Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 14-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
shacklock

Default breaking fish to new food

can't seem a thread to help train fishes to accept other types of food, maybe some old birds here can give some tips and tricks to help out?
Old 14-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
honghonghonghon
Arofanatic

me not old bird,haha. but i know theres the traditional starving and monkey see monkey do method.
honghonghonghon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
shacklock

yah but how long is the safe period for starving them? heartpain ah lets say from the last time they ate anything, how long do we have to starve them for?
Old 15-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
honghonghonghon
Arofanatic

it depends on how big the fish is, the health condition its in, the water condition, and wad kind of fishes it is. usually smaller fishes cant tahan too long, and predatory fishes can tahan longer period of starving, bigger ones can last longer. but this method still has its risks, see who one to gif in first.
honghonghonghon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
Vanquish
Arofanatic

usually i starve my fish and just throw the new food in,
still feed the old food once in awhile so they won't die and mix mp with the new food that i'm gonna give, works at times, others, they just spit out the new food. -_-"
Vanquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 03:52 AM   #6
shacklock

second day of starving, got nibble the pellets abit then the rest spit out at this rate i think i'll give in and let the fish win
Old 17-12-2010, 05:32 AM   #7
ouinonyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shacklock View Post
second day of starving, got nibble the pellets abit then the rest spit out at this rate i think i'll give in and let the fish win
Only second day?
umm, I usually wean my fish by starving them (only in the extreme cases, most of my fish will eat anything (so lucky)) for a period up to 1 week, after that I will feed it its norm diet, and then after 2 days or so repeat the weaning process!! Did this with my rays, aro and arapaima!
Old 19-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #8
googling

the most easiest is if you have greedy fish in your tank that takes pellets.. sure all the tankmates will join him..