Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography > Aquatic Photography

Old 15-01-2003, 10:26 PM   #1
5ft

Default How to solve this problem

Hi guys, need some advices. beginner here

I prefer to take pics of my fish without flash bcos the colors are more true and the overall pic looks more natural and nicer. However when I take the pics without flash its hard to take a clear pic due to the sudden movement of the fish. This problem is removed when the flash is used due to a faster shutter speed.

How should I solve this problem? thanks
Old 15-01-2003, 11:49 PM   #2
piertiong
Dragon

Default Re: How to solve this problem

Quote:
Originally posted by 5ft

I prefer to take pics of my fish without flash bcos the colors are more true and the overall pic looks more natural and nicer. However when I take the pics without flash its hard to take a clear pic due to the sudden movement of the fish. This problem is removed when the flash is used due to a faster shutter speed.

does your camera have manual settings like shutter speed or aperture?

it would help if your tank has lighting that is bright enough.
piertiong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2003, 03:04 PM   #3
5ft

hi piertiong, no my does not allow the control of shutter speed or aperture and getting a new cam is not a option at this moment

Do you guys take photo with or without flash? Do the photos look different with your cameras? Am I right to say, its is usually quite obvious to tell that a pic had been taken using a flash?

Last edited by 5ft; 16-01-2003 at 03:08 PM.
Old 16-01-2003, 05:35 PM   #4
piertiong
Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by 5ft
hi piertiong, no my does not allow the control of shutter speed or aperture and getting a new cam is not a option at this moment

Do you guys take photo with or without flash? Do the photos look different with your cameras? Am I right to say, its is usually quite obvious to tell that a pic had been taken using a flash?
some pictures using flash are not obvious at all, in such cases i believe they are using external flash to do the job.

currently i take pictures with flash because my tank room aka living room has only the room lighting and no tank lighting.
so the interior of the tank is quite dark and thus i have to use flash.

the situation will be different when i get strong tank lights next time(gotta wait a long long time).
Old 16-01-2003, 09:54 PM   #5
Gumalangi

Default Re: How to solve this problem

Quote:
Originally posted by 5ft

Hi there fren,...

If your're not using a digital camera then,... Aro photo taking is a tedious activity,.. as once you shot,.. thats it,....however there are few things you can add in order to somhow improve the photo quality,...

1. Increase your existing light,.. at least increase the watt,...

2. Haf a tripod,.. as moving aro is already difficult to be captured,.
not to mention your motion,..

3. Aim at the predicted point your aro will goes into,.. predict where your aro will move to and aim at it,..

4. normally aro movement got a tempo when going to repeat its movement,... so familiarize with it,.. haf a count if necessary,..

5. Play it with maximum aperture ,..should available(only on SLR camera)

6. Choose high ISO film,..(ISO400 is suitable)

this can apply to Digital camera as well,..... but of course with more advantage in the sense of non-stop shooting capacity,..and you can skip the point number 6.

Happy Aro Shooting
Old 16-01-2003, 10:26 PM   #6
piertiong
Dragon

Default Re: Re: How to solve this problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Gumalangi

6. Choose high ISO film,..(ISO400 is suitable)

this can apply to Digital camera as well,..... but of course with more advantage in the sense of non-stop shooting capacity,..and you can skip the point number 6.
Some DC have the option to change ISO speed too.
Old 17-01-2003, 12:01 AM   #7
Gumalangi

Default Re: Re: Re: How to solve this problem

Quote:
Originally posted by piertiong

Some DC have the option to change ISO speed too.
Agreed,..

however as for the manual camera,.. ISO film is fixed ,..

whereas for the DigiCam,.. this not a problem at all,...every shoot can change the film speed
Old 20-01-2003, 03:44 PM   #8
CDM

If you want to take photo for a moving aro without using flash light, the ISO and the tripods won't help much. You have to practise move the camera along the speed of the aro while keeping the distance constant between the camera and the aro. Make both relatively still.

Lighting is the most important thing of all (either tank light or external light). The brighter the better, and the brighter in the tank will help the focus better.

ISO can do some help, but higher ISO number has side effects like higher background noise, especially for those entry level DC.

Tripods make the DC steady, but since aro's moving, the shutter speed won't get fast enough to get rid of the blur image no matter what other settings are.
Old 20-01-2003, 03:59 PM   #9
Gumalangi

Hi there Bro CDM

Nice meeting you here,...

Infact I could take still and sharp aro even when its moving, one of the reason is am using a tripod,..

as for the ISO, yeah the pic quality down for its noise,..

Cheers
Old 20-01-2003, 08:41 PM   #10
CDM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gumalangi
Hi there Bro CDM

Nice meeting you here,...

Infact I could take still and sharp aro even when its moving, one of the reason is am using a tripod,..

as for the ISO, yeah the pic quality down for its noise,..

Cheers
haha, I saw that long barbels some otherplace, you use tripods on that pic also huh?