Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 28-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #31
globalcookie
Dragon

His 1 million dollar song.... one mistake... at the end, he said "Bt Batok Residents, if you have $1mil, support SDP". How many ppl hv $1mil? Those without, don't support SDP? Mistake.

But he played his family card well.
- PAP always sends their heavy weight but cold hearted team.
- Dr Chee brings along family. The family closeness and touch, more humane.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #32
Robson
Arofanatic

Opposition should have been more united and showed more support. I would imagine if various opposition parties (especially WP) turned up during nomination day just to voice support for SDP, it would have swung some votes.
Robson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 04:13 PM   #33
hkh
Arofanatic

Some hdb flats already hit $1M selling price..........
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #34
lenghan
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson View Post
Opposition should have been more united and showed more support. I would imagine if various opposition parties (especially WP) turned up during nomination day just to voice support for SDP, it would have swung some votes.
Or if during rallies, some Opposition members could be invited as guest speakers
lenghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #35
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenghan View Post
Or if during rallies, some Opposition members could be invited as guest speakers
I disagree.

This will be a case of Enemy of My Enemy is my Friend, Vote for the sake of Voting the PAP out.

Every party has it's own ideas and direction. If they are sooooo buddy buddy. den they will be 1 happy family liao lor.

Mrs Chiam did shoot SDP for using a picture of Chiam and Chee together stating that it does not mean they support SDP.
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 10:23 PM   #36
hkh
Arofanatic

Yes, think it is good enough for the Opposition parties to stop engaging in multi-corner fights that will split the opposition votes.........
Old 28-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #37
DinOBeeR
Arofanatic

His speech ish jin powderful.....one knife see blood tat type.....

"Every morning, when Mr Murali wakes up, his first destination will be his office. When I wake up every morning, my first destination is Bukit Batok. That’s the difference."
- Dr Chee Soon Juan, SDP Candidate for Bukit Batok By-Election
DinOBeeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 11:26 PM   #38
Ben
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinOBeeR View Post
His speech ish jin powderful.....one knife see blood tat type.....

"Every morning, when Mr Murali wakes up, his first destination will be his office. When I wake up every morning, my first destination is Bukit Batok. That’s the difference."
- Dr Chee Soon Juan, SDP Candidate for Bukit Batok By-Election
too bad residents only see the 'carrot'. its been a tried and tested strategy, "carrot and stick" works very well here.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 11:41 PM   #39
hkh
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
too bad residents only see the 'carrot'. its been a tried and tested strategy, "carrot and stick" works very well here.
Yes, even full time MP Ah Lian also lost her seat to part time MP.........
Old 29-04-2016, 12:08 AM   #40
DinOBeeR
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Another powderful write-up countering the carrot enticing tatic....

===============

https://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/20...sary-spending/

Murali’s unnecessary spending

The PAP candidate for the Bukit Batok by-election has promised a S$1.9m estate upgrading plan which will be implemented if he is elected as its Member of Parliament.

Before we readily applaud this, let us go back about 7 months – to September 2015, in the heat of the general election.

The former incumbent MP of the ward, David Ong – who has since resigned his position after some personal indiscretions – had promised a 5-year plan for Bukit Batok.

The plans would cost S$24 million.

According to news reports of his rally speech then, Mr Ong announced that this would include remaking the market in the estate and its surrounding areas, improving the shops in the ward, constructing a new hawker centre, as well as a new eldercare centre and two new early childhood education centres.

Mr Murali’s plans seems to be dwarfed by this, his main offering being a “3-generation park” in the west of the estate. But as I wrote earlier, even this doesn’t seem to be anything new. The URA had already planned for parks in Bukit Batok in its own 5-year Master Plan of 2013. (See here.)

But the question which Bukit Batok residents should ask is this:

Has Ong’s 5-year Master Plan died with his resignation? Wouldn’t this be unfair, if it were? It is not Bukit Batok residents’ fault that Ong had personal indiscretions, and had to resign his post.

Surely, his promise should be continued and honoured by his party?

After all, resident voters did give him their vote of support, based on what he – and his party – had promised.

It cannot be that an election promise, a serious matter, which is made to tens of thousands of residents, is discounted if an MP has personal improprieties.

But if the plans had not died, then does Murali need to spend more of taxpayers’ money for more such infrastructure? Is it necessary spending, given that there is already a “5 -year MASTER PLAN” for the SMC in place?

If the 5-year plan was still in place, is it necessary to be spending another S$2m a mere 7 months after the masterplan promise was made?

Is it a responsible way to use public funds?

Is it wise to be spending so much extra money at a time when perhaps there are other more pressing priorities?

Bear in mind this, if you have not noticed it: there are already TWO 5-year master plans running parallel in Bukit Batok SMC – one by the URA and the other by the Jurong-Clementi Town Council.

I think Bukit Batok residents should not fall into the trap that more such largesse is good – for at the end of the day, all these would require upkeeping. And that means residents will have to fork out the cost of maintenance out of their own pockets, through paying service and conservancy charges.

So, residents should ask Mr Murali about the 5-year Master Plan, and why they (as taxpayers) should ultimately be forking out for more such “upgrading”.

Pork barrel politics should only be allowed to go so far, if at all.
DinOBeeR is offline   Reply With Quote