he knows the ray's parents
azon say no bd genes. How he know?
so uluaking didnt disagree or did i got lost????