Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 05-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #121
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Hey JIG! Great ADA set-up! I was also thinking of getting an ADA, the 60-P to be precise but I decided to order an acrylic one with the exact dimensions instead. It's gonna' be chiller run and I intend for it to be entirely moss on wood, like your old bookshelf Sterbai tank. Would I need a lot of light and ferts+CO2? Or would cold water+sufficient light cut it? Thanks!
Hey bro.. thanks for commenting. Do you only do that on Sundays?

Why did you decide to get an acrylic tank instead of a glass one? You technically will not need high lights, ferts or CO2. But if you want lush looking moss, then those can only help and not hurt. Cold water will be beneficial, moss love cold water.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #122
Sunday
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
Hey bro.. thanks for commenting. Do you only do that on Sundays?

Why did you decide to get an acrylic tank instead of a glass one? You technically will not need high lights, ferts or CO2. But if you want lush looking moss, then those can only help and not hurt. Cold water will be beneficial, moss love cold water.
Hahahahaha. No dude! Shall I compliment you tomorrow as well?

Acrylic tanks are better in terms of clarity and to my surprise, cheaper than the 60-P. I'll have to be more careful when handling it though, don't want any unwanted scratches! And IF I'm not wrong, they are better insulators compared to glass so it'll be lighter on the bill when I hook up the chiller, an Arctica 1/10hp. Hmm, my main concern is lights. How many WPG do you think I'll need? Want to achieve the same growth you got on the Sterbai tank!
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #123
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Hahahahaha. No dude! Shall I compliment you tomorrow as well?

Acrylic tanks are better in terms of clarity and to my surprise, cheaper than the 60-P. I'll have to be more careful when handling it though, don't want any unwanted scratches! And IF I'm not wrong, they are better insulators compared to glass so it'll be lighter on the bill when I hook up the chiller, an Arctica 1/10hp. Hmm, my main concern is lights. How many WPG do you think I'll need? Want to achieve the same growth you got on the Sterbai tank!
Heh.. I was just pulling your leg.

Yes, they are better in clarity but the ADA tanks are not far behind. They will also insulate better but I'm predicting it won't be much of a difference because your tank is not big, hence thinner tank walls. Just be very careful with scratches. I'm clumsy enough with ADA, so acrylic is a no-no for me. Haha.

I expect you to get even better moss growth as I did because of your chilled water. I will go for about 24 watts to 36 watts if it's all just moss. Jon-san, what do you think?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #124
OracleNemesis
Arofanatic

Jon-san bro and Isaac bro, here's my set-up...
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=299346
Other photos are in my desktop.
I guess I left too long ago and never left an impression. About 4 years back, Isaac bro helped me for directions to tank chillers and other equips.
I decomm-ed my 3ft effort after many failed attempts of getting the green tint down. The tank finally cracked while I was serving NS and everything has since been sold.
Was considering starting on it again with 1.5ft or a cube tank. Kinda left aquascaping to try Goldfish keeping but your setups are kinda poison infusing.

Gonna start planning and go LFS hop to study the prices of equips all over again. JIC bro's PM would start the ball rolling =)
OracleNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #125
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment. I have a vision of how I want the flora to grow and blend into the hardscape. Hopefully it will turn out well.

Start a nano tank first? Haha.

Bro, for your 4 feet tank, do you have a scape in your mind?
Already have a 1.5ft planted, 2ft GF feeder tank and my 6'8" monster comm to maintain and potentially, the 4ft. You want me to add another Nano, bro?!?! I think my wife will hang me instead, if I even dare to suggest having another setup.

I'm still toying around with ideas at the moment. Saw a few scapes that I'm interested in. Mainly those forest look with many straight tree trunks, creating some depth.. Thinking of Dwarf Hairgrass for foreground, with a bunch or 2 of Blyxa Japonica, some crypts for the color variations and some Eleocharis Vivipara in the background. Also, some mini fiss on the tree trunks and scattered rocks. If you google "Forest Aquascape" and select the images, there should be something like i in the first few pictures. Torn between going all wood or wood and stone hardscape.

Quote:
Heh.. I was just pulling your leg.

Yes, they are better in clarity but the ADA tanks are not far behind. They will also insulate better but I'm predicting it won't be much of a difference because your tank is not big, hence thinner tank walls. Just be very careful with scratches. I'm clumsy enough with ADA, so acrylic is a no-no for me. Haha.

