Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Closed Thread

Old 15-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #161
babun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyAmazon View Post
I dont think Garing = Tengas from what i have seen. Tengas have a short lower loop (over-laping uppper lip) but Garing doesnt have that identity.

Thanks for the ketapang info. It's the same understanding here, in fact same for any popular fish like arowana.

The kelantan species is available here in most LFS. Only the trengganu ones are rare, even rarer are the ultimate kenyir dam ones. I've got some from Kelantan to Trengganu and some black tail kelahs too. I would say they are confusing for the average fish keeper to tell them apart cause the labelling were wrong in many LFS (e.g. black tail kelah label as red kelah, tengas label as red hampala barb).

hello fishy amazon..
nice to hear that.most people know tengas and not all know kejor.. many 'tauke' sell kejor as malaysian blue kelah and for addition tengas itself hav various colour such as green, and red also..these tauke give wrong information and not all info from internet is true.listening to their stories will not justify the fish, i rather experience it myself from my fishing trips..kenyir reds not so rare here, if so rare im not selling them lah..
the species that is near extinction is at pasir raja..my brother hav 2 of them..hopefully i can post the pics soon about this pasir raja ones...

Old 17-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #162
nivek
Arofanatic

Default Red Hampala

Hi experts,

Can check whether red hampala is the same as red kelah?

I saw at qian hu, they wrote red hampala about $200 per piece and I was wondering is it red kelah.

Any comments?

Thanks.

Last edited by nivek; 17-08-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 17-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #163
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek View Post
Hi experts,

I saw at qian hu, they wrote red hampala about $200 per piece and I was wondering is it red kelah.

Any comments?

Thanks.
IMHO its not worth a buy. I got a similar piece from seaview and its not a Kelah. Its a Tengas based on the mouth shape with over-lapping top lip. Painful when i realize that it's not.

The tengas in QH have red finnage and goldish body and look very much like a kelah but the mouth shape gave it away.

Old 17-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #164
babun

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek View Post
Hi experts,

Any comments?

Thanks.
is this what u mean?
this is sebarau, not even kelah species..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sebarau.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	238652  

Old 18-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #165
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by babun View Post
is this what u mean?
this is sebarau, not even kelah species..
Nope, its not this fish. I know what is a sebarau - with the distinct black patch. The 'Kelah' that nivek talked about is at a farm that i've seen it before. I bought a similar piece at other place that labelled it exactly the same, which i have reasons to believe now the label is wrong.

Old 18-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #166
sepp
Dragon

Got this piece as a blue kelah...being a totally noob in kelahs, perhaps anyone can verify its ID? it is around 9 inches.

Old 18-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #167
Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepp View Post
Got this piece as a blue kelah...being a totally noob in kelahs, perhaps anyone can verify its ID? it is around 9 inches.

Don't look like a blue to me.

Old 18-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #168
sepp
Dragon

all the fins have a light blueish color on it...but probably undetectable in the pic as my tank is lit by red lights...

how about the shape and profile of this piece? any resemblance at all?

thanks bro, for the guidance.
Closed Thread