Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 11-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #31
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Those scholars already completed the Science and Maths syllabus in their country and putting them in a class who have not, in this sense I think it's unfair. It's not about individual scoring 10A1s. It's something I'm unsure becoz teacher and principal dun want to talk about it - Scholarship in the school - top 10%. Does this top 10% incluse such FT students though they already have their scholarship.? Also the top to 3rd position usually goes to them. This year TOP scholar from St. Nic also from Malaysia.

Sad to say hard to compete with them in my son's school. The school dun really encourage the weaker students to do better and are often ignored, my son is one of them. The scholars have special "remedial" class for them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
Why unfair ???

I look at it very differently. Studies, results. These things the individual is really competing against himself. Not anyone else. Will ur son get 10 A1s if these scholars were not in the same class ??

I mean, if there's a quota for 10 A1s. And these people deprive ur son because of them being older, having completed syllabus watever, then ok, maybe unfair. But ur son shd take these people as a competitor and endeavour to do as well as, if not better than, them. No ??

Last edited by Guppies Onli; 11-01-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #32
rosle atin
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroc719 View Post
Most expensive equates richest arr??

Hmm... maybe, maybe...
shud be la .... if not richest how to afford expensive singapore .. food and lodging
rosle atin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #33
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppies Onli View Post
Those scholars already completed the Science and Maths syllabus in their country and putting them in a class who have not, in this sense I think it's unfair. It's not about individual scoring 10A1s. It's something I'm unsure becoz teacher and principal dun want to talk about it - Scholarship in the school - top 10%. Does this top 10% incluse such FT students though they already have their scholarship.? Also the top to 3rd position usually goes to them. This year TOP scholar from St. Nic also from Malaysia.
doesn't matter wat ..... at the end of the day, the individual, when he goes out to work, he'll compete with the very best, globally ..... i suppose it is a matter of views ..... but i really am not bothered if my son gets first or tenth in his class ..... there will always be someone smarter out there .... and the earlier he is prepared for this, the better it is for him
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #34
aroc719
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosle atin View Post
shud be la .... if not richest how to afford expensive singapore .. food and lodging
Not bad... Suddenly I think I m quite rich leh...
aroc719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #35
Enoran

Anybody realize that we are having more & more China varieties shows here ...
There is even one discussing about their people born in the 80s.

Where are we heading really?
Old 11-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #36
rosle atin
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroc719 View Post
Not bad... Suddenly I think I m quite rich leh...
yup u said it .... i'm deeply indebted here
rosle atin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #37
Guppies Onli
Dragon

what about scholarship? eg. if w/o them maybe 100 sporean qualify, now maybe 70 onli.

even vacancies in sch also limited due to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
doesn't matter wat ..... at the end of the day, the individual, when he goes out to work, he'll compete with the very best, globally ..... i suppose it is a matter of views ..... but i really am not bothered if my son gets first or tenth in his class ..... there will always be someone smarter out there .... and the earlier he is prepared for this, the better it is for him

Last edited by Guppies Onli; 11-01-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #38
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
what about scholarship? eg. if w/o them maybe 100 sporean qualify, now maybe 70 onli.

these foreigners, when they first arrived in Singapore, they are already on scholarships ..... now if u argue whether we shd actually grant them scholarships to come to Singapore and study, then that's a different issue but if u say by their coming to singapore and studying in the same class as ur son is unfair, then that doesn't make sense to me.
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #39
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:

They competed with their own peers to secure the scholarships to study

If ure kid can't even compete with locals for scholarships.. How?
I was having a conversation with a fren the other day..

Some whine abt no scholarship for locals - but do they even qualify? For some who do, do they even bother to apply, or seek out scholarships?

And if those Chinese kids are out performing the rest, den the scholarship is quite justifiable & deserving, no?
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #40
PKB
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan_gal View Post
They competed with their own peers to secure the scholarships to study

If ure kid can't even compete with locals for scholarships.. How?
I was having a conversation with a fren the other day..

Some whine abt no scholarship for locals - but do they even qualify? For some who do, do they even bother to apply, or seek out scholarships?

And if those Chinese kids are out performing the rest, den the scholarship is quite justifiable & deserving, no?

Just curious, do these Chinese kids becomes Singapore Citizen and serve NS after they get the scholarship and complete their education here? Just finding out, don't zap me.
PKB is offline   Reply With Quote