Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #61
Spakase

Quote:
I must tell you it looks like a gold bar holding it! You sure no blue for you? Maybe a few of each kind would be great idea too
Tor Putitora would be shiny and golden, based on the pics on the net. I think Tor Putitora is a better buy even though they are smaller sized, in comparison. Regards the blue kelahs at ST96, I was informed new stocks could be coming. I'll reconsider when I see the new ones, but if they look like the two remaining fishes, I don't think I'll take any. As for the reds, the QH seems most promising in spite of the high price. The quality, IMO is most important because this fish is endangered, therefore, may not be so easily available. To have a piece or two outstanding specimens would be a hobbyist's dream.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #62
sebarau
Dragon

I was told by a kelah fan..that the blue kelah that were breed locally here in M'sia will not turn as nice as the one come from Thailand. it is cheaper..but not as nice...as the real one.. I'm still looking for a nice blue specimen..
Old 04-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #63
Spakase

Quote:
Cant wait to have you onboard!
Got already. I have 11 Tor Putitora.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #64
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarau View Post
the humpback maheseer looks very kelah to me.. but the exact species tor tambroides or duronensis, that I cannot tell.
The thing is this. These fishes are identified as Green Kelah, the closes scientific name that fits this description is Tor Musullah (Hindi).

SYNOPSIS:
Tambroides are Red - there is no traces of red or grey at all in this fish
Duronensis - nothing blue too.

CONCLUSION:
At a foot long, this fish has all the physical charteristics of a Kelah (mouth and body size). The fins are white/colourless with a tinge of greenish-blue. The body is silverish - white, extremely shiny due to it's fairness. Side by side comparison with the supposed tenga has a very stark difference in all aspects from colouration to body size/structure.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #65
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
Got already. I have 11 Tor Putitora.
Woah. Dont buy dont buy. One-time buy 11 pieces!
I salute you sir. Please come in more often to send in pics of your shoaling goldies.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #66
sebarau
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyAmazon View Post
The thing is this. These fishes are identified as Green Kelah, the closes scientific name that fits this description is Tor Musullah (Hindi).

SYNOPSIS:
Tambroides are Red - there is no traces of red or grey at all in this fish
Duronensis - nothing blue too.

CONCLUSION:
At a foot long, this fish has all the physical charteristics of a Kelah (mouth and body size). The fins are white/colourless with a tinge of greenish-blue. The body is silverish - white, extremely shiny due to it's fairness. Side by side comparison with the supposed tenga has a very stark difference in all aspects from colouration to body size/structure.
i'm never a fan of other than tambroides..or blue kelah..so I've no idea where the green kelah come from. Some LFS.. do sell tengas daun as kelah hijau as the body structure is almost the same when they small..the only thing ,..tengas daun will stay small only max up to 8" i think..
Old 04-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #67
washywashy
Dragon

Bros, then what about a similar shaped fish but with yellow fins with silver scales similar to those of the kelah? Is it a kelah as well? LFS labelled it as Yellow-fin barb. Probably we could have a collation of pictures of fish that are similar shaped as the kelah to establish a good comparison?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #68
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by washywashy View Post
Bros, then what about a similar shaped fish but with yellow fins with silver scales similar to those of the kelah? Is it a kelah as well? LFS labelled it as Yellow-fin barb. Probably we could have a collation of pictures of fish that are similar shaped as the kelah to establish a good comparison?
You may go online to search. There many directories of photos on barbs.
Yellow-fin barbs are entirely different species. Mahseer would be our subject of discussion to avoid going out of topic.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #69
washywashy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyAmazon View Post
You may go online to search. There many directories of photos on barbs.
Yellow-fin barbs are entirely different species. Mahseer would be our subject of discussion to avoid going out of topic.
Ouh so it is a totally different fish? Hmm.. Looks the same to the untrained eye
Old 04-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #70
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarau View Post
I was told by a kelah fan..that the blue kelah that were breed locally here in M'sia will not turn as nice as the one come from Thailand. it is cheaper..but not as nice...as the real one.. I'm still looking for a nice blue specimen..
I think you are referring to Blue Kelahs in XiangLeng - Sha Alam that sort of blue. That pond would be a dream come true.

Closed Thread