Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 04-07-2009, 04:07 AM   #1
aquariumfan

Default solenoid problem

Hi, ive just gotten my co2 set for less than a week. but my solenoid, the manual 1 not electric 1. kinda have a little problem.

i started of with 1 bubble per second, but after 30 min the thing just stop so i increase the amount of bubble to 2. but after more than 30 min it stopped again. as in totally no air release. no bubble appearing in the bubble counter. then i tried more than 3 bubble per second but the same thing happen.

was wondering was is wrong with my solenoid? or is it expected for a non electric solenoid? if thats the case may i know whats the benefit for a electric solenoid and the avg price for it? and also how to use it?? thanks!!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
the_r0ck

Its a manual regulator?

Did you open the top valve (the big one on the cylinder) to the maximum?
Old 05-07-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
aquariumfan

yap. its a manual 1. i opened the top 1 to the max already. the the smaller knob to control the amount of bubble. but just keep stopping. i called up NA which i got the equipment from. what i was told that its normal for it to happen and was recommended to upgrade to a electric solenoid ( FYI i gotten it for less than a week and i was not told about the CONS when i asked him about the differences ). i went down to seaview and when i ask, i was told that they have encountered quite a lot of their cust with that manual regulator with the same problem and they replaced their solenoid for them. sighh talking about after services
Old 05-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
the_r0ck

Well, to be fair to all the shop owners out there, we ourselves should also try to check around to ensure that we make more informed choices.

Anyway for manual regulators it should take some time to have a stable BPS rate. I have encountered a manual regulator that took a few days to stabilize and maintain the BPS. Higher quality manual regulators would not have this issue, but you have to pay top dollar for it.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
stewpidity

Yeap i got this problem with my regulator as well...over time the BPS seems to decrease. I tried 1 method that seems to work for me though...try to attain your desired BPS while turning 'on' the knob instead of 'off'. It should reduce the problem i think...no harm giving it a try yea..