Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 21-04-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
Marcusy

Default PL lighting

currently my tank lighting is those pink tube type though of changing to PL lighting .mine tank is 3ft than. how many watt of PL light should i get and how many tube in one casing ?.in my tank just few planted plants neon tetra and shrimps in it ... can the guru pls advice . tks
Old 21-04-2005, 09:45 PM   #2
dOlBy

If you want to grow plants of all requirements(from low-high) then you need 144w which is 4 tubes of 36w PL.
Old 22-04-2005, 12:32 AM   #3
Marcusy

me not really in to plant just want the plant to about a mth like that . actuall of thinking of 2 55watt for the tank . wat u think .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dOlBy
If you want to grow plants of all requirements(from low-high) then you need 144w which is 4 tubes of 36w PL.
Old 22-04-2005, 04:05 AM   #4
|ceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusy
me not really in to plant just want the plant to about a mth like that . actuall of thinking of 2 55watt for the tank . wat u think .
You mean the plants will only be there for about a month? After which you
will remove them?

Anyway, 2X55W shld be fine for a basic low-medium tech setup
Old 22-04-2005, 08:49 AM   #5
Marcusy

huh if the plant can last longer then it will be better so far my plant in my present tank and lighting can last for only 1-2 mth .... how much is the pl lighting for 2 55W
Quote:
Originally Posted by |ceberg
You mean the plants will only be there for about a month? After which you
will remove them?

Anyway, 2X55W shld be fine for a basic low-medium tech setup
Old 22-04-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
|ceberg

Quote:
huh if the plant can last longer then it will be better so far my plant in my present tank and lighting can last for only 1-2 mth .... how much is the pl lighting for 2 55W
Think its better you want to do some price comparison in LFS (NA, Gratiola etc)

There are some bros who setup/mod lighting sets here in AF eg. Badman,Barbarik etc
Old 28-04-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
Marcusy

have brought 2 3ft maqnamII PL lighting from 328 at $58 each . it consist of 2 36Watt pl tube and 1000k . is 36 watt enough for plant as i not really into plant just want them to last longer and green normally last time wif those FL lighting the leaves seem turn yellow after a few week and then turn brown .
Quote:
Originally Posted by |ceberg
Think its better you want to do some price comparison in LFS (NA, Gratiola etc)

There are some bros who setup/mod lighting sets here in AF eg. Badman,Barbarik etc
Old 28-04-2005, 11:31 AM   #8
the_r0ck

Quote:
have brought 2 3ft maqnamII PL lighting from 328 at $58 each . it consist of 2 36Watt pl tube and 1000k . is 36 watt enough for plant as i not really into plant just want them to last longer and green normally last time wif those FL lighting the leaves seem turn yellow after a few week and then turn brown .
bro, you may wanna tell us wat plants you have. also, plants do not only thrive under adequate light, they also need co2/nutrients as well.
Old 28-04-2005, 11:34 AM   #9
Marcusy

me also not to sure wat plant i have .. just go to shope see nice i buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck
bro, you may wanna tell us wat plants you have. also, plants do not only thrive under adequate light, they also need co2/nutrients as well.
Old 28-04-2005, 06:45 PM   #10
Sleepy_lancs

Marcusy,

Strive to have uniform light throughout your tank. It is of no use if your lights are saturated in the centre if plants that requires high lights are not planted there. If you meant that you have 2 sets of 2 x 36 watts tubes, that should be quite sufficient unless the reflectors are crap. Take note on your nutrients dosing (CO2, NO3, PO4, etc)