Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 02-11-2005, 11:08 PM   #1
macross

Default Qns on CO2 Solenoid, Regulator etc

Hi Bros,

need some advise on the difference on:

solenoid, e-solenoid
manual regulator, e-regulator
needle valve
splitter

My question is, if I get a CO2 tank for my 2.5ft tank, how do I decide what to choose for the above? Like very confusing leh....

Got any article I can read up if it is too long to write or not?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2005, 01:09 AM   #2
Limsteel
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by macross
Hi Bros,

need some advise on the difference on:

solenoid, e-solenoid
manual regulator, e-regulator
needle valve
splitter

My question is, if I get a CO2 tank for my 2.5ft tank, how do I decide what to choose for the above? Like very confusing leh....

Got any article I can read up if it is too long to write or not?

Thanks
Forget about your version, I also confused... here my version...
Main tank for CO2 - can be any size from 1 ltr to 10L. typical size 3ltr or 5ltr. pressure about 1000psi

Regulator 2 type -
manual (you have to manually turn it on (and adjust desire flowrate) and off everyday without fail. Unless you wanna to inject CO2 24/7) or
solenoid (it is an Electrically activated regulator, it needs a timer to switch it on. All you need is to adjust the desire CO2 flowrate and the proper timing e.g light-on period. No intervention needed until main CO2 tank runs out.) So reccomended you get a timer to run this or LPPL manually on/off power daily. might as well get manual

needle valve are built-in... manual regulator is a needle valve controlling the flowrate. but difficult to get the desire flowrate as this needle is controlling 1000psi of pressure.
Solenoid already got it built in. as the solenoid is not strong enough to hold back 1000psi pressure so there is a pressure reduction valve. reduce the pressure to about 50psi. So Solenoid always have 2 guage ONE main tank pressure the other operational pressure. the needle valve here is much more precise can control bubble rate to your deepest desire! So individual Needle valve is not needed unless you got special project (supply 2 or more tanks manually).

Spliter allows you to have more than 1 CO2 outlet, comes with 2 - maybe 5 (5 is the most I've seen) outlets . It is use to supply CO2 to 2 or more tanks. OR you got a very large tank where single point injection is not sufficient to effectively supply CO2 to the whole tank.

Buy the tank 5Ltr last longer (that's a no brainer, also refilling 3ltr and 5ltr cost the same!) then decide:
budget over convenience? - Manual ~$25 but need to manual turn on/off daily

Convenience over Budget - Solenoid ~$100 + timer switch ~$15, adjust ONE time and let it be until CO2 runs dry...

What's your call?

Last edited by Limsteel; 03-11-2005 at 01:22 AM.
Limsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
jc85

I'll juz like to hop on for some estimated costing question.

Anyone can recommend a decent (reasonable priced & effective) brand & its cost;
- Regulator with Solenoid
- Bubble counter
- C02 Reactor
- 5litre CO2 tank

Thanks
JC
Old 24-11-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
SGRay

where to get a decent economical set?
Old 24-11-2005, 07:31 PM   #5
heavenhell

I got mine from NA, price quite reasonable. The co2 tank is 1 to 1 exchange for refill. They even got 10l ones and the difference between 5l and 10l refill is very small.
Old 25-11-2005, 09:00 AM   #6
el993

Hi bros, how high is the chance of failure of solenoid?
I saw an article in Arowana thread mentioned solenoid broke and uncontrolled CO2 bursted into the tank almost causing all aros dead.

I plan to get one but worry about this issue.
Old 25-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #7
heavenhell

How was that possible? Without power, the valve is closed hence no co2 unless the opening of the valve got stuck that result in the continuous co2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el993
Hi bros, how high is the chance of failure of solenoid?
I saw an article in Arowana thread mentioned solenoid broke and uncontrolled CO2 bursted into the tank almost causing all aros dead.

I plan to get one but worry about this issue.
Old 25-11-2005, 01:22 PM   #8
el993

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenhell
How was that possible? Without power, the valve is closed hence no co2 unless the opening of the valve got stuck that result in the continuous co2.
Thanks bro hevenhell,

I can't find the previous thread, I remember the bro mentioned all aros were grasping for air, mouth fully opened and almost die. He noticed big bubbles CO2 flushing into the tank, probably the needle valve broke.

I am using manual type, very troublesome and difficult to adjust precisely. Hope my misunderstandings be cleared then can get an auto one.