Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography > Aquatic Photography

Old 23-08-2002, 10:49 AM   #11
CDM

Quote:
Originally posted by yohji

Brother I also have 2x4feet lights leh .. hmm ..

So you mean you move the camera along with the fish? Do you press the shutter halfway first when you move with the fish or just press all the way and take the picture quickly?
Maybe my method is wrong because I focus on the fish and it swims away then I wait for it to come to roughly the same place then I capture. That means I only focus once.
I just saw your reply in Arrowana Boi's thread, and realized you set the shutter speed at 1/100 sec. I guess this is the reason why your pics are dark without flash light. In the tank light condition (without flash), I roughly say your setup maybe F2.0 & 1/30~1/40 sec shutter speed. When you set at 1/100, the F707 just accept the cammand and adjust the aperture to the max F2.0, so the exposure is not enough for saturating. That's why you got dark pics.

And, yes, I moved the camera with half-pressing the shutter (keep the focus) and along well with the moving fishes. Sometimes I don't even look at the LCD screen, I just keep eyes on the movement of both fish and camera, and make sure both of them move coherently. In this way, I can have higher chance to get clearer pics.

Your method is doable under flash light, but, I think it'll fail without flash. Actually, F707 has a superb auto focus ability among other digital cameras, there should be no prob of the auto focus. And, the hologram muti beam focus is acting when light condition is really low. I never found the hologram function triggered in my tank case. Since we got same 2X 4 feet tank light, guess yours won't trigger the function either.
Old 23-08-2002, 04:59 PM   #12
yohji

Quote:
Originally posted by CDM

I just saw your reply in Arrowana Boi's thread, and realized you set the shutter speed at 1/100 sec. I guess this is the reason why your pics are dark without flash light. In the tank light condition (without flash), I roughly say your setup maybe F2.0 & 1/30~1/40 sec shutter speed. When you set at 1/100, the F707 just accept the cammand and adjust the aperture to the max F2.0, so the exposure is not enough for saturating. That's why you got dark pics.

And, yes, I moved the camera with half-pressing the shutter (keep the focus) and along well with the moving fishes. Sometimes I don't even look at the LCD screen, I just keep eyes on the movement of both fish and camera, and make sure both of them move coherently. In this way, I can have higher chance to get clearer pics.

Your method is doable under flash light, but, I think it'll fail without flash. Actually, F707 has a superb auto focus ability among other digital cameras, there should be no prob of the auto focus. And, the hologram muti beam focus is acting when light condition is really low. I never found the hologram function triggered in my tank case. Since we got same 2X 4 feet tank light, guess yours won't trigger the function either.
Brother when you focus at the fish, the fish will swim towards/away from your camera, so the focus will be lost right (due to difference in distance)? Then how to press halfway to focus all the way (unless the fish swims 100% straight)?

I need to re-focus everytime the fish moves, even if I move along with the fish ...
Old 23-08-2002, 05:12 PM   #13
CDM

Quote:

Brother when you focus at the fish, the fish will swim towards/away from your camera, so the focus will be lost right (due to difference in distance)? Then how to press halfway to focus all the way (unless the fish swims 100% straight)?

I need to re-focus everytime the fish moves, even if I move along with the fish ...
haha, I know your prob, frontosas have a backward-swim trick (suddenly), and they always turning toward you while you stand infront the tank. Guess you have to do your usual way and try more shots. I think you have no choice. Need luck liao.
Old 23-08-2002, 09:54 PM   #14
yohji

Quote:
Originally posted by CDM

haha, I know your prob, frontosas have a backward-swim trick (suddenly), and they always turning toward you while you stand infront the tank. Guess you have to do your usual way and try more shots. I think you have no choice. Need luck liao.
Eh I think all fishes will like that except for arowana becos it is long .. it will swim in a very straight line.

For normal fish, they will sometimes swim more infront or more backwards .. so need to re-focus everytime it moves ..
Old 26-08-2002, 08:58 AM   #15
CDM

Quote:

Eh I think all fishes will like that except for arowana becos it is long .. it will swim in a very straight line.

For normal fish, they will sometimes swim more infront or more backwards .. so need to re-focus everytime it moves ..
Spend more time with the frontosa, let them get use to the camera (focus beam). I encountered the same situation with my all cichlids too, but, after I frequently aimed my camera to them for some period of time, they got use to it, and less scared while aiming the focus beam to them. Also, as they grow bigger, they'll be more confortable in front of the camera.
Old 26-08-2002, 09:25 AM   #16
yohji

Quote:
Originally posted by CDM

Spend more time with the frontosa, let them get use to the camera (focus beam). I encountered the same situation with my all cichlids too, but, after I frequently aimed my camera to them for some period of time, they got use to it, and less scared while aiming the focus beam to them. Also, as they grow bigger, they'll be more confortable in front of the camera.
I see .. if I have tripod then would be good, just place it there for the whole day hehe ..

When they get bigger they won't dash around right .. but as you know, frontosas take VERY long to grow big hehe .. I got to wait ..
Old 26-08-2002, 09:40 AM   #17
CDM

Quote:

I see .. if I have tripod then would be good, just place it there for the whole day hehe ..

When they get bigger they won't dash around right .. but as you know, frontosas take VERY long to grow big hehe .. I got to wait ..
I love frontosa, but I failed on all my frontosas (about 8), they all finally became meal of aros and bichirs. They just grew too slow. This is the only thing I have to complain on frontosa.