Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 13-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
spgohjc

Default Lumiq nano tank

Hi bros & sis,
I plan to use the smallest Lumqi nano tank to setup a nano marine tank consisting of small fishes, maybe about 3 pieces. Gravel filtration. Any comments, good or bad appreciated. Newbie here
TIA.
Old 13-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
illumnae
Dragon

The smaller the tank, the harder it is to keep water parameters in control. Undergravel filtration is also not generally used in marine tanks.
illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
spgohjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
The smaller the tank, the harder it is to keep water parameters in control. Undergravel filtration is also not generally used in marine tanks.
Thanks for your input. Now looking at the OF nano marine tank 16L using back filter. Can I have a bare tank only with no sand or rocks? Keeping nemo probably.
Old 13-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
sgslic
Arofanatic

I've kept a pair of clown fishes in a IQ5...
np at all...
sgslic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
spgohjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgslic View Post
I've kept a pair of clown fishes in a IQ5...
np at all...
Sweet. That's my intent also, well maybe 3 for me.
Old 14-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #6
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

get the biggest possible tank set. at least the 34L nano.. any smaller is really very cruel for the fishes..
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
spgohjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
get the biggest possible tank set. at least the 34L nano.. any smaller is really very cruel for the fishes..
Space. Best affordable. Shoe box apartment.
Old 14-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
KaLiB

Not really a good idea to go for a completely bare tank without rocks or sand. In nature, marine fishes hide within the reef or the seabed. Keeping marine fish in a bare tank without sand or rocks is generally not advisable as it adds unnecessary stress to the fish.

You also forgo the benefits of having a sandbed and live rocks(assuming your buying live rocks). These help improve the aesthetics of the tank, provide shelter for the fish as well as perform biological filtration.
Old 14-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
spgohjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
Not really a good idea to go for a completely bare tank without rocks or sand. In nature, marine fishes hide within the reef or the seabed. Keeping marine fish in a bare tank without sand or rocks is generally not advisable as it adds unnecessary stress to the fish.

You also forgo the benefits of having a sandbed and live rocks(assuming your buying live rocks). These help improve the aesthetics of the tank, provide shelter for the fish as well as perform biological filtration.
Thanks for your inputs. I will try with a sand bed and live rocks (not sure if it will still be alive without a chiller).

I just got a Rainbow nano tank, think the smallest one. Don't want a big tank, otherwise no longer call a nano or pico. Whole idea is small and cute to look at, though a challenge in maintaining water parameters.

Some newbie questions with marine tanks... compared to fresh water. I know I can get the answers from the web but your experiences is very much valued.

1. Do I still add anti-chlorine as per the fresh water requirements?
2. How do i increase the PH of the water to about 8.1-8.4 (nominal 7.0) ? Add coral chips, or sodium bicarbonate?
3. Can I still use the same BB stuff such as biozyme like in the freshwater?

TIA
Old 14-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
Royston
Dragon

2ft cube is still consider a nano tank in marine. Tried to keep a pico tank with those betta tank(0.5ft) only can keep clown & sexy shrimps the rest always up lorry very suddenly. Stick to IQ5 or OF 34liter tanks to be safe.
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote