Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Betta Forum

Old 16-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
swish

Default help!! difference between male and female plakat

how to tell plakat female and male. my female looks so much like the male and i have mated them before now i cannot tell the difference. the egg spot is on both of them, their fins are as big. any sure tell sign? it is a red dragon. i will be breeding it with my white dragon hence i need to know the sex. the one that i suspected is the female happens to blow bubble nest which is not surprising for female to blow nest too. i am confuse now.
Old 16-03-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
homura

maybe some pics, easier for us to help
Old 16-03-2011, 01:26 AM   #3
DragonJon

Female betta look plump when full with eggs and has vertical stress bar when she ready for breeding.
Old 16-03-2011, 02:26 AM   #4
MonsterBettaGL

try looking at their gills when they flare , if they are the same size , the female's gills should be smaller than the male . but i think they are the same sex from what you said , probably 2 females .
Old 16-03-2011, 02:44 AM   #5
swish

i have mated them before but forgotten which is the male so i'm very sure one is male and one is female. they are white hence cannot see the bars strips on her. The white dragon is new and is suspect it is also a female. i'll post the pics when i take them tomorrow. but i still need to know as i have a batch of their babies which i will have to separate them soon male and female.
Old 16-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
MonsterBettaGL

hmm... sometimes the female's deportment might be on par with the male .i believe you were able to identify them before you spawn them , if not the spawn would not be successful . what made me curious is , through my experience , you should be able to identify your own betta as you always see them especially when conditioning , you would observe them alot .
maybe you can try using another male to flare at them and observe their body language did you check their 'beard' ?
just hope their vigor are not identical like the size fins and all ....
but if worse comes to worst , when your new betta arrives (take it as a female like you suspected ) , just assume one of your red is a male and perform a spawn , see what happens . if they did not spawn for 3 days after releasing , take them out and recondition , then try the other red , remember to condition properly or both attempts will fail for sure . this is a shortcut to spawn them without identifying , not really dangerous if female and female , but remember to watch closely for male and male signs .
who knows your white might be a male , lol .
and , identifying them is not a feat , but if their body are the same size , the male's caudal should be bigger when they are adult .
if you dont want to risk maybe you can look at more pictures at google to help you . or wait for more replies .
Old 16-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
CullTail
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterBettaGL View Post
try looking at their gills when they flare , if they are the same size , the female's gills should be smaller than the male .
seriously?
CullTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
MonsterBettaGL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CullTail View Post
seriously?
yeah you know the meat underneath the gills . can only be seen when flaing , my obervayions
Old 16-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
CullTail
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterBettaGL View Post
yeah you know the meat underneath the gills . can only be seen when flaing , my obervayions
okkkk
CullTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
BettaFaNatiC
Senior Dragon

About the gills.. I think it just happens that males are generally mroe stout and larger so it seems they have bigger gills but i dont think thats a good gauge...

heres what i compiled along with the extent its reliable, hope it helps, cheers.. in summary, egg sac is the best indicator.

http://bettafanism.blogspot.com/p/ge...ification.html

BettaFaNatiC is offline   Reply With Quote