Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 17-06-2018, 09:45 PM   #1
dr_nuker

Default Missing silver Aro

Hello everyone, i'm new in this forum, just registered. I'd like to share what happened to me with my aro. I had a little silver arowana since 2 weeks, i was keeping it in a tank with 6 discus, 2 couple of ramirezi and a panaque. Everything was going good, she was eating 3 times a day and growing. Yesterday evenning while i was having dinner i have noticed that my aro was not in the tank anymore, she was there few seconds earlier, i realized she could have jumped out of the tank, the tank is a rio 240, it is closed except for the hole in which the cables of the lights and filter goes through... i found her on the gorund, in the dust, behind the tank ( i had to move the furniture... ) 2 o 3 minutes later. she was alive, i put her in the tank and tried to clean her a little. After few minutes i was watching her she started to swim again, very slow but she was alive... i have closed that holes with some scotch tapes, i turned of the light and went to my computer to google some research about injured aros... when after an hour i went back to check on her she was missing, no sign of it... it is passed one day, she is nowhere, there is not so much stuff in the tank, 2 woods , 4 rocks and one anubias and one vallisneria. Is it possibile that she died and the other fish ate her? in just one hour? i am ver very sorry now, i had many project for her. i have just ordered a new tank 2,5x1,5x1 meters.
thanks in advice.
dr_nuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Welcome to af doc

You need to properly cover the tank.

Btw, any aro will outgrow your current tank in no time.

At least, it must be a 422 (4 feet x 2 feet x 2feet).
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 04:30 PM   #3
dr_nuker

Thanks streetsmart. I know it would have otugrow the tank, that was temporary indeed i am waiting for the new tank ( under contruction , about 800 gallons ) . Anyway i can't really understand what happened to my aro AFTER i put it back in the tank... disappeared in 2 hours. (
Old 19-06-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
llewellyn
Dragon

Not possible to be eaten up completely within such a short period of time.
It's carcass is either somewhere outside the tank or hidden inside between your tank decorations...
llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #5
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Thumbs up

Bro doc, take it as part of our learning curve in keeping aro.

Honest, I believe many of us had also experienced many unforgettable & painful incidence in the past.

Chin up doc

Looking forward to your next upload.
Old 19-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #6
dr_nuker

Thanks fot the support... Today i'm going to look for a new Aro. My new tank, that will be ready in a couple of months, will be approximatly 700 gallons. Any suugestion for the tank mates of the aro? i will probably move my apteronotus albifrons and my panaque there. I was thinking about some metynnis and a couple of oascar fish. what do you think?
Old 19-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #7
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_nuker View Post
Thanks fot the support... Today i'm going to look for a new Aro. My new tank, that will be ready in a couple of months, will be approximatly 700 gallons. Any suugestion for the tank mates of the aro? i will probably move my apteronotus albifrons and my panaque there. I was thinking about some metynnis and a couple of oascar fish. what do you think?
wow! That's one huge structure

Good on you. Plenty of space for the fish
Old 20-06-2018, 12:37 PM   #8
diesel
Arofanatic

Maybe you should start looking for the aro after the new tank has been properly cycled and ready for any fish?
diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 11:36 PM   #9
Natureman
Dragon

But it really a puzzle to me where can the silver aro went to! It can't disappear in thin air. If it cannot jump out any more, the dead fish must be still inside the tank. Did you take out all the plants, wood etc to check for fish?
Natureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #10
Dave57

check the tank cover, lights and cable compartment, slots between tank cover? the fish might be stuck there?