I expect you to get even better moss growth as I did because of your chilled water. I will go for about 24 watts to 36 watts if it's all just moss. Jon-san, what do you think?
Hah, wrong person to ask, bro. I prob have my least success with mosses, whether it's CO2 injected or not, T5 or LED, ferts or no ferts, you get the picture... Lol. But personal opinion, mosses do best in cool water, no arguments there. My mini tank in the office has a bunch of Java Moss I stole off another colleague's tank. No CO2, no ferts, LED clip-on lights on 24/7, 2 endlers, 3 FR shrimp culls, a bunch of ramshorn and a simple air-powered hang-on filter that I DIY-ed. The moss is lush, green and the Nanas are never healthier looking. Key point, I think, is temp constant 22degs coz A/C is on 24/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OracleNemesis View Post
I guess I left too long ago and never left an impression. About 4 years back, Isaac bro helped me for directions to tank chillers and other equips.
I decomm-ed my 3ft effort after many failed attempts of getting the green tint down. The tank finally cracked while I was serving NS and everything has since been sold.
Was considering starting on it again with 1.5ft or a cube tank. Kinda left aquascaping to try Goldfish keeping but your setups are kinda poison infusing.

Gonna start planning and go LFS hop to study the prices of equips all over again. JIC bro's PM would start the ball rolling =)
Hah! Welcome back to Aquascaping! Do update once you have your setup ready! Can let me know what equipments you are lookig out for, I can help you find out prices if I pass by any such shops. Need to make a trip down to NA in Thomson for my CO2 refill anyways.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #126
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Already have a 1.5ft planted, 2ft GF feeder tank and my 6'8" monster comm to maintain and potentially, the 4ft. You want me to add another Nano, bro?!?! I think my wife will hang me instead, if I even dare to suggest having another setup.
Hide it in your tank cabinet.. Lol!
I didn't know you had 4 tanks, that's quite a lot. I want about three permanent tanks in time, but I think they will all be nano tanks. A mini ADA gallery will be cool.

Quote:
I'm still toying around with ideas at the moment. Saw a few scapes that I'm interested in. Mainly those forest look with many straight tree trunks, creating some depth.. Thinking of Dwarf Hairgrass for foreground, with a bunch or 2 of Blyxa Japonica, some crypts for the color variations and some Eleocharis Vivipara in the background. Also, some mini fiss on the tree trunks and scattered rocks. If you google "Forest Aquascape" and select the images, there should be something like i in the first few pictures. Torn between going all wood or wood and stone hardscape.
I LOVE US Fissiden. I know what kind of scapes you are thinking about. Personally, I don't like straight pieces of wood. Here are a few scapes I like and will use as a template if I was going to do a 120cm aquascape.

Quote:
Hah, wrong person to ask, bro. I prob have my least success with mosses, whether it's CO2 injected or not, T5 or LED, ferts or no ferts, you get the picture... Lol. But personal opinion, mosses do best in cool water, no arguments there. My mini tank in the office has a bunch of Java Moss I stole off another colleague's tank. No CO2, no ferts, LED clip-on lights on 24/7, 2 endlers, 3 FR shrimp culls, a bunch of ramshorn and a simple air-powered hang-on filter that I DIY-ed. The moss is lush, green and the Nanas are never healthier looking. Key point, I think, is temp constant 22degs coz A/C is on 24/7.
I agree. For mosses, cold waters are the most beneficial above anything else.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #127
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OracleNemesis View Post

PMed you.

Now you got to start a new tank and journal. Haha.. We will love to follow your progress.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #128
JadeIceGreen

Default Day 4

Here is an FTS for Day 4. I won't do a FTS everyday as there is barely any changes yet and I don't want to bore everyone to sleep.

The plant that I added was Anubias. I bought about 3 pots' worth, so that I can get that perfect bunch to fit right in. Once again, aquascaping a small tank is all about getting details spot on.

Here are some statistics.

CO2: 1 bubble per second
Seachem Stability: 1ml
Seachem Potassium: 1.5ml
Seachem Iron: 1ml

No water change since Day 1.
No noticeable growth yet.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #129
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Omg, Isaac! Those are way, way far and beyond my skill level, bro! that's serious scaping! Lol. I doubt I have enough vision to create one of those. As you know, I'm horrible at hardscapes...
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #130
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Omg, Isaac! Those are way, way far and beyond my skill level, bro! that's serious scaping! Lol. I doubt I have enough vision to create one of those. As you know, I'm horrible at hardscapes...
They are inspirations bro! I found out that the easiest and fastest way to learn is to copy the masters. Then we learn the techniques and the rational behind these aquascapes.

Hardscape can always be rearranged and played with! Just have fun bro!