Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography > Aquatic Photography

Old 21-12-2002, 03:15 PM   #21
Derrick See

Dear CDM

My recent photo shoot was on the "TheRed"...my first VFSR. Code 2 was my second VFSR. It's more difficult to shot Code 2 due to the body colouration ( redder ) than the "TheRed". In order to gain the right colouration, I need photoshop to lighten the colouration. Only colouration editing...and nothing else. So it's a combination of camera and photoshop to achieve reasonable results.

Getting a good digital SLR will definitely remove the Photoshop usage. I have already make comparsion with the three prosumer digital SLR - Nikon D100, Fujifilm S2 and Cannon D60 at dpreview. I found one website where they make very detailed comparsion ( better than dpreview, only for these two cameras comparsion ) between D60 and D100. You can see the differences in quality of the photo. As what Dovii mentioned, D100 tends to underexpose. It was evident in the photos taken for D60 and D100. That website also make some comparsion on the history of Canon and Nikon. Quite interesting...relating to their history. But it is true that Nikon lens are much better as they started with len making before the creating camera bodies. But I find Sigma lenses are relatively good given the price/performance ratio. Tamron also manufacture winning awards lenses too.

I too went thru the comments of owners of the three cameras D100 , S2 and D60. Somehow, D100 still not up to its name. I am sure they will come up with a better model later...fixing some of the filmware superiority. In term of features, they lose out to S2. My concern is the maintenance and support from Fujifilm. Nikon is known for very good after sales support. You never know when an electronic camera will fail you in your next field photo session. Take another spare digital camera along then.
Old 23-12-2002, 09:49 AM   #22
CDM

Bro Derrick, what's the address of the website you mentioned? Me also want to refer.
And, have you decide yet (which camera you want to get)??? Man, a camera like that in your hands must bring out amazing photos of aros, can't wait to see liao.
Also agree that pre-post adjustment is sometimes necessary. Actually, that's exactly wat pros are doing in the darkroom. Just bring out the true color (or the wanted color for art like photos). Anyway, you got great aros, pro camera, and nice photography skill. You've got it all man, envy liao.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:03 PM   #23
Derrick See

Bro CDM,

Read somewhere...you are my senior..must pay my respect to you. hee hee...

I remember attending a 5 weeks photography in the army during my national service. Somemore, stay in from Monday to Friday. Everyday, look at photographs, attend lesson, practical photography, both indoor and outdoor photography with the assinged Pentax camera ( at that time, I don't own any SLR ) and working in the darkroom. I love the darkroom the most, coz I did lots of adjustment in contract, framing ( Black and white photography course ), no colour lah. Yes...pre-post adjustment of the yester years were cumbersome and tiring. During those days, I can spend half a day in the darkroom with all those chemical smell. But with digital...you need to spend more time on your photoshop.

Digital SLR will have to put to a hold now. Economy not good. Will get one at a later date. Meanwhile, keep stretching camera + software to their max.

Sorry, I do not provide regular reply in the forums. Luckily we have big brother CDM to move things in this forum.

Old 13-01-2003, 08:56 AM   #24
CDM

Bro Derrick,
I knew you quite busy since I first log in arofanatic, it's ok with us if you can keep posting high standard quality photos. I'm also quite busy these 2 months for my business, very sorry to all bros here. Hope I can finish this project before the 1st quarter, so can log in more.

Wah, your government let you learn darkroom stuffs during NS. I only learnt cannon stuffs during my military service. I knew darkroom things during collage, coz I studied microstructure of materials (metals, minerals, micro-organisms....). I used all kinds of microstructural observation equipments (optical or electronic). That experience help me to understand the relationships among DOF, aperture, contrast, light intensity, shutter speed,....

Anyway, I'm really glad that you post great aro photos more frequently recently, I really enjoy those photos.